Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Champions League Final, Istanbul, 30 May 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD (Star Alliance Gold), Boy Scouts 'Spotters' badge

I'll be at the game and I'm flying Turkish Airlines ARN-IST on the morning of the match, Saturday 30 May. I've chosen the cheapest route, LHR-ARN then ARN-IST, travelling in Economy. Return journey the next day, but travelling Business. I'm staying 1 night only at the Yotel in the airport. I've only flown TA twice before, the last time was 3 years ago to the old IST airport and I don't remember much about the flight except that it was comfortable and punctual.

My questions: Any of you guys stayed at the Yotel? I've read good things about it on Tripadvisor, but a work colleague stayed there recently and said that although the hotel & his room itself were very good, the staff & service weren't? Also, is the rail link to central Istanbul completed now? It's hard to see from trawling the net, with some saying that it won't be completed for another year but others saying that the rail link to town is extremely convenient. I realise that there's a perfectly good bus alternative to fall back on.

Also, does the rail link (if it's up) run through the night? We've got hospitality after the final but, knowing the guys that I'm going with, the evening won't end there!! If it doesn't, I can't imagine that a taxi would be so expensive?

And, last question......do they take dollars and/or euros in Istanbul these days? I remember years ago that the USD was a most acceptable currency there, but perhaps that's changed? The old TL notes that I filled my pockets with were a health hazard, they were all faded, crumpled, filthy and absolutely stank!!

Thanks for any advice.....

Last edited by Mackan2017; Jan 30, 2020 at 8:59 am
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Mackan2017
I'll be at the game and I'm flying Turkish Airlines ARN-IST on the morning of the match, Saturday 30 May. I've chosen the cheapest route, LHR-ARN then ARN-IST, travelling in Economy. Return journey the next day, but travelling Business. I'm staying 1 night only at the Yotel in the airport. I've only flown TA twice before, the last time was 3 years ago to the old IST airport and I don't remember much about the flight except that it was comfortable and punctual.

My questions: Any of you guys stayed at the Yotel? I've read good things about it on Tripadvisor, but a work colleague stayed there recently and said that although the hotel & his room itself were very good, the staff & service weren't? Also, is the rail link to central Istanbul completed now? It's hard to see from trawling the net, with some saying that it won't be completed for another year but others saying that the rail link to town is extremely convenient. I realise that there's a perfectly good bus alternative to fall back on.

Also, does the rail link (if it's up) run through the night? We've got hospitality after the final but, knowing the guys that I'm going with, the evening won't end there!! If it doesn't, I can't imagine that a taxi would be so expensive?

And, last question......do they take dollars and/or euros in Istanbul these days? I remember years ago that the USD was a most acceptable currency there, but perhaps that's changed? The old TL notes that I filled my pockets with were a health hazard, they were all faded, crumpled, filthy and absolutely stank!!

Thanks for any advice.....
Just and advice that do not pay taxis in USD or EUR as they might try you to scam you with the exchange rates. There would be free buses from the airport and the stadium on the matchday. Still the airport metro is not open and even it does until May 2020 ( less than 1% ), it would be a huge detour from Atatürk Olympic Stadium to use the metro.

For YOTEL, please consult the respective thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.