Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
As 7 November 2020, The options if your travel is affected and the informations about refunds parts are moved to the new guide thread specific to the topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-be/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/

This thread would continue to provide information about potential border closures, major schedule changes, and any restrictions on TK flights in the future.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines.

CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS

TK and AnadoluJet have resumed domestic flights on 1 June 2020. Almost all domestic routes have been resumed with reduced frequencies.
TK and AnadoluJet have resumed international flights on 11 June 2020. Please consider the short-haul operations and long-haul operations threads for more details on operating routes.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks.

Currently there are no restrictions to enter Turkey or to transfer at Turkey. There is also no COVID test requirement for both entering Turkey and transit ( unless you are departing from Pakistan or your arrival country asks for one ) and no quarantine upon entering Turkey.

Some countries have not opened their airports for passenger flights from/to Turkey so Turkish Airlines is not operating to all of their destinations. More information could be found in the respective threads.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by DaveS
I just had a 'Schedule Change' message which looks to have cancelled the IST-TAS segments of flights on the 24th May. Nothing for the other segments. So I guess Uzbek government have extended their lockdown to the end of next month.
And the other segments on the 24th have cancelled now. So could be all TK flights gone to the end of the month.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Just got email about schedule change for my flights on 22nd May CGK-PRG. New schedule field is left empty, thus sounds like a cancelation.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Originally Posted by BobFF68
Just got email about schedule change for my flights on 22nd May CGK-PRG. New schedule field is left empty, thus sounds like a cancelation.
Yes it is almost certainly a cancellation, Indonesia cancelled all flights (domestic and international) from 24th of April until 1st of June.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Did the agent give you a case number or did you receive a text message about your case number?
If so, you could track the situation related to your case on TK.com
No, the agent didn't give me any case number.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
UPDATE:

All TK and AnadoluJet flights regardless of domestic or international are canceled until 28 May 2020

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-t...hts/index.html
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
UPDATE:

All TK and AnadoluJet flights regardless of domestic or international are canceled until 28 May 2020

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-t...hts/index.html
I'm not trying to take any credit for noticing this move by the Turkish (country, not TK) officials earlier, but this is what I expected. I can now choose which of the options to take for my end-of-May flights.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Alfredbali
No, the agent didn't give me any case number.
This seems interesting; if you do not receive an answer back within a week, call them again.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:20 pm

Your only option would be to convert it to an open ticket or wait until the cancellation. FYI, if you decide to convert it to an open ticket, you could use your IST-NAV ticket on any domestic route.

If there is an update on the schedules, I would post it here at this thread. An update is pretty likely to come until Wednesday.
Finally my IST-NAV RT got cancelled.
But there's a problem to apply for a cash refund. I can't seem to select the "create a standard refund" option.
I have tried FB. But they can't help. Called SIN TK, but office is closed.
Any idea what to do?
According to initial TK email, I supposed to avoid no-show and have my ticket open dated. But if flight is cancelled ticket status should be auto open dated no?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Just a quick data point on my refund. I had a J redemption on TK metal for May. Today I received an email saying there was a schedule change and to contact the call centre. The phone system wouldn't recognise my TK FF number or my ticket number and I was going around in circles until, about to give up, I pressed some numbers at random and immediately got put through to a very professional agent.

Because my flight was cancelled by TK there was no charge. The points would be refunded immediately and the taxes etc after at least 60 days. (I interpreted this as 60 days after flights reopen.)

A few hours later I checked my mileage statement and there is a blank entry with today's date on it but no miles (the original award debit is still there). Hopefully that will sort itself out overnight. Does anyone have experience with this step?

Now - just one more flight in early June waiting for TK to cancel.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by BobFF68
Emailed TK Jakarta office last night ([email protected]) requesting to convert to open tickets and they already replied me to confirm the process already settled before 10 am this morning:

Dear Mr. Bob
Good Morning ..
As your request, All tickets status has been changed to Open Ticket :
Please contact us before 30th September 2020 and Traveling date until 28th February 2021.

So far they have been very efficient.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:50 am

I received email & SMS that my flight MED-IST planned on 21 MAY is rescheduled (probably cancelled because there is no alternative date). my original ticket is return flight MED-IST-ORN between 21MAY and 19 JUNE. I can't reach the call center or the local office because the curfew. Actually I don't know which refund option should I select: voucher, miles or anything else knowing that I will probably reschedule my flight this year once the situation will be solved. could you please advice?
Stay safe please
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by terbangalways
Finally my IST-NAV RT got cancelled.
But there's a problem to apply for a cash refund. I can't seem to select the "create a standard refund" option.
I have tried FB. But they can't help. Called SIN TK, but office is closed.
Any idea what to do?
According to initial TK email, I supposed to avoid no-show and have my ticket open dated. But if flight is cancelled ticket status should be auto open dated no?
Call the global hotline and ask for a refund request. They would be able to process your refund request but still you may need to wait 2 months after the flight restrictions end for your refund.

