Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
As 7 November 2020, The options if your travel is affected and the informations about refunds parts are moved to the new guide thread specific to the topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-be/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/

This thread would continue to provide information about potential border closures, major schedule changes, and any restrictions on TK flights in the future.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines.

CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS

TK and AnadoluJet have resumed domestic flights on 1 June 2020. Almost all domestic routes have been resumed with reduced frequencies.
TK and AnadoluJet have resumed international flights on 11 June 2020. Please consider the short-haul operations and long-haul operations threads for more details on operating routes.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks.

Currently there are no restrictions to enter Turkey or to transfer at Turkey. There is also no COVID test requirement for both entering Turkey and transit ( unless you are departing from Pakistan or your arrival country asks for one ) and no quarantine upon entering Turkey.

Some countries have not opened their airports for passenger flights from/to Turkey so Turkish Airlines is not operating to all of their destinations. More information could be found in the respective threads.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by poromenos
Any new from the press conference on international travel and when is expected to reopen even for transit?
No confirmed date available yet.
poromenos likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
No confirmed date available yet.
Canada and USA border closed for another 30 days as of today May 19th. So I can't see how International flights are to come in.
Old May 19, 2020, 7:01 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ramz
Canada and USA border closed for another 30 days as of today May 19th. So I can't see how International flights are to come in.

There's more to the world than Canada and USA...
Old May 19, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hdogan
Plus there are no restrictions vice-versa for flights from the USA and Turkey.
It's just Turkey who does not accept all international arriving passengers, and TK not willing to fly because of their own corporate decision.
Also, the USA hasn't implemented any quarantine or self-isolation requirements for passengers arriving from Turkey.

Canada is different, Turkey and Canada have closed their borders vice-versa. Turkish citizens are not allowed to enter Canada. Canadian citizens are not allowed to enter Turkey. Obviously, some minor exceptions apply but this is not the case here.

By the way, in the first term, we would see more short-haul routes rather than long-haul ones. If restrictions would be lifted with several EU countries, the Gasterbeiter routes ( Germany, The Netherlands, Austria, etc... ) and routes that transfer passengers are common would be the priority.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Gasterbaiter routes in actuality have almost never stopped, there have been "special" and "evacuation" flights seemingly almost every single day from at least two of them since the start of the crisis..............

As for saying TK does not fly due to its own "corporate decision", I would think TK's and the governments decision is a more accurate description (I am not saying it is a wrong decision, just that its mostly a government decision).
Old May 20, 2020, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly
The Gasterbaiter routes in actuality have almost never stopped, there have been "special" and "evacuation" flights seemingly almost every single day from at least two of them since the start of the crisis..............
Indeed, add 2-3 daily SunExpress flights to/from Antalya and İzmir which are not advertised at all.

Originally Posted by hfly
As for saying TK does not fly due to its own "corporate decision", I would think TK's and the governments decision is a more accurate description (I am not saying it is a wrong decision, just that its mostly a government decision).
Yes, it might be a government decision on the Turkish side. However, it’s significant that the USA has no impact on this.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by hdogan

You are right Hdogan, I used Canada along with the US as flights to YYZ is supposed to start to fly here to Toronto in June. So if Canada Border is closed to the USA till June 21st I don't see how IST can fly here till the End of JUNE.
Old May 20, 2020, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are right Hdogan, I used Canada along with the US as flights to YYZ is supposed to start to fly here to Toronto in June. So if Canada Border is closed to the USA till June 21st I don't see how IST can fly here till the End of JUNE.
Probably Toronto would be removed from the June schedule. However, we are still waiting for a schedule from TK.

By the way, Pegasus has cancelled all flights until 3 June 2019 23:59 GMT +3. As usual, TK would follow them but not immediately, instead far closer to the travel date.
Ramz likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 8:09 am

Probably Toronto would be removed from the June schedule. However, we are still waiting for a schedule from TK.

By the way, Pegasus has cancelled all flights until 3 June 2019 23:59 GMT +3. As usual, TK would follow them but not immediately, instead far closer to the travel date.

June 3 2020 not 2019 ISTFlyer...lol
Old May 20, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

June 3 2020 not 2019 ISTFlyer...lol
My bad
Old May 20, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UPDATE as 20 May 2020 17:15 GMT

Turkish Airlines has cancelled all domestic flights until 4 June 2020 and all international flights until 10 June 2020.

Source: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-t...hts/index.html

Suspended flights due to coronavirus

Last update: May 20, 2020

Dear passengers,

In accordance with decisions taken by the official authorities;
  • domestic flights have been suspended until June 04, 2020
  • international flights have been suspended until June 10, 2020
in order to protect public health against the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Best Regards,
Old May 20, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
UPDATE as 20 May 2020 17:15 GMT

Turkish Airlines has cancelled all domestic flights until 4 June 2020 and all international flights until 10 June 2020.

Source: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-t...hts/index.html
there goes my flight to Izmir 😥
Old May 20, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
If we are booked on Turkish using United miles and our flight has been cancelled, do we go ahead and call United and request that they redeposit the miles and refund the taxes, or do we have the option of creating a request to change to an "open ticket?" I know about this option from bloggers. When I try to log on to Turkish I get an error message currently. Thank you.
Old May 20, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janehoya
If we are booked on Turkish using United miles and our flight has been cancelled, do we go ahead and call United and request that they redeposit the miles and refund the taxes, or do we have the option of creating a request to change to an "open ticket?" I know about this option from bloggers. When I try to log on to Turkish I get an error message currently. Thank you.
As United issued the ticket, you need to contact them. Their policy would apply.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UPDATE as 21 May 01:20 GMT

For all domestic flights and for all international flights departing from Turkey, a code from the "Hayat Eve Sığar mobile application" ( application produced by the Turkish Ministry of Health ) would be required. Turkish citizens and permanent residents are allowed to get a single-use code from the app and present it at check-in and at the boarding gate.

For flights to Turkey, this would not be required.

For non-Turkish citizens and transfer passengers, the process is still unclear. Further details are likely to be announced later.

Tweet from TK CEO about this

Also as Mr. İlker Aycı ( TK Chairman of Board announced ), 12-14 domestic routes would initially begin on 4 June.

Ankara, Izmir, Trabzon, Antalya, Dalaman, Bodrum was the destinations that he mentioned in the interview.

There wasn't any mention of the international routes that would resume on 10 June.

He mentioned that no cabin baggage would be allowed onboard, he told that only one piece of personal item that could fit under the seat would be accepted. All passengers would have an +8kg extra checked baggage allowance.

He didn't answer a question that was related to onboard service. ( Multiple questions were asked at the same time, probably he skipped it unintentionally )

There was a question related to USA flights, he did mention that New York would not be resumed at the first point, he mentioned that they look at the conditions to resume LAX, SFO, MIA, and ORD.

TRNC flights are also planned to resume in June but he mentioned that there is no date given.

Turkish journalist Cüneyt Özdemir had an interview with him and here is the video. His part starts at the 48th minute in the video and it takes about 25 minutes. The datamarks above were taken from this interview. ( Video only in Turkish )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.