Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Hide Wikipost
Old May 20, 20, 11:48 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Wiki Link
PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-b...irus-outbreak/
Also, see the "Options if your travel is affected" part of this WIKI for your travel options. The answers to most questions are there.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines. Customer service hotlines of all airlines are extremely jammed right now, please be patient. If your flight is not in less than 72 hours wait!

TK operate some rescue flights for Turkish citizens. Please check with the local embassy for further details.

Travel restrictions due to coronavirus (COVID-19)

TK and AnadoluJet have cancelled all domestic flights until 4 June 2020.
TK and AnadoluJet have cancelled all international flights until 10 June 2020.

When flights are 100% resuming and an initial schedule is published, a new thread related to destinations operating would be opened for your convenience.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks. The information here was last updated on 21 May 2020 13:45 GMT

Options if your travel is affected:

If your flights have been cancelled:

You have the option for a free rebooking, a travel voucher, Miles&Smiles miles or a full refund.

Free rebooking/open-jaw option: You have the option to rebook your flight until 31 December 2021 or convert your ticket to open-jaw and use it until 31 December 2021 without any penalties and fare differences. However, if you select this option you could only travel within the same region. Also, if you decide to convert your ticket to open-jaw, you would still ask to have a full refund until 2 months after the pandemic ends; however, this option is not available if you rebook your flight to another date.
Travel voucher: You have the travel option worth %115 what you have paid for the unused portion of your ticket. The voucher could be claimed via the call center and a sales office and only could be used at a sales office. The voucher could not be redeemed online or via the hotline. ( This option is back again )
Miles&Smiles miles: You have the option to get miles for cancelled flights which you could use until 31 December 2023. For every 10 euros of your unused portion of your ticket, you have the option of getting 1000 Miles&Smiles miles. The miles could be asked from a sales office or via the hotline when cancelling flights. If you ask for miles, you have no right to get a refund. Be aware that by taking this option, you will not earn status or bonus miles on any flight that has been paid for with the miles.
Full refund: You would also have the option of taking a full refund, however, according to the Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate decision, the refund would be made 2 months after the pandemic ends ( earliest 10 August 2020 )

If your flight has not been cancelled and there is a waiver active for your destination

If there is a waiver active for your destination, you have the same rights as a
cancelled passenger, however, the miles and voucher worth %115 of the ticket option is not available.

Free rebooking/open-jaw option: You have the option to rebook your flight until 31 December 2021 or convert your ticket to open-jaw and use it until 31 December 2021 without any penalties and fare differences. However, if you select this option you could only travel within the same region. Also, if you decide to convert your ticket to open-jaw, you would still ask to have a full refund until 2 months after the pandemic ends; however, this option is not available if you rebook your flight to another date.
Full refund: You would also have the option of taking a full refund, however, according to the Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate decision, the refund would be made 2 months after the pandemic ends ( earliest 10 August 2020 )

If your flight has not been cancelled and there is no waiver active for your destination

If there is no waiver to your destination and your flight operates, unfortunately, you are not entitled to a full refund, however, you still have the right for a free rebooking or an open jaw conversion. Refunds would be made according to the fare rules and it would be made 2 months after the pandemic situation ends.

Free rebooking/open-jaw option: You have the option to rebook your flight until 31 December 2021 or convert your ticket to open-jaw and use it until 31 December 2021 without any penalties and fare differences. However, if you select this option you could only travel within the same region. The fare difference would be waived only once, so before making a change think accordingly. If a rebooking is asked, this must be made before 31 December 2020 or before the first flight on the ticket.

Information about Refunds

TK is currently not offering refunds, and according to the statement of the Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate, they are exempt to issue refunds until 2 months later than the flight restrictions end. That's why the refund option would not work on the TK website.

However, some local regulations ( US DoT, EC261/2004 and many others ) apply in the case if your flight departs from an applicable country. You could file a complaint to the respective body in this case, if TK still refuses to refund within the given period of the local regulation.

Another alternative would be to initiate a chargeback from your credit card. However, a remark that this may not be allowed for some credit cards in some regions.

Image showing that the feedback form related to refunds does not work. This is not working on purpose and would open 2 months open after the flight restrictions end.

