Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Guidance needed to get maximum miles in Economy class

Guidance needed to get maximum miles in Economy class

Old Jan 26, 20, 5:21 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Programs: Miles & Smiles
Posts: 21
Question Guidance needed to get maximum miles in Economy class

Hi,

As an Elit Card owner, I will be travelling to
BRU-DFW on 01.03.2020
MCO-BRU on 13.03.2020

I have always preferred TA on my flights but this time it's not very convenient since the total flight time is around 22 hours one way while it is around 14 hours with Lufthansa or Air Canada.
Considering that I need 25K status miles (not only this flight) to Elite Plus Card, what would be your suggestion to take in this journey? The prices are between 800 EUR-1100 EUR and I am fine with any option. It looks like my question is something I need to ask to a travel agency but when it comes to miles benefits they don't help/know much. So, I was wondering if anybody can guide me for the best option.

Thanks in advance,
dolevo is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 7:40 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Stuttgart
Programs: TK E+
Posts: 11
You may have to call the hotline to get the cheapest cabin class that gives you 100% miles accrued (I assume Q class).
If you simple choose Semi-flexible Ticket online, this may give you a class cheaper than Q but only 50%.
ChenH is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 7:42 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 6,183
Of course most travel agents do not know anything about earnings with M&S (and cannot reasonably be expected to that IMO).

With that itinerary most likely LH will suit you best; traveling on TK wouldn't make sense. You need to look up the booking class for the flights you are contemplating to book and then find the M&S earnings on the TK webpage. Not difficult.

OT: please don't use TA as abbreviation for Turkish Airlines - it took me a while to figure out that you were not referring to a travel agent but to TK (TA is abbreviation used for a travel agent; TK is the abbreviation for Turkish Airlines in here - sorry for lecturing you).

Last edited by SK AAR; Jan 26, 20 at 7:48 am
SK AAR is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 10:46 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,708
Will look for you in a few hours.
Any flexibility ( -+1 days or something like AMS instead of BRU )?
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 12:01 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,708
€820 -> This is the best value in terms of Euros/mileage I could find for you. I have combined specific booking classes for the actual dates you want. I also looked for Premium Economy Saver availability but on the return leg, only Brussels Airlines Premium Economy was available and that is a huge zero when earning miles on M&S.

Unfortunately, it isn't easy to good mileage rates on the route you fly. I have also checked TK with a detour at IST, however, the price for the booking class giving %100 mileage accrual was around €1300.

Most Lufthansa and Air Canada booking classes give low mileage accrual compared to United.
United %75 earning fare classes seem better than others and you could keep the rest of the money for a future trip. You would earn 7286 miles.



Remark: The LH codeshare on the return is a pricing/coding thing to make the flight cheaper.
dolevo likes this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 9:52 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Programs: Miles & Smiles
Posts: 21
Thank you ISTFlyer. I was expecting more miles to get but it's ok. I will fly to Chicago in May. I will then compensate it.
ISTFlyer likes this.
dolevo is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:30 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,708
Originally Posted by dolevo View Post
Thank you ISTFlyer. I was expecting more miles to get but it's ok. I will fly to Chicago in May. I will then compensate it.
Also, be aware that some IST originated TK tickets to the USA ( including ORD ) would give %25 miles. If you have a Canadian visa and if traveling with a direct flight is not a must, the best way to get miles on this route is to fly IST-(LH)-FRA-(AC)-YYZ-(AC)-ORD on Premium Economy Saver, this would give you %125 miles for 999-1049 r/t.
Squalusss likes this.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:59 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: BOM/DEL/GAU
Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Posts: 1,124
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
€820 -> This is the best value in terms of Euros/mileage I could find for you. I have combined specific booking classes for the actual dates you want. I also looked for Premium Economy Saver availability but on the return leg, only Brussels Airlines Premium Economy was available and that is a huge zero when earning miles on M&S.

Unfortunately, it isn't easy to good mileage rates on the route you fly. I have also checked TK with a detour at IST, however, the price for the booking class giving %100 mileage accrual was around €1300.

Most Lufthansa and Air Canada booking classes give low mileage accrual compared to United.
United %75 earning fare classes seem better than others and you could keep the rest of the money for a future trip. You would earn 7286 miles.



Remark: The LH codeshare on the return is a pricing/coding thing to make the flight cheaper.


So very kind of you to do the research and help out a fellow FT'er! Great job ISTFlyer !!
ISTFlyer, rozy and Squalusss like this.
AvidFlyer1990 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 20, 6:56 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,708
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post


So very kind of you to do the research and help out a fellow FT'er! Great job ISTFlyer !!
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 3:50 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Programs: Miles & Smiles
Posts: 21
ISTFlyer may I ask which tool you use to do this search? I am using Lufthansa website but it's very time consuming till I see the booking class of the ticket I review.
Thanks
dolevo is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 9:29 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 4,708
Originally Posted by dolevo View Post
ISTFlyer may I ask which tool you use to do this search? I am using Lufthansa website but it's very time consuming till I see the booking class of the ticket I review.
Thanks
ITA Matrix
dolevo likes this.
ISTFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: