Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

No More Free Hold on Tickets for Non-Elites when Booking Directly with TK

Old Feb 5, 20, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards

Starting from today, Turkish Airlines has removed the option to hold your booking ( a.k.a optional reservation or fare lock ) for free for a period and changed it similar to Lufthansa's hold system. From now on, passengers would be charged a fee, if they would like to hold a reservation, and the fee would be refunded after purchasing the ticket. If the ticket is not purchased, the hold fee would not be refunded. However, Classic Plus, Elite and Elite Plus members are exempt from the hold fee when booking a reservation on hold.

This is an image when trying to make a reservation on hold.
Note: The screenshot below was taken when I was not logged in to my M&S account.

axxoo25 and raporot like this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 10:18 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Ok. Not a big surprise. The option of 72h grace period for free was "too good to be true"...
raporot likes this.
Old Feb 6, 20, 1:36 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Starting from today, Turkish Airlines has removed the option to hold your booking ( a.k.a optional reservation or fare lock ) for free for a period and changed it similar to Lufthansa's hold system. From now on, passengers would be charged a fee, if they would like to hold a reservation, and the fee would be refunded after purchasing the ticket. If the ticket is not purchased, the hold fee would not be refunded. However, Classic Plus, Elite and Elite Plus members are exempt from the hold fee when booking a reservation on hold.

This is an image when trying to make a reservation on hold.
Note: The screenshot below was taken when I was not logged in to my M&S account.

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Ok. Not a big surprise. The option of 72h grace period for free was "too good to be true"...

Honestly, I would categorize it as a positive development for M&S elites. Now, only if they would add free extra leg-room seats in coach for Elite and Elite Plus members!
Old Feb 6, 20, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post
Honestly, I would categorize it as a positive development for M&S elites. Now, only if they would add free extra leg-room seats in coach for Elite and Elite Plus members!
Yes, I completely agree. The current system for exit-rows is unfair for Elite and Elite Plus members. At least T-48 and T-72 online would be OK.
Old Feb 6, 20, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post
Now, only if they would add free extra leg-room seats in coach for Elite and Elite Plus members!
Luckily some of us are Elite Plus with the intention of NEVER having to fly TK in coach. Only 2 times per year of course, but still...

As for the seat hold, I was under the impression that it was just that... holding your seat and not the actual fare. That said, it's been awhile since the old trick died... putting something on hold then calling TK to check upgrade space before completing the purchase.
Old Feb 6, 20, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Luckily some of us are Elite Plus with the intention of NEVER having to fly TK in coach. Only 2 times per year of course, but still...

As for the seat hold, I was under the impression that it was just that... holding your seat and not the actual fare. That said, it's been awhile since the old trick died... putting something on hold then calling TK to check upgrade space before completing the purchase.
Me neither, I am not flying TK long-haul on Y when I could easily get an exit-row seat for free at LH, LO, BA, etc... ( some because of status ) for free during OLCI.

Interestingly, some Turkish OTA’s still continue to hold bookings for free, however, purchasing a ticket from them could be slightly more expensive compared to booking direct with TK

Search this Thread
Search Engine: