Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
THE WIKI IS NOT UP TO DATE - IT WOULD BE UPDATED IN DUE COURSE

Please read the WIKI before asking your question as it has the most essential information about the Miles&Smiles extensions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As 31 March 2020;
- Turkish Airlines has extended every member's status for another 6 months and members' requalification periods ( on 31 March 2020 ) are extended to 18 months.
- The expiry date of current Elite Plus vouchers is extended for 6 months. The next Elite Plus vouchers that are scheduled to be deposited to your account would be deposited 6 months later than the original date.

Example Scenarios:

Original Card Expiry: 30 September 2020
New Card Expiry: 31 March 2021 ( 2nd Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 2nd Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021
New vouchers would be deposited
on: 1 April 2021 ( if requalified )

Original Card Expiry: 31 January 2022
New Card Expiry: 31 July 2022 ( 1st Re-Qualification period extended 6 months )
Now
in: 1st Re-Qualification Period
If Elite Plus member;

Revised expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 July 2021
on: 1 August 2021

- The 12 month period for status qualification/upgrade still remains the same. However, TK doubled the number ( limit ) of purchasable status miles for those who were close to a status upgrade.

Print Wikipost

Status extension and miles expiry (COVID related)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
I just received an email from TK that looks good for the vouchers:
"...we have extended the status expiration dates and free cabin upgrade period for 6 months. We also doubled purchasing limits of Status Miles. Also we double the limit of Status Miles Purchase. "

the question is just for how long they double the purchasing limit (you could buy 10k for the 2 year period to reach the 60k needed, so now 40k in 2 years + buying 20k should be enough).

with "free cabin upgrades" they refer to the vouchers for E+, I think

Last edited by zap7; Apr 7, 2020 at 2:34 pm Reason: typos + spacing
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Scenario #1

Edit: Only for requalification, not for qualification
Originally Posted by johnsw1988
With the 6 month elite extension, does anyone have/hear any update regarding the qualification period? Is it now:
  1. 18 month qualification period.
  2. the first 6 months qualification gets reset, and restarts from month 7-18?
  3. qualification period remains the same from month 1 to month 12 (rolling 1 year qualification with no extension)

This is a great graphic. Thanks johnsw1988 for sharing this. So, OP / ISTFlyer does point number 1 say that your next status requalification period is now reduced from 24 months to 18 months due to the current status extensions?

The second point, which, if I understand correctly is getting your status period reset and starting at month 7 for the normal 24 month requalification period is much more possible.

This is a great question / graphic and something that I had asked in my first post in this thread. And, still confused due to lack of information from TK! Now, only if TK extends the validity of expiring miles (didn't see that mentioned in the email that I received today, though). Still, thankful to TK for this gesture.

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
6 more months for me as well! However, since I had already 're-qualified' / 'protected' my status, not too worried about that. I AM THANKFUL to TK for doing that, though.

So, will the requal period now begin at the end of the extended status validity period, or will it be the same: for example, if my requal period is from 31 Jan 2021 through to 31 Jan 2023, Will it now be 30th Jun 2021 to 30th Jun 2023 or 30th Jun 2021 through to 31 Jan 2023?

Also, I hope TK extends the validity of expiring miles as well!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
This is a great graphic. Thanks johnsw1988 for sharing this. So, OP / ISTFlyer does point number 1 say that your next status requalification period is now reduced from 24 months to 18 months due to the current status extensions?

The second point, which, if I understand correctly is getting your status period reset and starting at month 7 for the normal 24 month requalification period is much more possible.

This is a great question / graphic and something that I had asked in my first post in this thread. And, still confused due to lack of information from TK! Now, only if TK extends the validity of expiring miles (didn't see that mentioned in the email that I received today, though). Still, thankful to TK for this gesture.
To clarify

If you were in your first year of requalification as 31 Mar 2020

1st requalification period - Month 1 to Month 18
2nd requalification period - Month 19 to Month 30

If you were in your second year of requalification as 31 Mar 2020

1st requalification period - Month 1 to Month 12
2nd requalification period - Month 13 to Month 30
vincewy and DaveS like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
To clarify

Originally Posted by zap7
I just received an email from TK that looks good for the vouchers:
"...we have extended the status expiration dates and free cabin upgrade period for 6 months. We also doubled purchasing limits of Status Miles. Also we double the limit of Status Miles Purchase. "
So it means my upgrade vouchers this membership year are also extended another 6 months.

