Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

You can upgrade your flight with Miles, online now!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Email from TK today: "We are glad to make your life more comfortable. Now, you can easily and rapidly upgrade your cabin with Miles, through the manage booking tab, by using our website or mobile application!"

Shuly
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's nice to see TK trying, but with all things IT related these improvements need to be taken with a healthy dose of "will it actually work" skepticism...

Now if only a working version of the E+ upgrades could be implemented...
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:18 am

Already used this for a relative, took me less than 5 minutes to book and upgrade, all online.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
Already used this for a relative, took me less than 5 minutes to book and upgrade, all online.
Can I ask the benefit of upgrading a relative, instead of just booking them an award ticket?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Can I ask the benefit of upgrading a relative, instead of just booking them an award ticket?
While it is usually cheaper to book the Award instead of an upgrade (+ base fare to be upgraded) since the same amount of miles is needed, in some cases I'D choose the upgrade, too:

a.) Y-ticket might already have been issued by employer for corporate travel or been bought for vacation while price was low and no C availability at time of booking but fixed travel Dates

b.) miles for base fare might be needed (e.g. to reach Status), full Award = no miles, upgrade Award = miles for base fare

c.) different classes needed for Award vs. upgrade, so you might be able to upgrade even while no Award is available

d.) taxes + surcharges on some Awards might be more expansive than buying the economy ticket...
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zap7
While it is usually cheaper to book the Award instead of an upgrade (+ base fare to be upgraded) since the same amount of miles is needed, in some cases I'D choose the upgrade, too:

a.) Y-ticket might already have been issued by employer for corporate travel or been bought for vacation while price was low and no C availability at time of booking but fixed travel Dates

b.) miles for base fare might be needed (e.g. to reach Status), full Award = no miles, upgrade Award = miles for base fare

c.) different classes needed for Award vs. upgrade, so you might be able to upgrade even while no Award is available

d.) taxes + surcharges on some Awards might be more expansive than buying the economy ticket...
This is all true... for me or another member with status or serious interest in miles. But for a random relative?!?! I guess my family is just not that close.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Did you check if J fares are required to be upgraded? FYI, J fares are scare these days, let alone J fares which can be upgraded using E+ upgrade vouchers.

The link is here in case anyone didn't receive emails from TK

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...siness-upgrade
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Wishing E+ upgrades could benprocessed online too
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:59 pm

We are flying the same flight and we booked our flights as award tickets much in advance. However, the flight was in 10 days when we were booking hers and there was no way to find saver availability, and there was no flexibility either as she needed to fly with us (it would be quite awkward if me and my wife sat upfront and the mother-in-law had to sit in Y). Lastly, even if saver space was available, we had to book a round-trip. Thus, a one-way award + one-way cash return ticket would be more expensive inclusive all costs.

To address the other question, I didn’t dig thoroughly regarding the J availability. I tried to book cash and the website did not offer me any J availability. However, when I booked Y and upgraded, there were no hiccups
craigthemif and vincewy like this.

Last edited by max_kolesne; Aug 23, 2019 at 12:14 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
...it would be quite awkward if me and my wife sat upfront and the mother-in-law had to sit in Y...
Tricky one! You did the noble thing by offering your miles for this. Or swapping seats onboard so that you took the Y seat
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To address the other question, I didn’t dig thoroughly regarding the J availability. I tried to book cash and the website did not offer me any J availability. However, when I booked Y and upgraded, there were no hiccups
A few more data points like this one - upgrading without J available - and this becomes a much more interesting option!
vincewy likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Tricky one! You did the noble thing by offering your miles for this. Or swapping seats onboard so that you took the Y seat
yeah I am pretty sure I would be the one sitting in the Y seat lol. It’s kinda like I upgraded myself.
ankomonkey, rozy and birsti like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond

yeah I am pretty sure I would be the one sitting in the Y seat lol. It’s kinda like I upgraded myself.
Did you book Y as in full fare Economy Class or just Economy Class? I advise not to use those acronyms unless you specifically mean full fare Y or J as in the booking class J used for upgrade space and not as an acronym for Business Class in general.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It's nice to see TK trying, but with all things IT related these improvements need to be taken with a healthy dose of "will it actually work" skepticism...

Now if only a working version of the E+ upgrades could be implemented...
If only the could manage even to show the +vouchers attributed to my account, together with expiry date. That would be a revolutionary step forward for TK IT
ISTFlyer, SFOTraveler1984 and rozy like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by LH4116
Did you book Y as in full fare Economy Class or just Economy Class? I advise not to use those acronyms unless you specifically mean full fare Y or J as in the booking class J used for upgrade space and not as an acronym for Business Class in general.
The booking class was V.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.