Print Wikipost

Old May 21, 20, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984 View Post
ISTFlyer are you sure about that? I had an award ticket cancelled yesterday and called the hotline to reschedule. First agent advised that the return flight on my new dates did not have I class availability (business award). He was able to change the flights to my new date: Outbound trip had I class, he booked the inbound trip into a revenue business booking class. However, he was unable to issue the ticket and sent a mail to the back office.
No response 24hrs later and the flights are now visible in the apps in the "pay and fly" section - the app is telling me I need to pay for the flights in the next 12 days
Just called the hotline again and was told that even if TK previously cancelled the flights, I can only reschedule to dates where award booking class is available.

Do you have any experience with this? Would a sales office be able to help here? Otherwise I already see myself sending countless Feedback Forms
Probably it's again the hotline agents who do not have the power to rebook you on a flight that there is no award inventory available. A sales office would be helpful in your case. Sending multiple feedback forms is also another option.

Originally Posted by freetgy View Post
I cancelled my ticket bought on February 2020 for me and my wife via the TK website on March 20th after the change policy was communicated by email on March 19th and got a cancellation confirmation on same day on the full amount. TK website said refund processing could take up 30days. Which has now passed obviously due to the Corona situation. I just waited it out for now, but no communication from TK side so far. I didn't call TK either as ticket cancellation had been processed by the system and I just wait for refund.

Due to pregnancy of my wife and I do not forsee to travel with TK until next year earliest and will wait for a refund. I think I have a good shot on a German credit card chargeback considering I have an official cancellation confirmation which has not been refunded now for 60 days. Anyone requested a credit card chargeback for TK due to this situation? I am going to require TK services in the future (family visits in turkey). Any downsides to this approach e. g. problems with TK?
Just to clarify, the refund process for flights after 5 February 2020 will be made 60 days after the flight restrictions end. Unfortunately, you would need to wait a bit more. ( Earliest 10 August 2020 ).

If this is an ex-EU flight EC261/2004 could help you, also see the post that SFOTraveler1984 shared above.
A chargeback could also work but unless your routes qualify for one of the foreign regulations ( US DoT, EC261, ... ) expect a denial for your chargeback.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In his case as they told him 30 days, I am assuming that he bought the ticket outside of Turkey and is protected by the consumer protection laws in his country that he should either wait, or if he wants the money now, do a chargeback with his bank and send them the confirmation e-mail from TK that he would be receiving a full refund, that will be the end of it he'll get his money and he will never hear about it again, other than perhaps a letter from his bank 60 days later informing him that the amount has been permanently refunded.
Old May 22, 20, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
ironmouse, what on Earth are you talking about? LH, AF, KL, UA, BA, EK and many other carriers are being attacked for how they have basically been doing everything that they can do to avoid giving any sort of refund in any way shape or form. TK has been very aboveboard and has been one of the most customer friendly, even with the 2 month thing. The issues that people are having here with OTA's can effect every single airline on Earth, as when you go with a travel agent, you "take your chances".......it has always been that way, granted for as long as anyone seems to remember saving that extra $20 or whatever was "worth it" now it is/was not. I should also note, as I have several times that whatever Turkish law that TK cites really only applies legally to either Turks, those who bought their tickets in Turkey or those who used Turkish credit cards. The "law" has no effect in reality on let's say UK citizens who bought tickets from the UK with a UK credit card, etc etc.
Well my gripe with TK is that my flight was cancelled on the 24th March and I made a refund request the following day. An email was sent saying that the funds (100% ) would be back on my card within 30 days.
After 40 days no refund had been made. Thanks to this forum and ISTflyer I now know that refunds wont begin to be processed until 60 days after they start flying again.
But I had to get that info from here. Nowhere is it posted on the TK website. No mention of this refund policy is available on the website. So I'm upset that TK are not being upfront about this or keeping us informed.
I also have a cancelled flight with TAP who are refusing to issue refunds, but at least they are upfront about this and quite clearly state on their site that only vouchers or changes are available.
Because that is a European carrier and my flight with them originated in Europe I have started an enquiry with my CC. But not holding out much hope.
Virgin refunded me within 30 days and BA also within 30 days.
Old May 22, 20, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by ironmouse View Post
Well my gripe with TK is that my flight was cancelled on the 24th March and I made a refund request the following day. An email was sent saying that the funds (100% ) would be back on my card within 30 days.
After 40 days no refund had been made. Thanks to this forum and ISTflyer I now know that refunds wont begin to be processed until 60 days after they start flying again.
But I had to get that info from here. Nowhere is it posted on the TK website. No mention of this refund policy is available on the website. So I'm upset that TK are not being upfront about this or keeping us informed.
It's not highlighted but the 60 day rule is written here in the TK website

