Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

EP Limitless Internet turned into 400MB. Is this new?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G EP

I am EP and fly regularly to the US or other long haul destinations. Every month. Sometimes two times a month.

I've always used my free wifi in economy without any problems. This time, on Jan 20th flight on IST-LAX, I couldn't log on after some hours. It prompted "you reached your session limit". One crew member said there was a problem with Elite/Elite+ users using internet. She took my name and TK number.

Today I received this email saying they are sorry etc. But this part is interesting.

"Ustelik Elite Plus bir üyemiz olarak, Economy Class’ta seyahat etseniz dahi, sunduğumuz internet hizmetinden kotalı ( 400 MB ) olarak faydalanma imkânına sahipsiniz."

While you are flying on Economy as EP, you can use internet with a limit of 400MB.

i dont think I've used that much to reach and over the limit but I didn't even know that there was a limit anyway. Interesting.
Squalusss, ISTFlyer and gr8pirate like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by rozy
I am EP and fly regularly to the US or other long haul destinations. Every month. Sometimes two times a month.

I've always used my free wifi in economy without any problems. This time, on Jan 20th flight on IST-LAX, I couldn't log on after some hours. It prompted "you reached your session limit". One crew member said there was a problem with Elite/Elite+ users using internet. She took my name and TK number.

Today I received this email saying they are sorry etc. But this part is interesting.

"Ustelik Elite Plus bir üyemiz olarak, Economy Class’ta seyahat etseniz dahi, sunduğumuz internet hizmetinden kotalı ( 400 MB ) olarak faydalanma imkânına sahipsiniz."

While you are flying on Economy as EP, you can use internet with a limit of 400MB.

i dont think I've used that much to reach and over the limit but I didn't even know that there was a limit anyway. Interesting.
On Jan 20, the Internet in Turkey (TTNET) crashed, and that’s probably why you couldn’t connect to the Internet. I couldn’t either when I was flying IST-IAD in the 20th until 6 pm Turkish time.

I have seen the limit as well. It was 400 mb for E+ and 1 gb for business class.
rozy likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Interesting; I haven't seen the limit before; nice to know. Thank you rozy
rozy likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
This is news to me. Maybe I never went over the limit, not like the connection really works for anything but basic things.

Get in touch if you need anything around LAX, rozy !
rozy likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
This is news to me. Maybe I never went over the limit, not like the connection really works for anything but basic things.

Get in touch if you need anything around LAX, rozy !
As soon as you connect to the Internet, you would see the limit shown. So, you don’t have to go over the limit to see that there is a limit now. I think that’s new as January 6 was the first time I saw it. Maybe started in 2020?
rozy likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: TK E+
Nice to know.

I encountered the same session limit problem on 09.01 as EP in biz, and the same I didn't think I reached that much as 1gb. In a few days I will have my return trip and check if I can get a screenshot of the data usage limit.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
On Jan 20, the Internet in Turkey (TTNET) crashed, and that’s probably why you couldn’t connect to the Internet. I couldn’t either when I was flying IST-IAD in the 20th until 6 pm Turkish time.

I have seen the limit as well. It was 400 mb for E+ and 1 gb for business class.
This is interesting! Never knew that the limit existed, though, I guess I was always under the 1 gb mark. Question: do you know if 1 gb is for all business class or only for Elite / ELPL in business?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm going to ruin my geek credentials here ...

..but do the 400mb/1gb limits cover sporadic Whatsapp messaging and email access over ten hours or so?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:41 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

..but do the 400mb/1gb limits cover sporadic Whatsapp messaging and email access over ten hours or so?
It's more than enough
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

As starflyergold mentioned, it's high enough for WhatsApp messaging; however, you might exceed the limit if you constantly use Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook as they all download high-quality photos.

Also, listening to music via Spotify, Fizy, Pandora, etc... ( excluding downloaded music ) or downloading movies or TV shows will exceed the limit.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
One of the questions that came up on the x2/x3 miles promotion at the end of last year was about the data limit for EP. The correct answer then was Unlimited. So this limit must be new this year,
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: TK E+
Just confirmed the 1GB for C class.

ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:24 pm

Reduced WiFi allowance

Probably it was already mentioned somewhere: TK has reduced the free onboard Internet allowance: 1GB for Business class (used to be unlimited) & 400MB for Elite/Elite Plus (used to be unlimited, regardless of the class of travel).
Old Sep 19, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's already discussed here.

The new quotas had been placed at the beginning of 2020 and this is not something new.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I’ve encountered the same problem now on several flights and I wonder if anyone has the same experience and perhaps a solution.

On my first TK flight of the day, everything works smoothly. I have 400 MB free WiFi and can log in and out to switch devices.

Then on my second flight, WiFi log in doesn’t work. There’s nothing wrong with the WiFi itself as I can use the TK website without problems. But it doesn’t accept my details and says “The connection is unsuccessful due to a technical reason. Connection will be provided as soon as possible”.

This then goes on and on throughout the second flight and the WiFi never works. Regardless of which device I use. Even the FA tried to log in on her own phone using my details but to no avail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.