Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

EC261 Claim? Or Take the TK Offer of Miles? Or Both?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

On 2 January, my flight BCN-IST was delayed by 2 hours, meaning that I would miss my connecting flight to AUH. The TK ticket office in BCN worked their magic and got me to AUH 5 hours late via RUH. Not the most pleasant of detours but admittedly the quickest way of getting there. (assuming the agent wasn't lying about EK direct to DXB being sold out in J)

It seems to me like a clear cut case of EC261 delay for 600 euros and I sent in a feedback form accordingly. I received a fairly quick response offering 25,000 miles. My E+ status may or may not be relevant.

Now, 25k miles is not worth 600 euros at all, but it's not bad. (300 euros or so) So a couple of questions for the TK experts.

1. Was there fog/weather, etc. in IST on the 2nd that may allow TK to come up with an "extraordinary circumstances" argument?
2. Is there much chance of TK paying out EC261 cash without taking them to court?

Anybody else been offered miles by TK before? I can't recall anybody on FT mentioning such a thing. It could also mean that my compensation case is quite clear, and with some minimal push back I could get the full 600 euros.

Thoughts?
Squalusss likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TK definitely will not pay out the miles without a clear written acknowledgement that it is a "settlement" of your EC 261/2004 claim. That is expressly permitted by the Regulation.

What was the reason for the delay. While it is TK's to prove an "extraordinary circumstance" it is hard for you or anyone to evaluate the likelihood of success in a compensation claim without knowing that information. Whether it was raining in IST is one of a hundred or more factors, so better to do a bit of research.

Most particularly, what did TK say at BCN. Staff on the spot on the best source of information as they won't dress things up.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1

Most particularly, what did TK say at BCN. Staff on the spot on the best source of information as they won't dress things up.
Staff knew nothing at BCN other than inbound was late. Therefore I know nothing, and am accordingly asking those based in IST as to whether there was weather on the 2nd, in the same way a Londoner would know when it snowed heavily at LHR and caused delays there...
Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
You can find historical weather data here: Weather Underground. No precipitation shown for the 2nd.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Staff knew nothing at BCN other than inbound was late. Therefore I know nothing, and am accordingly asking those based in IST as to whether there was weather on the 2nd, in the same way a Londoner would know when it snowed heavily at LHR and caused delays there...
Nonetheless, that tells you very very little.

Winds aloft, vectored around by ATC, change in wind direction. Some of the busiest airspace in the world between IST and LON.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's best to wait until they respond to your claim for compensation with the reason and take it from there. For me, cash is king.
raporot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.