Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
As 7 November 2020, The options if your travel is affected and the informations about refunds parts are moved to the new guide thread specific to the topic.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/2028156-guide-thread-cv-19-ticketing-changes-rebooking-cancellation-open-ticket-options.html

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT SALES OFFICES AND TK HOTLINE NUMBERS.

Up to date info on TK cancellations and refund/re-booking conditions: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-be/announcements/coronavirus-outbreak/

This thread would continue to provide information about potential border closures, major schedule changes, and any restrictions on TK flights in the future.

Given the fast moving situation please check the TK website. Information in this thread is just guidance and may not be complete or already outdated.

The current situation is stressful and worrying for many of us, please remain friendly and calm. FT members can only give suggestions, they are not representatives of Turkish Airlines.

CURRENT SITUATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS

TK and AnadoluJet have resumed domestic flights on 1 June 2020. Almost all domestic routes have been resumed with reduced frequencies.
TK and AnadoluJet have resumed international flights on 11 June 2020. Please consider the short-haul operations and long-haul operations threads for more details on operating routes.

* Be aware that restrictions may change at any time. Please keep in touch with the information of missions in Turkey and information on the Turkish Airlines website if you're planning to travel in the upcoming days/weeks.

Currently there are no restrictions to enter Turkey or to transfer at Turkey. There is also no COVID test requirement for both entering Turkey and transit ( unless you are departing from Pakistan or your arrival country asks for one ) and no quarantine upon entering Turkey.

Some countries have not opened their airports for passenger flights from/to Turkey so Turkish Airlines is not operating to all of their destinations. More information could be found in the respective threads.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Flight cancellations and entry restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: SK*G, OW S
How do you know it is being applied from today? Have they already posted it on the website?

Edit: just seen the link posted in the thread

Originally Posted by SK AAR
This add. 15% in vouchers or 1000 points/10 EUR is a new policy applied from today - if you cancelled prior to this date; bad luck and there is nothing to do about it. No need to be annoyed; there is no way anyone could tell that this policy was coming.

I for myself cancelled a 1200 EUR ticket last week (admittedly not due to flight suspension but due to schedule change) - that could have potentially netted me 120.000 points.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You just know the vouchers will be difficult to use, I'd rather take the cash and hope that a future flight is 15% cheaper or whatever. As for the miles.......I have enough from normal flying......... I don't "buy" miles.Glad that I refunded my tickets when I did.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: TK Elite
FYI Elite Plus vouchers are not extended in terms of validity because of this. So if you used vouchers for an upcoming flight and the vouchers already expired, it's a loss for you unfortunately.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
FYI Elite Plus vouchers are not extended in terms of validity because of this. So if you used vouchers for an upcoming flight and the vouchers already expired, it's a loss for you unfortunately.
They are not, however, you could keep them with a confirmed date change rather than converting your ticket to an open-jaw, in order not to make them expire. Also, these changes should be made through a sales office in order not to lose the vouchers.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:39 pm

Programs: TK Gold
I almost thought that I can both retain the ticket and get the miles.... haha
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by aapee
This is an amazing offer. I have an an OSL-DPS ticket in C in begining of May. The price of the ticket was 1000 Euro.
So I would get 100 000 miles ??? Thats a lot.
My flights are not yet cancelled or changed. So I have to wait.

But my question is do I get the miles too when I did not book the ticket direct via turkishairlines? Mine is booked over an OTA.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
I almost thought that I can both retain the ticket and get the miles.... haha
At the first point, I thought in the same way you did.

Originally Posted by northernstar84
This is an amazing offer. I have an an OSL-DPS ticket in C in begining of May. The price of the ticket was 1000 Euro.
So I would get 100 000 miles ??? Thats a lot.
My flights are not yet cancelled or changed. So I have to wait.

But my question is do I get the miles too when I did not book the ticket direct via turkishairlines? Mine is booked over an OTA.
There seems to be no restriction on whether you booked the ticket directly or not.
However, be aware that you get 100000 miles but a small reminder that OSL-DPS r/t ticket is 90000 miles + tax, and if you decide to take the mileage offer, you lose your rights on your original ticket.

It's not original routing + 100000 miles.
For your case, you could only choose one of the options below;
1- Original routing on another date regardless of the fare difference
2- A voucher worth 1150 EUR on TK flights that you could use it for yourself
3- 100000 miles
4- A full refund which would be given 2 months after the pandemic ends.
northernstar84 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

There seems to be no restriction on whether you booked the ticket directly or not.
However, be aware that you get 100000 miles but a small reminder that OSL-DPS r/t ticket is 90000 miles + tax, and if you decide to take the mileage offer, you lose your rights on your original ticket.