I can visit one of the sales office although no rush, everyone is busy dealing with cancellation/rebooking but good to know.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by vincewy
So it means my upgrade vouchers this membership year are also extended another 6 months.

I can visit one of the sales office although no rush, everyone is busy dealing with cancellation/rebooking but good to know.
Yes, the validity of Elite Plus vouchers are extended for 6 months.
However, you would receive your new qualification period starts ( Start of 2nd requalification period or just after your status is extended for another 2 years )

Example Scenarios:

Current Card Expiry: 31 March 2021
Currently
Expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021

Original Card Expiry: 31 January 2022
Current Card Expiry: 31 July 2022
Currently
in: 1st Re-Qualification Period
Expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 July 2021
on: 1 August 2021
vincewy likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
I did get a reply to my feedback:

Dear ,

First of all, we are sorry for the inconveniences caused by the Coronavirus.

Unfortunately, some restrictions were imposed on our flights due to the pandemic, the effect of which is felt all over the world and in line with the decisions taken by the country authorities. We share the requests of our passengers whose membership levels are affected by this situation with our authorized teams.

Accordingly we have fixed the system error and extended the expire date of Elite, Elite Plus members 6 more months.

We thank you for your understanding and wish to meet you on healthy and enjoyable days.

Sincerely Yours,

Nevzat D.
Elite / Elite Plus Customer Representative

TURKISH AIRLINES INC.
Customer Contact Center
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:37 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Yes, the validity of Elite Plus vouchers are extended for 6 months.
However, you would receive your new qualification period starts ( Start of 2nd requalification period or just after your status is extended for another 2 years )

Example Scenarios:

Current Card Expiry: 31 March 2021
Currently
Expiry date of active ELPL vouchers: 31 March 2021
This is exactly my scenario, validity now extended until March 31st, 2021. Yes my second year's vouchers will be pushed back also 6 months which I'm perfectly OK with. In fact, I would have trouble figuring out how to use this year's vouchers with all the sales of J from TK and partner airlines.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vincewy
This is exactly my scenario, validity now extended until March 31st, 2021. Yes my second year's vouchers will be pushed back also 6 months which I'm perfectly OK with. In fact, I would have trouble figuring out how to use this year's vouchers with all the sales of J from TK and partner airlines.
There are ex-EU transatlantic deals ( U fare class 25% mileage ) for €450 r/t at the moment, which you could use ELPL vouchers. And, as you're in your second year, I assume that you don't need any more status miles until March 2021.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the convenience of members and visitors here in this thread, I've created a WIKI explaining how the status extension process.
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:22 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
To clarify

First thanks for the the informations you are giving and the great job you are doing

Does it mean that the dates of the membership has definitely changed and will be Month 19 to Month 30 forever ?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G_G
First thanks for the the informations you are giving and the great job you are doing

Does it mean that the dates of the membership has definitely changed and will be Month 19 to Month 30 forever ?
No. It only applies to members who originally had an expiry date between April 2021 and March 2022 ( inclusive ).
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:36 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
No. It only applies to members who originally had an expiry date between April 2021 and March 2022 ( inclusive ).
I'm sorry but it isn't clear enough.
My membership expiry date was 30 june 2021 and became 31 december 2021, so for me my new membership dates will be 1st January 2022 to 31 december 2024 (I've already renewed) ?
Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G_G
I'm sorry but it isn't clear enough.
My membership expiry date was 30 june 2021 and became 31 december 2021, so for me my new membership dates will be 1st January 2022 to 31 december 2024 (I've already renewed) ?
Thanks
Your status extension would take place on 1 January 2022 and your status would be valid until 31 December 2023 ( not 2024 ).
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Your status extension would take place on 1 January 2022 and your status would be valid until 31 December 2023 ( not 2024 ).
I assume that we will have new dates for qualification period?

Mr. became Elite in September 2019 - we were expecting to fly this April so he could re-qualify with 25k status miles within the first year, so he has another 6 months to do it or what? Can someone please explain?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
I assume that we will have new dates for qualification period?

Mr. became Elite in September 2019 - we were expecting to fly this April so he could re-qualify with 25k status miles within the first year, so he has another 6 months to do it or what? Can someone please explain?
His original expiry date was 30 September 2021. Now it should be 31 March 2022. He could requalify with 25k miles until 31 March 2021.

If he is able to requalify, the next requalification period would be 24 months ( 12+12 ) rather than the current ( 18+12 ) one. The +6 month extension on the current requalification period is one-time only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.