Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Booked, Cancelled, and Rebooked - Options?

Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, WN CP AList

I booked an economy itinerary for three and immediately realized I hadn't included full names. I immediately cancelled and then rebooked assuming I would get a full refund for the first booking. Looking through this forum I realize now that that isn't the case if booked from the US directly with Turkish Airlines.

I sent a note via feedback and gave the feedback number to customer service who said someone will get back to me in a few days. What is likely to happen? Should I do anything else? Should I dispute one of two identical charges on my credit card? Or could that cause a problem?

Any other advice other than not to make such a stupid mistake again?

Last edited by Bearbear; Feb 1, 2020 at 10:03 am
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:58 am

depending on your fare bucket, it’s not likely that you would get a full refund when you cancel. I once had such an issue. I included the wrong last name. I’ve called immediately the call center and they’ve directed me to the back office. The back office called me, told me to buy exactly the same flights again, call them back, and they would refund the full amount for the first ticket. I did as instructed, and they did refund me the full amount. Of course what happened to me is not any policy or anything, and it was just a good will action. TK did not have to refund me.

in your case, the difference is that you’ve cancelled without contacting them. I would say your chances are slim. At this moment, the best course of action would be to use the feedback form as the phone agents cannot do anything about your canceled ticket at the moment. Disputing with your bank would not help because TK should have all the legitimate documents to show that you indeed bought the ticket and you accepted all the cancellation charges.

in short, it will all depend on TK’s goodwill.
Bearbear likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If your issue is a "middle name missing" issue, there were people who had success boarding flights.

And in case of the option, they provided to max_kolesne was provided to you, also note that the ticket prices could increase until then and they would refund the cheaper ( the ones missing the full name ) ticket.

Also, could you please provide where ( which country and website ) the ticket was issued and the booking codes so we could take a further look at the ticket policies.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I'm sorry but you should have consulted this forum before you cancelled the tickets. You would have been told that a missing middle name is no issue at all and that there was no reason to cancel.

Unless TK will show mercy and accept to refund, you have made a expensive and way too hasty decision when you cancelled the tickets
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If your issue is a "middle name missing" issue, there were people who had success boarding flights.

And in case of the option, they provided to max_kolesne was provided to you, also note that the ticket prices could increase until then and they would refund the cheaper ( the ones missing the full name ) ticket.

Also, could you please provide where ( which country and website ) the ticket was issued and the booking codes so we could take a further look at the ticket policies.
I'm having a little trouble figuring out the fare bucket but they were standard nonrefundable promotional economy tickets. The issue is I incorrectly assumed the 24 hour rule I'm used to would apply. The tickets were purchased in the US directly from the Turkish Air website.

My credit card statement shows two identical charges in a very short period of time. The credit card representative though one could be disputed as a double charge but I haven't attempted to go down that road.

Yes, it was a middle name issue and clearly I should have handled it differently. I thought a sale was ending that evening and I was buying tickets for a total of five people. (But only three on the itin in question.)
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Bearbear
I'm having a little trouble figuring out the fare bucket but they were standard nonrefundable promotional economy tickets. The issue is I incorrectly assumed the 24 hour rule I'm used to would apply. The tickets were purchased in the US directly from the Turkish Air website.

My credit card statement shows two identical charges in a very short period of time. The credit card representative though one could be disputed as a double charge but I haven't attempted to go down that road.

Yes, it was a middle name issue and clearly I should have handled it differently. I thought a sale was ending that evening and I was buying tickets for a total of five people. (But only three on the itin in question.)
To find the fare bucket, you could use the TK mobile app. Simply enter your reservation number and last name and click on one of the flights. You would see the letter code.

Unfortunately, TK is not a USA merchant and the 24-hour free cancellation policy is a US Department of Transportation regulation for tickets issued in the USA. Even though you have physically booked from the USA or/and with a USA based card on a USA departure ticket; probably, TK is using a banking system based elsewhere than the USA to process the payment so the ticket is not technically issued in the USA. This is probably because of US banking systems charging more commission than other countries. So, there is nothing other than to fill out a feedback form on turkishairlines.com and wait for their response.

Also, if you complain about double charging, as one of the previous posters mentioned, Turkish Airlines could easily provide that you have purchased two tickets with two different PNR's.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:50 am

In addition, a dispute can lead TK to potentially black-list you. They can easily show that it was a legitimate purchase, and I do think that the credit card customer representative is giving you bad advice.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would certainly not dispute the charge on the grounds of a double charging. Not honest/reasonable of you and way too easy for TK to prove that you are in the wrong. TK may not go easy on you if you choose such dishonest path.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

OK, I think I have some good news here. I have posted the reply from Turkish Airlines below with some personal info XXX,YYY, and ZZZed out. It isn't completely obvious if this is a credit or I can possibly get a refund. It will be challenging to find time for another trip using this credit within the next year.

I would appreciate advice on how to handle this or what to do next. Thanks for the advice so far!!

========================

The below electronic miscellaneous documents (EMD) have been issued on February 6th, 2020.

You can apply to our sales offices to use the electronic travel/refund check in ticket buying/changing transaction, or to pay for your excess baggage. If you prefer refund, we kindly request you to contact the office where you will have the relevant transaction made before going there.

You can learn the location of Turkish Airlines Sales Office closest to you through the following link:

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-t...ml#tcm92-18246

Passenger Name/Surname: XXX
EMD number: YYY
EMD value: ZZZ EUR

- EMD may be used for the abovementioned transactions by Turkish Airlines sales offices within 1 year as of the issuance date.
- EMD may be used for the sales transactions of Turkish Airlines flights only.
- It is not possible to change the name on EMD and/or transfer EMD to another person.
- EMD may not be used in online transactions.
- EMD may be redeemed by Turkish Airlines sales offices within 2 year as of the issuance date.

Please contact our sales office to learn the cash availability before applying the sales office.

Thank you for choosing Turkish Airlines.

Sincerely Yours,

Busra B.
Customer Representative

TURKISH AIRLINES INC.
Customer Contact Center
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Sounds like you got some flexibility from TK when they could have been cruel and gone by the book.

Pleased to hear this and congratulations, Bearbear!
ISTFlyer and Bearbear like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice outcome.

I believe you can cash out the EMDs by contacting the local ticket office. Give it a try if you prefer this (most of us would)
ISTFlyer and Bearbear like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.