It's not original routing + 100000 miles.
For your case, you could only choose one of the options below;
1- Original routing on another date regardless of the fare difference
2- A voucher worth 1150 EUR on TK flights that you could use it for yourself
3- 100000 miles

All the offers are very generous from TK.
Thank you.
But I still prefer the miles. So I can use it also with other airlines than TK. I just checked again the ticket price. It was 1500 Euro and not 1000.
The voucher is also nice. But I think to apply the voucher will be a mess, as I know the IT of TK.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northernstar84
All the offers are very generous from TK.
Thank you.
But I still prefer the miles. So I can use it also with other airlines than TK. I just checked again the ticket price. It was 1500 Euro and not 1000.
The voucher is also nice. But I think to apply the voucher will be a mess, as I know the IT of TK.
If the ticket is 1500 EUR, it would be a smart movement to take the miles but a reminder that after things start to get normal, airlines would need some money and probably limited availability tickets for *A flights would probably rarely exist in order to sell more revenue tickets for their need of cash.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:13 am

If the ticket is 1500 EUR, it would be a smart movement to take the miles but a reminder that after things start to get normal, airlines would need some money and probably limited availability tickets for *A flights would probably rarely exist in order to sell more revenue tickets for their need of cash.
Thats a good reason. I am still undecided...lets wait and see.
Gonna check Reward flights availability first.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TK has decided to cancel New York flights and add Chicago flights.
From today till 17 April 2020, TK would only operate flights to; ( scheduled flights on international routes )
- Chicago
- Washington, DC
- Addis Ababa
- Hong Kong
- Moscow ( Would be dropped soon due to the new restrictions of Russia )

All domestic routes continue to operate with a reduced frequency.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Special waivers are active for passengers who intended to go to Euro 2020 or the Tokyo Olympics

Details

As the Tokyo 2020 Olympics are now postponed to 2021, our passengers with flights to Japan are offered the privilege to change or return their tickets, or change their tickets to open tickets.

You may use these privileges if your ticket was issued on or before March 24, 2020. The rights are valid
  • Provided that you take action by July 31, 2020,
  • For flights arriving in Japan between July 14, 2020 and August 9, 2020,
You can complete your personal and group ticket transactions for once, regardless of the fare rules.

Change requests

Provided that your new flight is the same fare class and in the same flight region, you can perform ticket changes for Turkish Airlines and AnadoluJet flights up to one year after your original ticket date, until September 30, 2021, without any penalty.

Return requests

You can return your ticket in accordance with the fare rules specified on your ticket.

Change to open ticket

You can change your ticket to an open ticket, provided that the ticket is used by September 30, 2021, without paying an additional fee.

Tickets can be changed via Turkish Airlines sales offices, our call center, and the agency from which the ticket was purchased.

Due to the cancellation of Euro 2020, our passengers with flights to Italy and Azerbaijan are offered the privilege to change or return their tickets, or change their tickets to open tickets.

You may use these privileges if your ticket was issued on or before March 17, 2020. The rights are valid
  • Provided you take action by July 20, 2020 (included),
  • For flights arriving in Italy between June 09, 2020 and June 12, 2020,
  • For flights arriving in Azerbaijan between June 15, 2020 and June 21, 2020,
You can complete your personal and group ticket transactions at once, regardless of the fare rules.

Change requests

Provided that your new flight is the same fare class and in the same flight region, you can perform ticket changes for Turkish Airlines and AnadoluJet flights up to one year after your original ticket date, until July 10, 2021, without any penalty.

Return requests

You can return your ticket in accordance with the fare rules specified on your ticket.

Change to open ticket

You can change your ticket to an open ticket, provided that the ticket is used by July 10, 2021, without paying an additional fee.

Tickets can be changed via Turkish Airlines sales offices, our call center, and the agency from which the ticket was purchased.
starflyergold likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: M&S Elite+

I can see the logic behind this, but not the wisdom. It might look like it will protect the airline finances, but surely a credit card charge back would be possible if the flight was cancelled? No one is going to want to wait x+2 months, where x is unknown.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveS
I can see the logic behind this, but not the wisdom. It might look like it will protect the airline finances, but surely a credit card charge back would be possible if the flight was cancelled?
Yes, but the actual question would be would the bank/credit card company would pay the money back to the customer before getting it from Turkish Airlines.
I'm pretty sure that TK would claim that they are a merchant of Turkey and Turkish regulations would apply and refuse any kind of chargeback and refuse to pay the banks, credit card companies and travel agents before the pandemic has lifted and 2 months have already passed.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Yes, but the actual question would be would the bank/credit card company would pay the money back to the customer before getting it from Turkish Airlines.
I'm pretty sure that TK would claim that they are a merchant of Turkey and Turkish regulations would apply and refuse any kind of chargeback and refuse to pay the banks, credit card companies and travel agents before the pandemic has lifted and 2 months have already passed.
I think they would have to pay here in the UK. It may be different elsewhere. I hope not to test it out! My next booked flights are in May, I will be looking to change dates or use any more attractive offer by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.