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-t...est/index.html

According to the Civil Aviation Regulation regarding COVID-19, your refund can be made within 2 months after the flights return to normal. We kindly advise you to apply 2 months after the flights return to normal or review the other advantageous options offered and create your request now.
I also have a cancelled flight with TAP who are refusing to issue refunds, but at least they are upfront about this and quite clearly state on their site that only vouchers or changes are available.
Because that is a European carrier and my flight with them originated in Europe I have started an enquiry with my CC. But not holding out much hope.
Virgin refunded me within 30 days and BA also within 30 days.
TAP is not fulfilling their contract as they need to issue refunds. A friend of mine is also waiting for a refund from TAP, he just filled out a feedback form on their website but no answer was given within 20+ days. Probably he would start writing a DoT complaint ( the ticket includes a USA-Lisbon segment ) or an EC261/2004 claim.

I think that this is more an issue than TK holding refunds according to Turkish law. TAP is not following the European regulations.
Old May 22, 20, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the center of the main page is the following:

"The Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Get more detailed information regarding the suspended flights, travel restrictions and flexible ticket change rights with zero change fee for non-cancelled flights.
Last update May 20, 2020"

and then you click through and it gives you all the relevant options/information. So again, what are you talking about?

Last edited by hfly; May 22, 20 at 4:47 am Reason: fixing graphic
Old May 22, 20, 5:23 am

In the center of the main page is the following:

"The Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Get more detailed information regarding the suspended flights, travel restrictions and flexible ticket change rights with zero change fee for non-cancelled flights.
Last update May 20, 2020"

and then you click through and it gives you all the relevant options/information. So again, what are you talking about?
Well as I said, when I applied for a refund by clicking on the link, the flights to be refunded were confirmed, the amount to be refunded was confirmed, when I accepted the transaction I it clearly stated that the refund would be made within 30days. As it is TK are going to sit on my money for 6 months which in my book isn't right.

And yes TAP are not playing ball. As they are 50% owned by the Portuguese Govt they have the backing from them.
Old May 22, 20, 7:25 am

Well as I said, when I applied for a refund by clicking on the link, the flights to be refunded were confirmed, the amount to be refunded was confirmed, when I accepted the transaction I it clearly stated that the refund would be made within 30days. As it is TK are going to sit on my money for 6 months which in my book isn't right.

And yes TAP are not playing ball. As they are 50% owned by the Portuguese Govt they have the backing from them.
I don't want to create unnecessary speculation here, however, do you really think that providing no refund ( where they should do according to the law ) and stating this, is a better approach than mentioning the local law itself and applying it.

According to the EC261/2004, TAP has to refund passengers money within 7 days after the cancellation, they have no right to force people to get vouchers instead. While the Turkish SHGM ( Civil Aviation Directorate ) rules permit TK to hold refunds until 2 months after the pandemic ends. One is lawful, the other one is unlawful.

The only thing that I could tell you is that I respect your opinion, that's all.
Old May 22, 20, 7:44 am

Fair enough and point taken, and not wanting to labour the point any further I will sign off on this by repeating that at the time of cancelling and asking for a refund, the rule of refunding 2 months after flights resume was not pointed out during the process.
Old May 22, 20, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LTT Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Probably it's again the hotline agents who do not have the power to rebook you on a flight that there is no award inventory available. A sales office would be helpful in your case. Sending multiple feedback forms is also another option.

Just to clarify, the refund process for flights after 5 February 2020 will be made 60 days after the flight restrictions end. Unfortunately, you would need to wait a bit more. ( Earliest 10 August 2020 ).

