Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
THE WIKI IS NOT UP TO DATE - IT WOULD BE UPDATED IN DUE COURSE

Please read the WIKI before asking your question as it has the most essential information about the Miles&Smiles extensions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As 31 March 2020;
- Turkish Airlines has extended every member's status for another 6 months and members' requalification periods ( on 31 March 2020 ) are extended to 18 months.
- The expiry date of current Elite Plus vouchers is extended for 6 months. The next Elite Plus vouchers that are scheduled to be deposited to your account would be deposited 6 months later than the original date.

Example Scenarios:

Original Card Expiry: 30 September 2020
New Card Expiry: 31 March 2021 ( 2nd Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 2nd Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 April 2021 ( if requalified )

Original Card Expiry: 31 January 2022
New Card Expiry: 31 July 2022 ( 1st Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 1st Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 July 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 August 2021

- The 12 month period for status qualification/upgrade still remains the same. However, TK doubled the number ( limit ) of purchasable status miles for those who were close to a status upgrade.

Print Wikipost

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer LH
I just think they should additional to the 6 month Status extension also reduce the requirements to earn or renew the Status by at least 10% to 20% for this year like some other Airlines already do. As Intl. flights remain cancelled until at least end of May. And afterwards nobody will know the restrictions which may apply for international flights. I just believe an extension of the current Status for 6 month is in this current situation not enough for many Business Travelers.
I have asked about a reduction of qualification requirements but so far not received any feedback.
Hi Frequent Flyer LH and welcome to FlyerTalk,

TK hasn't reduced the requirements but to renew status, they have already extended the 12+12 month renewal period to 12+18 or 18+12 depending on your status expiry year.
For status upgrades, they have doubled the number of purchasable status miles which I think it's fair.

By the way, I think that TK would start a status miles multiplier promo when things get start to get normal for those who were seeking to upgrade status.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer LH
I just think they should additional to the 6 month Status extension also reduce the requirements to earn or renew the Status by at least 10% to 20% for this year like some other Airlines already do. As Intl. flights remain cancelled until at least end of May. And afterwards nobody will know the restrictions which may apply for international flights. I just believe an extension of the current Status for 6 month is in this current situation not enough for many Business Travelers.
I have asked about a reduction of qualification requirements but so far not received any feedback.
I think it's an either/or gesture

The premise is you'll miss around 4 / 6 months opportunity to fly. Meaning you'll be 4/6 months-worth short on your points/miles for status renewal.

Solution is either
  • Give you a bundle of points to make up for it

or
  • Give you an extra six months to fly, to make up your lost opportunity

Both would be nice. But it's in cake and eat it territory
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think eventually they will go to a year, as that seems to be what everyone else is doing/will ultimately do.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Points?

Any word on point expiration dates being extended? I'm still showing a lot of points expiring at the end of the year. Would think that they would extend those as they have been extending status.
336 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
Any word on point expiration dates being extended? I'm still showing a lot of points expiring at the end of the year. Would think that they would extend those as they have been extending status.
Nothing on mileage expiration dates yet announced by TK.
Probably, they would wait until December to announce the extension ( if it happens ) to pursue people to book tickets for early next year rather than 2022.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:17 am

The feedback team today told me that there is no change in the issue date of Elite Plus certificates. Here is the Turkish message from them:

"Ayrıca, kart seviyelerinin ilk yıl dönemi için 12 ay kriterinde bir değişikliğe gidilmediğini ilave etmek isteriz. Bu kapsamda ise yeni döneme ait ücretsiz upgrade haklarınız da 11 Eylül 2020 tarihi itibariyle yani Elite Plus üyeliğinizin ikinci dönemine geçiş sağladığınızda üyeliğinize sistem tarafından otomatik olarak dahil edileceğini iletmek isteriz."
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
The feedback team today told me that there is no change in the issue date of Elite Plus certificates.
I'm not sure if that means:
a) i'll have 2 extended-life vouchers between my July 2020 anniversary and next February + 2 new vouchers issued in July 2020 valid to July 2021.
b) no vouchers issued July 2020, so the six months from February 2021 will be an empty zone for vouchers.

It's awkward having a second anniversary date within the programme, 6-months out of kilter with the annual and biennial dates defining membership. Unless you live and breath the M&S programme, it gets complicated. Really I wouldn't mind complicated if I thought the airline had a system that could handle it smoothly, but.....

I wonder if they are expecting another 6-month push forward - that would bring voucher issue back into synch with the renewal dates.

