Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
As 7 November 2020, The options if your travel is affected and the informations about refunds parts are moved to the new guide thread specific to the topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-be/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/

This thread would continue to provide information about potential border closures, major schedule changes, and any restrictions on TK flights in the future.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines.

CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS

TK and AnadoluJet have resumed domestic flights on 1 June 2020. Almost all domestic routes have been resumed with reduced frequencies.
TK and AnadoluJet have resumed international flights on 11 June 2020. Please consider the short-haul operations and long-haul operations threads for more details on operating routes.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks.

Currently there are no restrictions to enter Turkey or to transfer at Turkey. There is also no COVID test requirement for both entering Turkey and transit ( unless you are departing from Pakistan or your arrival country asks for one ) and no quarantine upon entering Turkey.

Some countries have not opened their airports for passenger flights from/to Turkey so Turkish Airlines is not operating to all of their destinations. More information could be found in the respective threads.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:42 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
not that, but fwiw, my miles for an upgraded segment were refunded without fuss.
Yes I have an award ticket to cancel ad well but with TKs d'évaluation its a loss for me
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Yes I have an award ticket to cancel ad well but with TKs d'évaluation its a loss for me
Out of curiosity, which devaluation are you referring to?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite+, Qatar Platinum

„Europe Flights:
Our flights with Germany, France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Sweden, Austria and Holland as departure point are suspended April 17, 2020.
You can obtain the most up-to-date information regarding your flights from our flight status page using your flight number or route.“
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-d...irus-outbreak/

Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Out of curiosity, which devaluation are you referring to?
TK awards are now dynamic. It used to be 45k in business limited or 115k for business guaranteed to SE Asia. Now it's a whole range of different prices from 45 up to 135 k one way.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Bit confused here. We booked paid Business class tickets in Jan 2020 for our Istanbul and Africa trip leaving Sept 3 2020 from Toronto YYZ. If I cancel this trip do I get a flight credit or full Refund?? I booked this on TK website.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Ramz
Bit confused here. We booked paid Business class tickets in Jan 2020 for our Istanbul and Africa trip leaving Sept 3 2020 from Toronto YYZ. If I cancel this trip do I get a flight credit or full Refund?? I booked this on TK website.
Open-jaw ticket or free change. You could also decide to fly on that date.
No free cancellation unless one of the flights are canceled or the country that you're traveling has a special waiver.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Open-jaw ticket or free change. You could also decide to fly on that date.
No free cancellation unless one of the flights are canceled or the country that you're traveling has a special waiver.
But I am reading anyone who Bought tickets before March 2020 may cancel. So Unless TK cancels flights to Kenya or Flights to Canada I wont get a full refund???
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I don't see anything about TK offering a free refund. This is the policy for countries that flights are still being operated. You would be able to cancel your flight but you won't get a refund ( unless you decide to pay the cancellation fee ), you could turn it to an open-jaw ticket or you could change it to another date.

So yes, if your ticket is not fully flexible, unless TK invents some waiver to Canada and Kenya for your travel dates, no full refund.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-tr/zero-change-fee/

For tickets* purchased before March 31, 2020, for flights taking place up to December 31, 2020 (*excluding tickets for domestic flights within Turkey and to/from Ercan Airport) we are charging a Zero Change Fee. If you still do not know your exact date to fly, you can cancel the reservation and keep your ticket as an open ticket to use later. When you request a change for your ticketed flight, your first change will be applied free of charge. If your travel plans change, use your Zero Change Fee privilege and enjoy the flexible flight opportunity.

*The offer does not cover domestic flights within Turkey and flights to/from Ercan Airport.

Terms and Conditions

• Valid for tickets purchased on or before March 31, 2020.
  • Valid on flights operated by Turkish Airlines until December 31, 2020 (included).
  • Valid on flights where the new trip is completed until February 28, 2021 (included).
  • In order for the transaction to be processed with a Zero Change Fee or to change the ticket with an open one, cancellation of the reservations should take place until May 31, 2020. If the travel date on the ticket is earlier than May 31, 2020, cancellation of the tickets must be before the flight time of the trip.
  • Domestic flights in Turkey and flights to/from Ercan Airport are not included.
  • Fare differences that may be incurred due to the change request will be collected from our passengers.
  • Change requests can be made through the Turkish Airlines Sales Offices and agencies from which the ticket was purchased.
  • Reservation cancellations can be made through the call center, Turkish Airlines Sales Offices and agencies from which the ticket was purchased.
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:09 pm

I am a Swedish citizen but green card holder living in the US. Have not been to any of the banned countries the last year. Will I still be able to board my LAX-IST flight and enter Turkey? Don't want to risk getting denied when checking in as I am supposed to travel in a week to IST.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I don't see anything about TK offering a free refund. This is the policy for countries that flights are still being operated. You would be able to cancel your flight but you won't get a refund ( unless you decide to pay the cancellation fee ), you could turn it to an open-jaw ticket or you could change it to another date.

So yes, if your ticket is not fully flexible, unless TK invents some waiver to Canada and Kenya for your travel dates, no full refund.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-tr/ze

Thanks for that info.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:41 am

Still waiting this out, flying CDG-IST-KIX on 26 April....
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by B747forever
I am a Swedish citizen but green card holder living in the US. Have not been to any of the banned countries the last year. Will I still be able to board my LAX-IST flight and enter Turkey? Don't want to risk getting denied when checking in as I am supposed to travel in a week to IST.
Check Turkish's government advisory to make sure that they don't ban foreign nationals from coming into Turkey, as the situation is so changeable so you need to follow the news regularly.

You are always welcome here in Sweden!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Duplicate
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
So I am a UK passport holder with Singapore residency. I held a one way J redemption AMS-IST-SIN with departure from AMS around 8pm this evening.

On Saturday morning TK notified me they had cancelled all flights from AMS. Unable to get through on the phone I travelled out to the TK desk at Schipol and was re-booked LGW-IST-SIN.

At my own cost I bought a BA flight AMS-LGW and paid for the Hilton overnight at LGW. However at check in this morning at LGW I was denied boarding as I have been in AMS within the last 14 days.

I have asked the TK check in staff (actually Menzies) about re-booking on alternative airlines to SIN but I just get a shrug and told to call the customer helpline (which doesn't get answered and in any case is not a game I want to play, being on hold for hours on a roaming Singapore mobile..)

I have now booked a new ticket LHR-SIN this evening on SQ and hopefully it will be 3rd time lucky for actually being able to get home. However I am curious given the above scenario and in particular having already travelled from AMS to LGW at their behest, are TK liable for anything other than refunding my miles for the original ticket. Or am I just out of luck and left to try and pick the peices via my travel insurance. ..
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
As of 8:00 a.m. on 17 March 2020, flights to/from the UK, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Ireland and the United Arab Emirates will be suspended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.