If this is an ex-EU flight EC261/2004 could help you, also see the post that SFOTraveler1984 shared above.
A chargeback could also work but unless your routes qualify for one of the foreign regulations ( US DoT, EC261, ... ) expect a denial for your chargeback.
Is Feb 5 2020 date mentioned anywhere on the website? Does it mean if the ticket was issued before Feb 5 2020 they will issue a refund as normal?
Old May 22, 20, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Until the 19th of March TK was telling people either that it would take 45 days or "up to" 45 days to get their refund. They had been saying this for about a month up until that point, so I find it really strange that they would have said "30 days" at that point, whether the law had been made or not. As for whether you were informed or not of it, for all we know you asked for the refund 1 minute after midnight, and maybe the call center person that you spoke with was not briefed. You seem to have been a FT member for a decade, it was widely posted here almost instantly what the new rules and regs were when they came through, and by 5Pm at the latest that day it was in fact posted on their website, not to mention any other reasonable place.

That being said, whether its July 21st or September 21st or whenever TK has actually promised you that you will get your money back. TAP has made you no such promises and the majority of large European airlines are acting in illegal manners in forcing people to take vouchers or whatever and flat out refusing any sort of refunds. Yet it is TK that you will refuse to fly in the future??! That's nuts!

I am the first one to criticize TK when they do something wrong, and have been quite open in telling and speaking about how whatever Turkish law they site means little or nothing in many jurisdictions when being applied in a retroactive manner. That being said, TK has acted with far more honor towards their customers than 90% of the airlines out there. they were the first to offer several other "bonus" options as well as (delayed) refunds, that have been widely copied,and deserve full credit for their pro-customer stance in these times. So you aren't going to fly TK anymore, because your money is delayed? Fine, go fly TAP who probably will never ever give you back a cash refund?!?!?!
Old May 22, 20, 2:22 pm

I did a very normal online chancellation via manage bookings online. After confirmation of cancellation, it led to a summary page which mentioned the up to 30 days (could be that this is just standard text foe cancellation). This is not mentioned in the email confirmation.

Nevertheless, obviously the service cannot be rendered anymore (past flight date) and more than 60 days since cancellation has passed. Payment is long due.
​​​​
Old May 22, 20, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by asnovici View Post
Is Feb 5 2020 date mentioned anywhere on the website? Does it mean if the ticket was issued before Feb 5 2020 they will issue a refund as normal?
I don't know if it's mentioned on the TK website, however, it's clearly indicated at the proclamation which the Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate released.
Old May 23, 20, 12:20 am

Until the 19th of March TK was telling people either that it would take 45 days or "up to" 45 days to get their refund. They had been saying this for about a month up until that point, so I find it really strange that they would have said "30 days" at that point, whether the law had been made or not. As for whether you were informed or not of it, for all we know you asked for the refund 1 minute after midnight, and maybe the call center person that you spoke with was not briefed. You seem to have been a FT member for a decade, it was widely posted here almost instantly what the new rules and regs were when they came through, and by 5Pm at the latest that day it was in fact posted on their website, not to mention any other reasonable place.

That being said, whether its July 21st or September 21st or whenever TK has actually promised you that you will get your money back. TAP has made you no such promises and the majority of large European airlines are acting in illegal manners in forcing people to take vouchers or whatever and flat out refusing any sort of refunds. Yet it is TK that you will refuse to fly in the future??! That's nuts!

I am the first one to criticize TK when they do something wrong, and have been quite open in telling and speaking about how whatever Turkish law they site means little or nothing in many jurisdictions when being applied in a retroactive manner. That being said, TK has acted with far more honor towards their customers than 90% of the airlines out there. they were the first to offer several other "bonus" options as well as (delayed) refunds, that have been widely copied,and deserve full credit for their pro-customer stance in these times. So you aren't going to fly TK anymore, because your money is delayed? Fine, go fly TAP who probably will never ever give you back a cash refund?!?!?!
I wont be flying TAP either.
Old May 23, 20, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nor seemingly will you be flying BA, LH, AF, KL, EK, etc etc. So I guess you just won't be flying?
Old May 23, 20, 12:28 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by asnovici View Post
It is not about the ticket issue date - it is for flight dates after 5 Feb.
asnovici and ISTFlyer like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: