Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
As 7 November 2020, The options if your travel is affected and the informations about refunds parts are moved to the new guide thread specific to the topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-be/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/

This thread would continue to provide information about potential border closures, major schedule changes, and any restrictions on TK flights in the future.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines.

CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS

TK and AnadoluJet have resumed domestic flights on 1 June 2020. Almost all domestic routes have been resumed with reduced frequencies.
TK and AnadoluJet have resumed international flights on 11 June 2020. Please consider the short-haul operations and long-haul operations threads for more details on operating routes.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks.

Currently there are no restrictions to enter Turkey or to transfer at Turkey. There is also no COVID test requirement for both entering Turkey and transit ( unless you are departing from Pakistan or your arrival country asks for one ) and no quarantine upon entering Turkey.

Some countries have not opened their airports for passenger flights from/to Turkey so Turkish Airlines is not operating to all of their destinations. More information could be found in the respective threads.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Nayef
BAH-IST and IST-BAH were supposed to return Feb. 1 but subsequently got canceled, and then they were supposed to be back March 1 but also got canceled. They were showing on FR24 but on TK's schedule. Now it says the flights will be back in March two days a week, but no schedule in sight. Can anyone find out when they might be back?
Looks like they are available from 28th March onwards. At least they can be booked from that date. Too late for me though.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:39 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
I tried to look through posts from the last few months but could not find an answer.

For testing requirement the language from the government says 72 hours from your "First embarkation point". TK website says 72 hours from the departure from the country of origin.

So so example if I am flying LAX-JFK-IST, would the test need to be within 72 hours of departure from LAX or from JFK?
Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by A4K
I tried to look through posts from the last few months but could not find an answer.

For testing requirement the language from the government says 72 hours from your "First embarkation point". TK website says 72 hours from the departure from the country of origin.

So so example if I am flying LAX-JFK-IST, would the test need to be within 72 hours of departure from LAX or from JFK?
Unfortunately the government guidelines are not clear and do not specifically answer the question you've asked.

My only advice would be to avoid extending the 72 hour rule on separate tickets. For example, if you are flying LAX-JFK & JFK-IST on separate tickets, do not risk to be denied boarding and perform your test within the 72 hours window before your JFK-IST flight.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: HH, IHG
I just booked MIA-IST-SEZ / MRU-IST-MIA a few days ago (travelling Aug 23rd - Sep 13th) using ANA. This is mainly to use up my Hilton Certs expiring on 8/31. Got an email today the IST-SEZ flight was cancelled and next one is 3 days later (8/25 --> 8/28). Looks like they reduced to twice a week for that route. Given Seychelles is opening up, this seems strange to me.

I called ANA and the options aren't great (MIA-IST-ADD-SEZ, with ADD-SEZ in Y). I have 7 Hilton certs expiring I'm trying to use so, landing in Sez on 8/28 isn't great either.

Any thoughts? Is there a chance TK adds back the IST-SEZ route? Is that something that happens a lot?
Old Mar 23, 2021, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by currid7
I just booked MIA-IST-SEZ / MRU-IST-MIA a few days ago (travelling Aug 23rd - Sep 13th) using ANA. This is mainly to use up my Hilton Certs expiring on 8/31. Got an email today the IST-SEZ flight was cancelled and next one is 3 days later (8/25 --> 8/28). Looks like they reduced to twice a week for that route. Given Seychelles is opening up, this seems strange to me.

I called ANA and the options aren't great (MIA-IST-ADD-SEZ, with ADD-SEZ in Y). I have 7 Hilton certs expiring I'm trying to use so, landing in Sez on 8/28 isn't great either.

Any thoughts? Is there a chance TK adds back the IST-SEZ route? Is that something that happens a lot?
First the Seychelles is opening only for vaccinated travelers, the vaccination rates in Europe is not that bright as the USA, plus Seychelles is not accepting the Sinovac vaccine ( which is the only available vaccine for Turkish citizens at the moment unless they are able to be vaccinated abroad ) so I wouldn't consider this as strange. In some European countries, regular adults that do not go into priority groups ( age or job related ones ) could not have the vaccine at this point and they need to wait.

TK might add additional frequencies to their SEZ route but that's not something we see in common ( TK removing and adding frequencies ) but if the evolution of the pandemic changes and if there is demand, TK might add additional frequencies.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:54 am

Guys, I used my Miles points to upgrade to Business Class for a flight cancelled. I called Turkish Airlines hotline, they told me I cannot get those points back. Actually I called on two different occasions. Same reply- that I cannot get my points back. Anyone actually tried getting their points back?

Another thing- I got a travel voucher good for the next 2 years. Am I still entitled for the unlimited flight change if I buy a ticket using the voucher?

THANKS!
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StarkyPepp
Guys, I used my Miles points to upgrade to Business Class for a flight cancelled. I called Turkish Airlines hotline, they told me I cannot get those points back. Actually I called on two different occasions. Same reply- that I cannot get my points back. Anyone actually tried getting their points back?

Another thing- I got a travel voucher good for the next 2 years. Am I still entitled for the unlimited flight change if I buy a ticket using the voucher?

THANKS!
If you have got the 115% valuable voucher, yes, you would still benefit from the zero change fee process.
For the upgrade part, if the hotline agents aren't able to process the refund of your upgrade, you would need to fill out a feedback form. By the way, if your miles were already expired, TK might do a goodwill gesture reinstating them but they might also deny your claim.
StarkyPepp likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:20 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
originally booked PRG IST MLE RT, the return flight from IST to PRG got cancelled, now Im facing 35 hours at IST instead of 1h 35min. (nothing shorter available) am I entitled for 2 nights hotel stay? or one night only? (economy)
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fridgy
originally booked PRG IST MLE RT, the return flight from IST to PRG got cancelled, now Im facing 35 hours at IST instead of 1h 35min. (nothing shorter available) am I entitled for 2 nights hotel stay? or one night only? (economy)
If no shorter possible option is available, TK would rebook you to an hotel for your entire duration of your stay; however, if there is a MLE-IST flight the next day that would connect to your currently booked IST-PRG flight on the same exact date you're currently booked, TK might refuse to provide you a hotel stating that there is a shorter connection.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If no shorter possible option is available, TK would rebook you to an hotel for your entire duration of your stay; however, if there is a MLE-IST flight the next day that would connect to your currently booked IST-PRG flight on the same exact date you're currently booked, TK might refuse to provide you a hotel stating that there is a shorter connection.
I ended up rebooking as following:
MLE IST - IST VIE - VIE PRG(Austrian) for free of charge
thank you for your help!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you have got the 115% valuable voucher, yes, you would still benefit from the zero change fee process.
For the upgrade part, if the hotline agents aren't able to process the refund of your upgrade, you would need to fill out a feedback form. By the way, if your miles were already expired, TK might do a goodwill gesture reinstating them but they might also deny your claim.
Ok thanks!!!
Helpful as always kind sir!
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StarkyPepp
Ok thanks!!!
Helpful as always kind sir!
You're welcome
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I ended up rebooking as following:
MLE IST - IST VIE - VIE PRG(Austrian) for free of charge
thank you for your help!
That is a very nice solution. How far out was the cancellation? I'm surprised that TK agreed to rebook you on Austrían if the cancellation was far out, but I guess sometimes even TK do exceptions.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
That is a very nice solution. How far out was the cancellation? I'm surprised that TK agreed to rebook you on Austrían if the cancellation was far out, but I guess sometimes even TK do exceptions.
it was 16 days and also there was no other connection in other 2 days, only via VIE. I was surprised as well. I expected at least some small fare difference fee haha
(I called TK USA number via skype)
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it was 16 days and also there was no other connection in other 2 days, only via VIE. I was surprised as well. I expected at least some small fare difference fee haha
(I called TK USA number via skype)
Most likely the agent made a fault calculating the 15 day limit.
Once, TK cancelled service to my destination ( went down from daily to x4 weekly ) due to MAX issues back in 2019 exactly 16 days before departure and both the hotline and a sales office refused me to rebook on another airline. I ended up rebooking to somewhere in the same region and purchasing a separate ticket to my destination as I needed to travel that specific day.

TK's initial solution for me was to take me there on Friday afternoon rather than Thursday morning.

However, I'll admit that whenever I had a cancellation < 15 days prior the flight, I had no issues being rebooked on another airline whenever there isn't any TK alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.