Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
As 7 November 2020, The options if your travel is affected and the informations about refunds parts are moved to the new guide thread specific to the topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-be/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/

This thread would continue to provide information about potential border closures, major schedule changes, and any restrictions on TK flights in the future.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines.

CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS

TK and AnadoluJet have resumed domestic flights on 1 June 2020. Almost all domestic routes have been resumed with reduced frequencies.
TK and AnadoluJet have resumed international flights on 11 June 2020. Please consider the short-haul operations and long-haul operations threads for more details on operating routes.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks.

Currently there are no restrictions to enter Turkey or to transfer at Turkey. There is also no COVID test requirement for both entering Turkey and transit ( unless you are departing from Pakistan or your arrival country asks for one ) and no quarantine upon entering Turkey.

Some countries have not opened their airports for passenger flights from/to Turkey so Turkish Airlines is not operating to all of their destinations. More information could be found in the respective threads.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by raji
ISTFlyer today i was informed that our flight DEL-ASR cancelled , & to call customer care. On calling customer care i was given three options- Open Ticket ( till 31 dec 2021), Refund , reschedule flight. I may be interested in Trip to Turkey next summer ( If Corona Permit) , Please advise which is better option - Refund or Open Ticket. Many Thanks.
For an award ticket, if you decide to reschedule your flight, there wouldn't be an award availability requirement for your new travel dates. However, you could only rebook for a window of 355 days so this would not be an option if you would like to travel in Summer 2021.

Open ticket is literally the same thing, however, you do not need to decide the date at the moment. However, if you decide to travel on a date without award availability next summer, you might need to fill out multiple feedback forms or contact a sales office. We still don't know how this would work.

The refund option would be the best for your case unless you've used expiring ( either expired on 31Dec19 or expiring on 31Dec20 ) miles for your travel, you would get the taxes back on your credit card without a fee and you would have your miles redeposited. Most importantly you wouldn't be limited to buy a ticket from Central Asia to Turkey when using your miles. However, the risk of this option would be that they might devalue the miles and increase the miles needed to purchase an award ticket.

It's all up to you, if you certainly would like to travel to Turkey next summer choose to convert to an open ticket, if not ask for a refund.
Also, once you've accepted to convert to an open ticket and changed your mind, you would need to pay the $25 cancellation fee if you decide to get your money back in the later period.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
TK would resume giving refunds 2 months after the flight restrictions end related to the pandemic.
Currently, TK has not started resuming their flights. ( 10-15 posts above, I've reported the new date ).
Assuming that you are traveling on an international flight, the earliest refund date would be 10 August 2020.

Also, be aware that, the Turkish government allowed travel agencies +14 days to refund the money to their passengers ( as first they need to get the money back from the airline ) so if you bought from a TA or OTA, they have the right to hold your refund until 24 August 2020.

I have to say that in the future I will do my best to avoid flying with TK.
Exceptional times or not this has been no way to treat their customers, most of the info I've gleaned for the refund procedure has come from this forum. On current projections from ISTFlyer it's looking like I wont be seeing a refund before 6 months.

Maybe I will be an exception and most folks will be happy to continue giving TK their business but not me.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ironmouse
I have to say that in the future I will do my best to avoid flying with TK.
Exceptional times or not this has been no way to treat their customers, most of the info I've gleaned for the refund procedure has come from this forum. On current projections from ISTFlyer it's looking like I wont be seeing a refund before 6 months.

Maybe I will be an exception and most folks will be happy to continue giving TK their business but not me.
Luckily, I did only have one international flight reservation with TK in March and I also felt lucky that I chose foreigner carriers as they did a great job refunding money back. As I knew I would fly TK at some point, I've opted for a future travel voucher rather than a refund. For cancelled domestic flights as I know that I would fly somewhere in Turkey ( multiple times ) within the next year, I just converted them to an open-ticket as they are not collecting any fare difference when rebooking cancelled flights.

However, like you, I would not purchase any TK tickets ( especially long-haul ) in advance ( despite my Elite Plus vouchers expiring soon ). Qatar Airways made their plan for the entire summer season, I know when and where they would fly until October ( minor changes are still possible ) so most likely my next two international trips would be on Qatar Airways. Plus, they still serve meals, the lounges in Doha are still open, they allow cabin bags onboard, and they are significantly cheaper these days.

By the way, Turkish businesses need the money from foreigners ( especially from tourists ) so I look forward for TK to resume ( some ) international flights until 1 July latest.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
For an award ticket, if you decide to reschedule your flight, there wouldn't be an award availability requirement for your new travel dates. However, you could only rebook for a window of 355 days so this would not be an option if you would like to travel in Summer 2021.

Open ticket is literally the same thing, however, you do not need to decide the date at the moment. However, if you decide to travel on a date without award availability next summer, you might need to fill out multiple feedback forms or contact a sales office. We still don't know how this would work.

The refund option would be the best for your case unless you've used expiring ( either expired on 31Dec19 or expiring on 31Dec20 ) miles for your travel, you would get the taxes back on your credit card without a fee and you would have your miles redeposited. Most importantly you wouldn't be limited to buy a ticket from Central Asia to Turkey when using your miles. However, the risk of this option would be that they might devalue the miles and increase the miles needed to purchase an award ticket.

It's all up to you, if you certainly would like to travel to Turkey next summer choose to convert to an open ticket, if not ask for a refund.
Also, once you've accepted to convert to an open ticket and changed your mind, you would need to pay the $25 cancellation fee if you decide to get your money back in the later period.
Thank you ISTFlyer . I feel best option is to go for refund.

Last edited by raji; May 21, 2020 at 9:42 am
Old May 21, 2020, 9:31 am

Hello guys! Do you think it is smart to buy my tickets Philippines to Prague, Moscow to Philippines(both with IST layovers) for January-February? Kinda cheap. $470 and with my points, can upgrade them to Business Class.

Maybe prices will go up later in the year.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StarkyPepp
Hello guys! Do you think it is smart to buy my tickets Philippines to Prague, Moscow to Philippines(both with IST layovers) for January-February? Kinda cheap. $470 and with my points, can upgrade them to Business Class.

Maybe prices will go up later in the year.
With that price, it makes sense for next year.
Worst case scenario, you would have a $470 voucher that you could use on any TK ticket.
StarkyPepp likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:51 am

With that price, it makes sense for next year.
Worst case scenario, you would have a $470 voucher that you could use on any TK ticket.
Yeah I guess. It is just a certain combination of dates that has those prices. Move a day, and it would go up to at least $700+. I will go buy it I guess.

THANKS!
Old May 21, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
However, like you, I would not purchase any TK tickets ( especially long-haul ) in advance ( despite my Elite Plus vouchers expiring soon ).
If, by some miracle, I manage to fly out of SIN on TK in June, would you be interested in exchanging those expiring vouchers for United PlusPoints? I'm not sure if you can upgrade 3rd parties using Elite Plus vouchers, but if you can, and you have use for UA PP... give me a shout!
Old May 21, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hdogan
If, by some miracle, I manage to fly out of SIN on TK in June, would you be interested in exchanging those expiring vouchers for United PlusPoints? I'm not sure if you can upgrade 3rd parties using Elite Plus vouchers, but if you can, and you have use for UA PP... give me a shout!
Elite Plus vouchers are only for the members' own use.
However, thanks for your offer.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ironmouse, what on Earth are you talking about? LH, AF, KL, UA, BA, EK and many other carriers are being attacked for how they have basically been doing everything that they can do to avoid giving any sort of refund in any way shape or form. TK has been very aboveboard and has been one of the most customer friendly, even with the 2 month thing. The issues that people are having here with OTA's can effect every single airline on Earth, as when you go with a travel agent, you "take your chances".......it has always been that way, granted for as long as anyone seems to remember saving that extra $20 or whatever was "worth it" now it is/was not. I should also note, as I have several times that whatever Turkish law that TK cites really only applies legally to either Turks, those who bought their tickets in Turkey or those who used Turkish credit cards. The "law" has no effect in reality on let's say UK citizens who bought tickets from the UK with a UK credit card, etc etc.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
ISTFlyer are you sure about that? I had an award ticket cancelled yesterday and called the hotline to reschedule. First agent advised that the return flight on my new dates did not have I class availability (business award). He was able to change the flights to my new date: Outbound trip had I class, he booked the inbound trip into a revenue business booking class. However, he was unable to issue the ticket and sent a mail to the back office.
No response 24hrs later and the flights are now visible in the apps in the "pay and fly" section - the app is telling me I need to pay for the flights in the next 12 days
Just called the hotline again and was told that even if TK previously cancelled the flights, I can only reschedule to dates where award booking class is available.

Do you have any experience with this? Would a sales office be able to help here? Otherwise I already see myself sending countless Feedback Forms
Old May 21, 2020, 2:19 pm

I cancelled my ticket bought on February 2020 for me and my wife via the TK website on March 20th after the change policy was communicated by email on March 19th and got a cancellation confirmation on same day on the full amount. TK website said refund processing could take up 30days. Which has now passed obviously due to the Corona situation. I just waited it out for now, but no communication from TK side so far. I didn't call TK either as ticket cancellation had been processed by the system and I just wait for refund.

Due to pregnancy of my wife and I do not forsee to travel with TK until next year earliest and will wait for a refund. I think I have a good shot on a German credit card chargeback considering I have an official cancellation confirmation which has not been refunded now for 60 days. Anyone requested a credit card chargeback for TK due to this situation? I am going to require TK services in the future (family visits in turkey). Any downsides to this approach e. g. problems with TK?
Old May 21, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by freetgy
Due to pregnancy of my wife and I do not forsee to travel with TK until next year earliest and will wait for a refund. I think I have a good shot on a German credit card chargeback considering I have an official cancellation confirmation which has not been refunded now for 60 days. Anyone requested a credit card chargeback for TK due to this situation? I am going to require TK services in the future (family visits in turkey). Any downsides to this approach e. g. problems with TK?
You might want to check out this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32338765-post320.html
Old May 21, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
ISTFlyer are you sure about that? I had an award ticket cancelled yesterday and called the hotline to reschedule. First agent advised that the return flight on my new dates did not have I class availability (business award). He was able to change the flights to my new date: Outbound trip had I class, he booked the inbound trip into a revenue business booking class. However, he was unable to issue the ticket and sent a mail to the back office.
No response 24hrs later and the flights are now visible in the apps in the "pay and fly" section - the app is telling me I need to pay for the flights in the next 12 days
Just called the hotline again and was told that even if TK previously cancelled the flights, I can only reschedule to dates where award booking class is available.

Do you have any experience with this? Would a sales office be able to help here? Otherwise I already see myself sending countless Feedback Forms
Probably it's again the hotline agents who do not have the power to rebook you on a flight that there is no award inventory available. A sales office would be helpful in your case. Sending multiple feedback forms is also another option.

Originally Posted by freetgy
I cancelled my ticket bought on February 2020 for me and my wife via the TK website on March 20th after the change policy was communicated by email on March 19th and got a cancellation confirmation on same day on the full amount. TK website said refund processing could take up 30days. Which has now passed obviously due to the Corona situation. I just waited it out for now, but no communication from TK side so far. I didn't call TK either as ticket cancellation had been processed by the system and I just wait for refund.

Just to clarify, the refund process for flights after 5 February 2020 will be made 60 days after the flight restrictions end. Unfortunately, you would need to wait a bit more. ( Earliest 10 August 2020 ).

If this is an ex-EU flight EC261/2004 could help you, also see the post that SFOTraveler1984 shared above.
A chargeback could also work but unless your routes qualify for one of the foreign regulations ( US DoT, EC261, ... ) expect a denial for your chargeback.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In his case as they told him 30 days, I am assuming that he bought the ticket outside of Turkey and is protected by the consumer protection laws in his country that he should either wait, or if he wants the money now, do a chargeback with his bank and send them the confirmation e-mail from TK that he would be receiving a full refund, that will be the end of it he'll get his money and he will never hear about it again, other than perhaps a letter from his bank 60 days later informing him that the amount has been permanently refunded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.