TK airspace policy - Iran/Iraq/Saudi

Old Jan 4, 20, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

TK airspace policy - Iran/Iraq

I'm presently on board TK781 from DOH-IST and we are taking the strangest flight path.

Instead of the standard UL602 routing that this flight has used every day for the last 6 months, we initially went overhead Bahrain and entered Jeddah FIR at ULADA, following Q143 past Dammam until suddenly doing a U-turn and exiting back to Bahrain FIR crossing northbound off airway at FL320 to intercept UT602 at ITNAS and then onward to Teheran FIR at ROTOX. Now proceeding along L570 which is a reasonable routing.

Essentially, we've been airborne over an hour and are barely 200nm out of Doha. Looking at Flightradar it seems that TK779 from Bahrain has had a similar issue although they turned much shallower in Jeddah FIR.

Has TK adopted some sort of new policy to avoid Baghdad FIR in light of recent developments? That is the only logical explanation for this (and the crossing of Bahrain FIR off airway is something I've never seen before in many years of operation in this region which is what really got me wondering).

TK781 from Doha to Istanbul
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.

Last edited by B747-437B; Jan 5, 20 at 5:16 am
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:10 pm

Programs: TK Gold
It appears that they may be avoiding Iraqi airspace. That's probably a wise decision given events of the last few days.

There is some information here:

https://safeairspace.net/iraq/

Safe travels.
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Certainly there is (possibly) a valid reason to avoid Baghdad FIR (although the inbound flight operated via UM688 and there are presently about a dozen THY flights on UM860), but why the routing into Jeddah FIR in the first place? You can get to L570 much more directly from Doha by using UT602 and save nearly 30 minutes flying time. Indeed QR189 took off behind us on this routing and is now leading us by nearly 50nm.
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Between the Iran / Iraq / US tensions and the Qatar boycott by Saudi, etc. it certainly must be interesting times to thread the needle for flights in/out of DOH.
Old Jan 7, 20, 6:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Now that ballistic missiles are flying over Iran and Iraq, I wonder whether TK will continue to overfly this airspace?
Old Jan 7, 20, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The map looks like it would have been shorter to stay south of Iraq.
Old Jan 8, 20, 8:37 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
All flights to Iran and Iraq are showing as cancelled. At IST now and thankfully not heading that way.
Old Jan 8, 20, 3:55 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus (*A Gold), FB Gold (SkyTeam Elite+), LCAH Gold
Do we know if TK is planning to avoid Iranian airspace? I am flying SIN I a couple days which goes right above Iran in a normal routing. Although I'm usually a guy that believes whatever happens is bound to happen I would feel more at ease not going airspace that others are actively avoiding in the wake of a rather shady and still unclear incident yesterday
Old Jan 8, 20, 8:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa View Post
Do we know if TK is planning to avoid Iranian airspace? I am flying SIN I a couple days which goes right above Iran in a normal routing. Although I'm usually a guy that believes whatever happens is bound to happen I would feel more at ease not going airspace that others are actively avoiding in the wake of a rather shady and still unclear incident yesterday
Today's TK54 was routed over Turkmenistan and Afghanistan, if that makes you feel safer. You can check out the flight routing here.
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 10:21 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
My mom redeemed ticket for a late February trip from HKG-IST. She is also panicking if she should cancel it.
She said she is concerned if Iran would retaliate Turkey since there are also U.S. bases in Turkey. I really don't know what I should respond.
Old Jan 9, 20, 3:01 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus (*A Gold), FB Gold (SkyTeam Elite+), LCAH Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
Today's TK54 was routed over Turkmenistan and Afghanistan, if that makes you feel safer. You can check out the flight routing here.
Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 20, 5:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by tya View Post
My mom redeemed ticket for a late February trip from HKG-IST. She is also panicking if she should cancel it.
She said she is concerned if Iran would retaliate Turkey since there are also U.S. bases in Turkey. I really don't know what I should respond.
HKG-IST doesn't fly over Iranian airspace
Old Jan 10, 20, 4:48 am

That will never happen as there are many Turkish soldiers there too and Turkey has great ties with Iran
Old Jan 13, 20, 4:44 am
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by MixalisK. View Post
That will never happen as there are many Turkish soldiers there too and Turkey has great ties with Iran
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Rykoshet View Post
HKG-IST doesn't fly over Iranian airspace
But it looks like TK has resuming flying over Iran, at least I saw it o TK70 IST-HKG today
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:56 pm

Thanks!

But it looks like TK has resuming flying over Iran, at least I saw it o TK70 IST-HKG today
Yes it does. I checked the flight path for my upcoming flight TK60 to KUL this Wednesday and I was disappointed to see that they still fly over Iran. Maybe because Iran hasn't release a ban of flights over its national airspace.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: