Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
As 7 November 2020, The options if your travel is affected and the informations about refunds parts are moved to the new guide thread specific to the topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-be/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/

This thread would continue to provide information about potential border closures, major schedule changes, and any restrictions on TK flights in the future.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines.

CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS

TK and AnadoluJet have resumed domestic flights on 1 June 2020. Almost all domestic routes have been resumed with reduced frequencies.
TK and AnadoluJet have resumed international flights on 11 June 2020. Please consider the short-haul operations and long-haul operations threads for more details on operating routes.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks.

Currently there are no restrictions to enter Turkey or to transfer at Turkey. There is also no COVID test requirement for both entering Turkey and transit ( unless you are departing from Pakistan or your arrival country asks for one ) and no quarantine upon entering Turkey.

Some countries have not opened their airports for passenger flights from/to Turkey so Turkish Airlines is not operating to all of their destinations. More information could be found in the respective threads.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: SK*G, OW S
I am currently in Madrid (and planning to spend here the next 10 days), however I have an upcoming trip to Japan and later on to HK on TK but departing from CPH. Today HK has said that they’ll quarantine anyone that has been in Madrid for the last 14 days (which checking my calendar would be the case for me). With that, it wouldn’t simply make sense making this trip anymore for me. Would it be possible in this case to get a refund from TK?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:28 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Peter1012
I am currently in Madrid (and planning to spend here the next 10 days), however I have an upcoming trip to Japan and later on to HK on TK but departing from CPH. Today HK has said that they’ll quarantine anyone that has been in Madrid for the last 14 days (which checking my calendar would be the case for me). With that, it wouldn’t simply make sense making this trip anymore for me. Would it be possible in this case to get a refund from TK?
You should be able to get a refund

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...irus-outbreak/
Peter1012 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
You are flying TK to NRT from CPH, and TK hasn't cancelled flights to Japan, unless you are flying with them from HKG and back then you might have a chance of getting a refund. However you should be able to change your flight to a later day under this policy:

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/zero-change-fee/
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
You are flying TK to NRT from CPH, and TK hasn't cancelled flights to Japan, unless you are flying with them from HKG and back then you might have a chance of getting a refund. However you should be able to change your flight to a later day under this policy:

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/zero-change-fee/
The zero change fee only applies to
  • For tickets purchased on and before 5th of March 2020, valid only if the change request is done before 16th of March 2020
So be quick to change your flights if you want

Source: The link that nacho provided
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The zero change fee only applies to

So be quick to change your flights if you want

Source: The link that nacho provided
I’ll have a look at it. However the problem is that HK won’t let me in once I arrive from Japan as my passport is both, Spanish and issued in Madrid and I am in fact living in Madrid now as per the latest policy is either quarentining for 15 days or denying entrance to anyone that has been in Madrid in the last 15 days (as would be my case)
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ll have a look at it. However the problem is that HK won’t let me in once I arrive from Japan as my passport is both, Spanish and issued in Madrid and I am in fact living in Madrid now as per the latest policy is either quarentining for 15 days or denying entrance to anyone that has been in Madrid in the last 15 days (as would be my case)
Not sure if HK will impose self-quarantine for pax coming from Japan in the next weeks, Japan has suspended visa free travel for HK people.

TK doesn't care where you are going next, what they can see is that you booked a flight with them from CPH to NRT, maybe you have a chance if you are flying with them HKG-CPH. In fact I don't even know if the Danish government is going to impose any quarantine measures, check their news conference at 20:30.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:58 pm

Not sure if HK will impose self-quarantine for pax coming from Japan in the next weeks, Japan has suspended visa free travel for HK people.

TK doesn't care where you are going next, what they can see is that you booked a flight with them from CPH to NRT, maybe you have a chance if you are flying with them HKG-CPH. In fact I don't even know if the Danish government is going to impose any quarantine measures, check their news conference at 20:30.
That’s the case, I’m in an open-jaw trip and I am flying back HKG-IST-CPH. I’ll have a look at the news conference at 20:30!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s the case, I’m in an open-jaw trip and I am flying back HKG-IST-CPH. I’ll have a look at the news conference at 20:30!
Try to ask TK if you can get a refund since you are flying with them from HKG.
Peter1012 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Anyone able to successfully cancel a non refundable ticket due to a 5-10min schedule change?
I’m in a similar boat, may axe my mid-April flights if the situation continue in this vein.

Both had minor schedule changes, iirc TK refund even non-refundable tickets in these cases.
AirCanada881 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Try to ask TK if you can get a refund since you are flying with them from HKG.
Yes, nacho is correct. You should look at the flights to Hong Kong section at the coronavirus page of TK as your ticket involves HKG.

Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Anyone able to successfully cancel a non refundable ticket due to a 5-10min schedule change?
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
I’m in a similar boat, may axe my mid-April flights if the situation continue in this vein.

Both had minor schedule changes, iirc TK refund even non-refundable tickets in these cases.
I've got a straight no from both a sales office agent and a call center agent when I tried to change an affected segment by 5-10 minutes. They have stated that the change must be minimum 15 minutes. At least due to the new waiver policy, I am able to change that flight for free.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
From Wiki...
  • For tickets purchased on and before 5th of March 2020, valid only if the change request is done before 16th of March 2020
  • Valid for tickets to be reserved and purchased between March 6 and March 24, 2020.
What does this mean ? Very confusing. I have a ticket purchased in February for travel end of March to DXB from BOS. Need
to change the ticket to Nov. Is that possible before March 16 for Free ?

Please advise....
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyalways
From Wiki...
  • Valid for tickets to be reserved and purchased between March 6 and March 24, 2020.
What does this mean ? Very confusing. I have a ticket purchased in February for travel end of March to DXB from BOS. Need
to change the ticket to Nov. Is that possible before March 16 for Free ?

Please advise....
Yes, you can change it for free before March 16.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: TK Elite
So no refund possible. I upgraded a ticket using elite plus vouchers. I assume the free change doesn't guarantee I can use my vouchers again?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Yes, you can change it for free before March 16.
Thanks. What does this line "Valid for tickets to be reserved and purchased between March 6 and March 24, 2020."
mean ???
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyalways
Thanks. What does this line "Valid for tickets to be reserved and purchased between March 6 and March 24, 2020."
mean ???
For tickets bought between March 6-24, you don't need to cancel it by March 16 = no deadline.

I called TK a couple of hours ago and they told me to wait because TK is going to make an announcement regarding the flights to and from the US later today. I have a TATL flight with TK from the EU on April 1 so I'm affected too.
gr8pirate likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.