Originally Posted by sydunipete
Just a quick data point on my refund. I had a J redemption on TK metal for May. Today I received an email saying there was a schedule change and to contact the call centre. The phone system wouldn't recognise my TK FF number or my ticket number and I was going around in circles until, about to give up, I pressed some numbers at random and immediately got put through to a very professional agent.

Because my flight was cancelled by TK there was no charge. The points would be refunded immediately and the taxes etc after at least 60 days. (I interpreted this as 60 days after flights reopen.)

A few hours later I checked my mileage statement and there is a blank entry with today's date on it but no miles (the original award debit is still there). Hopefully that will sort itself out overnight. Does anyone have experience with this step?

Now - just one more flight in early June waiting for TK to cancel.
Generally, miles for cancelled award tickets appear on the statement within 24-48 hours or maybe less.

Originally Posted by faycal
I received email & SMS that my flight MED-IST planned on 21 MAY is rescheduled (probably cancelled because there is no alternative date). my original ticket is return flight MED-IST-ORN between 21MAY and 19 JUNE. I can't reach the call center or the local office because the curfew. Actually I don't know which refund option should I select: voucher, miles or anything else knowing that I will probably reschedule my flight this year once the situation will be solved. could you please advice?
Stay safe please
Hi faycal and welcome to FlyerTalk

If you want to go to Oran, later during the year, an open ticket would be the best idea. According to Turkish Civil Aviation Directorate regulations, Turkish Airlines is obliged to change the dates for free and they are not allowed to collect any extra fare difference if there is availability in the same cabin.

If you are unable to reach the hotline or your local sales office ( which may be closed ), fill out a Coronavirus related feedback form on the Turkish Airlines website or call the Turkish ( global ) number.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:03 am

This seems interesting; if you do not receive an answer back within a week, call them again.
Hi, I called TK again, got an agent pretty quickly, agent said my refund in miles is in the system and sent me an EMD copy by email, dated 23rd April. Said miles refund should take 1 to 6 working days. We'll see.
UPDATE: miles have just been credited, took filling of the request form on TK website and 2 phone calls to TK call center, bit painful process but refund completed pretty quickly considering the circumstances.
ISTFlyer thanks for the help.
DaveS, ankomonkey and ISTFlyer like this.

Last edited by Alfredbali; Apr 29, 2020 at 9:25 am
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
Please advise . I purchased 2 award tickets online ( Business class -Promotion fare) for DEL-ASR on Turkish airlines website ( travel in June 2020) in Dec 2019. This was for 25000 miles plus 139 USD as taxes etc, per person. I also purchased 2 business class award ticket online for ASR-CGN at cost of 15000 miles plus 40 USD pp. Flight has not been cancelled till now. I prefer to cancel both these flights & get my reward points back as early as possible. Regarding Cash refund of Taxes , What is best suggestion - Whether to wait for cash refund ( which may take long time) or ask for voucher ( 115% value) so that same can be used to buy award ticket on Turkish airlines in future based on availability. I may fly again with them in next summer if Corona permits. Please share if any other better option.

Thank you
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raji
Please advise . I purchased 2 award tickets online ( Business class -Promotion fare) for DEL-ASR on Turkish airlines website ( travel in June 2020) in Dec 2019. This was for 25000 miles plus 139 USD as taxes etc, per person. I also purchased 2 business class award ticket online for ASR-CGN at cost of 15000 miles plus 40 USD pp. Flight has not been cancelled till now. I prefer to cancel both these flights & get my reward points back as early as possible. Regarding Cash refund of Taxes , What is best suggestion - Whether to wait for cash refund ( which may take long time) or ask for voucher ( 115% value) so that same can be used to buy award ticket on Turkish airlines in future based on availability. I may fly again with them in next summer if Corona permits. Please share if any other better option.

Thank you
First, in order to cancel your tickets at the moment, you would need to pay $25 per person per ticket as a cancellation fee ( $100 total for your case ). Later on, your miles would be re-deposited within 24-48 hours and there is the long wait for the refund. Also, a reminder that if you have booked your tickets with miles expiring on 31 Dec 19, your miles won't be redeposited in case of a voluntary cancellation; however, you would be able to do a one-time free date change depending on limited award availability until 28 Feb 21.

AFAIK, the 115% voucher is only available for revenue tickets. However, I might be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.