My wish for increased transparency is fixed on a website/app display of vouchers ready for use, and their expiry date
DaveS likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like its gone exactly the way you and I, Ian, predicted it would back in April!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
On points expiration, are there any anecdotes of contacting customer services to request an extension (points expiring december and can't see how I can use them with the current status of the travel corridors from UK).
Old Oct 5, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
Originally mine expires June 2021. Then extended to Dec 2021. Now it expires Dec 2022. Happy with the extension. However if I meet my year one qualification (achieved Jan 2020), does that mean I have until Dec 2024 now?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
On points expiration, are there any anecdotes of contacting customer services to request an extension (points expiring december and can't see how I can use them with the current status of the travel corridors from UK).
You might try your luck but 99.99% it would be a no.
IMO, an extension would be made but it wouldn't be before late-December.

Originally Posted by scrappydog
Originally mine expires June 2021. Then extended to Dec 2021. Now it expires Dec 2022. Happy with the extension. However if I meet my year one qualification (achieved Jan 2020), does that mean I have until Dec 2024 now?
Exactly
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: DL DM, TK ELP, LA PASS Black, FB Platinum
As I saw here due to the COVID-19 pandemic the first year of the status is extended to 18 month. I just logged in the account of my wife. She reached elite status in July 2019. So the first year is finishing 31st. of july 2020 and with the extention of 6 month now 31.st of january 2021.In the first year she need to accumulate 25.000 miles to nenew the status. Since august 2020 she has accumulated 12445 miles. So usually she only need 12555 miles until end of january 2021. But the account now shows that she need 25055 miles. That means that she is already in the second year of the qualification period and there is no 6 month extended time to fullfill the qualification requirements. Has anybody the same problem?

If it is like this for me it could have some more consequences. I am a ElitePlus member. My second year of the qualification time was end of october 2020 and I need about 9000 miles to reach the renew qualification requirements. With the extend of the status I should have time until end of april 2021. But now I am not sure anymore if this is truth. If the qualification period is not changing I have only a few days to accumulate the missing 9.000 miles.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by JorgeGomez
As I saw here due to the COVID-19 pandemic the first year of the status is extended to 18 month. I just logged in the account of my wife. She reached elite status in July 2019. So the first year is finishing 31st. of july 2020 and with the extention of 6 month now 31.st of january 2021.In the first year she need to accumulate 25.000 miles to nenew the status. Since august 2020 she has accumulated 12445 miles. So usually she only need 12555 miles until end of january 2021. But the account now shows that she need 25055 miles. That means that she is already in the second year of the qualification period and there is no 6 month extended time to fullfill the qualification requirements. Has anybody the same problem?

If it is like this for me it could have some more consequences. I am a ElitePlus member. My second year of the qualification time was end of october 2020 and I need about 9000 miles to reach the renew qualification requirements. With the extend of the status I should have time until end of april 2021. But now I am not sure anymore if this is truth. If the qualification period is not changing I have only a few days to accumulate the missing 9.000 miles.
Tell your wife to send inquery about her qualification period extention through TK feedback form. Qualification period has changed for everybody at least for 6 months, for many the 12 months extention has posted to account. You should see the actual period ending date in your account on Elite Plus protection page.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For everyone, the first requalification cycle is, unfortunately, the same. The second requalification period is the only cycle is extended 18 months.

So for JorgeGomez 's wife's case.

She qualified Elite on July 2019
She should have achieved 25000 miles until 31 July 2020 to fulfill the first year requalification period. ( No extension on this )
Now she has until 31 January 2022 to achieve a total of 37500 miles ( obtained between July 2019 and January 2022 ). The second year of requalification is extended 18 months. She would need 25055 miles until 31 January 2022.

For JorgeGomez 's case

He (re)qualified Elite Plus on November 2018
His first requalification period has ended in November 2019.
As on 5 October 2020, he needs 9000 miles to requalify his status. He has achieved 51000 status miles since November 2018. As his second year of requalification is extended 18 months, he needs to achieve 9000 miles until 31 May 2021.
vincewy and JorgeGomez like this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
What about our status? We have received new card saying that our new status is valid through September 2021. The thing is that we completed 25000 miles in February 2020 (our old membership date was March 31), so I guess we'll have elite until September 2023?

The funny thing is that Mr made his elite in September 2019 and he was really close to 25000 within his first year of membership (we expected him to make it back in April but of course no one could travel at that time). He got an email from TK saying they extended his membership for a year. I guess he has another year to make 37500 miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.