Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
As 7 November 2020, The options if your travel is affected and the informations about refunds parts are moved to the new guide thread specific to the topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-be/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/

This thread would continue to provide information about potential border closures, major schedule changes, and any restrictions on TK flights in the future.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines.

CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS

TK and AnadoluJet have resumed domestic flights on 1 June 2020. Almost all domestic routes have been resumed with reduced frequencies.
TK and AnadoluJet have resumed international flights on 11 June 2020. Please consider the short-haul operations and long-haul operations threads for more details on operating routes.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks.

Currently there are no restrictions to enter Turkey or to transfer at Turkey. There is also no COVID test requirement for both entering Turkey and transit ( unless you are departing from Pakistan or your arrival country asks for one ) and no quarantine upon entering Turkey.

Some countries have not opened their airports for passenger flights from/to Turkey so Turkish Airlines is not operating to all of their destinations. More information could be found in the respective threads.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
He is still on TV, for those who want to watch Mr. İlker Aycı live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upID...ature=youtu.be
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
In addition to what starflyergold mentioned, Mr. İlker Aycı ( TK Chairman of Board ) has announced that,

- They would give a voucher for future travel ( 15% of the actual ticket price paid ) for those who will not cancel their tickets but convert it to open-jaw.
AFAIU: If you decide to convert a €1000 ticket to open-jaw rather than cancel it, they would give a €150 voucher for future travel. ( Maybe taxes would not be included )
- Also, they would give 1000 miles per 10 euros paid if the ticket is converted to open-jaw.
AFAIU: If you decide to convert a €500 euro ticket to open jaw rather than cancel it, they would credit 50000 M&S miles to your account.

Source in Turkish:

Sorry for the bad translation. If I have would be able to gather more information, I would share it here.
Well shoot, had I known, I would not have cancelled my ticket...
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Well shoot, had I known, I would not have cancelled my ticket...
Me too!
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, Air Canada Aeroplan
Cancellation

I cancelled my business class tickets from YUL to BKK on March 13. In people's experience, when shall I get my refund?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just cancelled a ticket for a flight that was cancelled yesterday, they told me that currently it can take UP TO 45 DAYS to get the full refund as they are overwhelmed at the moment, and expect that to continue!
starflyergold likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Extra miles for postponing trips because of COVID-19

Came across in One mile at a time: Anyone knows anything about such a programme? I don't seem to find them on the official website....

According to Daily Sabah, Turkish Airlines’ Chairman has indicated a very generous policy for those who choose to keep a ticket credit with the airline, rather than get a refund:
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
The TK Chairman of Board, Mr. İlker Aycı has mentioned this on a TV program in Turkey, yesterday ( Sunday 22nd ) morning. I have also shared some information, quite the same as OMAAT and Daily Sabah shared.

Work hours in Turkey for the new week has started just now, so my prediction would be that we would see the details, in the upcoming days.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
  • The company will offer 1,000 bonus miles for every 10EUR of the ticket price that they choose to postpone rather than refund
That's cheaper than buying miles, right?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
That's cheaper than buying miles, right?
If you want to purchase miles, you could purchase 1000 bonus miles for 30 euros so this offer is quite generous.
However, as many people would have problems with their salaries, etc... they would still prefer a full refund compared to this generous offer.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the last ticket that I dealt with, I took it as an open ticket through the end of the year. For this one I took the full refund, I do not regret it. Despite some of the issues that some people have made about TK, here and in other places, TK has consistently been more above board and fair to customers in regards to changing and refunding tickets than any other airline. Take a look at the criticisms that most of the US and other European carriers have been receiving. I actually asked the agent I dealt with about the bonus offer, and they knew nothing about it, personally I did not want to wait until the policy eventually got posted, or whether it would change, or whatever, so just went for the full refund. I suspect that it will take less than 45 days.
Danny Martello likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
We have business class tickets booked MAN-MRU for June 2020 and wish to change to December 2020.
I emailed their Manchester airport office and was told they cant deal with it.
Can anyone please tell me which number(s) I should phone to ask for a zero change fee?
Thank you.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I greatly appreciate all the advice I have been given. Hfly, I meant no disrespect by calling him a lurker-it is what I generically refer to as the expert or two on each thread. And as to your advice about getting a refund, unfortunately, it didn't apply to my case as I had two flights on my award ticket, the first - JFK to Istanbul was not cancelled and is still not cancelled. The second, Istanbul to Cairo was cancelled by the airline. I was told Saturday night that if I did not call to cancel the first flight, I would be a no show and lose my rights. So I called Saturday night, waited an hour, and then was hung up on as the agent could not hear me. I called last night and the toll free number did not work. I called to Turkey, placed on hold for a half hour, and then hung up on as the agent could not hear me. I called back, was placed on hold for half an hour and finally got thru to someone who cancelled my trip, but that took another half hour and I had to apply to get my miles reinstated as they expire. So I finally got my award ticket cancelled.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Runner123
I greatly appreciate all the advice I have been given. Hfly, I meant no disrespect by calling him a lurker-it is what I generically refer to as the expert or two on each thread. And as to your advice about getting a refund, unfortunately, it didn't apply to my case as I had two flights on my award ticket, the first - JFK to Istanbul was not cancelled and is still not cancelled. The second, Istanbul to Cairo was cancelled by the airline. I was told Saturday night that if I did not call to cancel the first flight, I would be a no show and lose my rights. So I called Saturday night, waited an hour, and then was hung up on as the agent could not hear me. I called last night and the toll free number did not work. I called to Turkey, placed on hold for a half hour, and then hung up on as the agent could not hear me. I called back, was placed on hold for half an hour and finally got thru to someone who cancelled my trip, but that took another half hour and I had to apply to get my miles reinstated as they expire. So I finally got my award ticket cancelled.
Don't worry, I could understand your feeling, especially when in panic mode, trying to get your money back and when thinking about your health.

If you mentioned that your onward connection was canceled, I would have told you would always be able to get a refund. As you mentioned the term "Africa", flights to several African countries still operate and flights to New York are still operating so for example, if you were flying JFK-IST-ADD, you wouldn't be able to get a refund and if you didn't show up at the airport without any action you would be considered as a no-show and lose your rights but as you were flying to Egypt, you were lucky, flights are canceled to Egypt and this is considered as an involuntary change so you are able to get a refund and you would get it. In your original post, you were seeking for a voluntary change in your ticket. These days, every hour, TK implements something new and it's not easy to track it.

By the way, for mileage awards with the exception of promotional awards, you could always get a refund of the taxes & additional surcharges for $25 before the flight and for $50 in case of a no-show.

Not only for your case but for most cases with limited details, I always tell the worst case scenario as sometimes actions not taken on time could cost more than it would.

-----

For everyone reading here, as TK is using a pooled call center system for their English service, they are probably using an IP phone system so there might be connection issues such as voice transmission, etc... so it's highly normal to have issues with calls. If you could speak another language than English in a mother-tongue level, you could consider calling the call center for that language. Especially this suggestion is for Turkish people living abroad ( a.k.a. those people who prefer to tweet TK in English as they think that they would get better help ), the wait-times for the Turkish speaking hotline is pretty low and I was always connected immediately during this week. I assume that the situation is same for the German, Spanish, French, etc... lines.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I concur, I found that NOT pressing the "English" button and using Turkish did get me a quicker answer time for my last ticket change.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UPDATE as today:

- The SAW domestic lounge has closed. All passengers are invited to use the normal terminal. ( I don't know if they are handing meal vouchers )
- For all flights ( except for ER flights: over 8 hours ) to minimize crew-passenger interaction, the meal service is decreased to a pre-packed cake, a fruit-juice and water.
- All non-priority entrances at IST would be made at Entrance 1; the priority entrance, Entrance 5, is still open. Only passengers are allowed to enter the terminal, greeters with vehicles are asked to stay in their cars while waiting, the IST car park is still free of charge. Entrance 4 is closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.