Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

You can upgrade your flight with Miles, online now!

You can upgrade your flight with Miles, online now!

Old Oct 31, 19, 3:20 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by max_kolesne View Post
True. However, the design of the website and the app gave me the impression that TK may push some promotional upgrade offers via the app later, similar to what US-based carriers have been offering.
IMO, it would be like American Airlines where directly the fare difference is requested.
Old Nov 1, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: TK Miles &Smile Elite, Star Alliance Gold
It is a great new feature when it works. In the past month it never worked on all my bookings and I did my upgrades at last minute upon check in at the airport.
I was able to use it few days ago, for the first time, on a ticket that actually was issued by my company travel agency and in a couple of seconds I upgraded my flight.
Old Nov 3, 19, 12:08 am

Using Turkish miles to upgrade other 8A flights

How can I use Turkish miles to upgrade a *A flight booked on a partner (SA or UA etc)
Old Nov 3, 19, 8:34 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by flyertalk_member View Post
How can I use Turkish miles to upgrade a *A flight booked on a partner (SA or UA etc)
Your ticket must be on full fare 'Y' or 'B' fare classes. If so you could do it online via the TK website.
Old Nov 3, 19, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Your ticket must be on full fare 'Y' or 'B' fare classes. If so you could do it online via the TK website.
So you say a for example Y booked flight on UA, I can request an upgrade with miles on the TK website?
Old Nov 3, 19, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalk_member View Post
So you say a for example Y booked flight on UA, I can request an upgrade with miles on the TK website?
From this link, yes:

Old Jan 3, 20, 7:31 am

Today, I upgraded my wife's flight using miles at a sales office. The app did not show any availability for an upgrade with miles. However, J-class was available. The sales office agent could process the upgrade, but confirmed that J-availability is no guarantee for an upgrade.
craigthemif likes this.

Last edited by max_kolesne; Jan 3, 20 at 8:09 am
Old Feb 29, 20, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Does anyone have any experience with first upgrading a flight to business class and then downgrading again to economy? Is that possible and will I get the miles back? Is there any fee for that?
Reason: For one of my flights, the website offers to upgrade via miles, but not via ELPL voucher. I am tempted to do the upgrade now using miles, but should J availability appear later for the voucher upgrade, I would downgrade myself again, get the miles back and do the upgrade using voucher.
The T&Cs on the website are not very clear: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...siness-upgrade
Any experiences would be appreciated
Old Feb 29, 20, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with first upgrading a flight to business class and then downgrading again to economy? Is that possible and will I get the miles back? Is there any fee for that?
Reason: For one of my flights, the website offers to upgrade via miles, but not via ELPL voucher. I am tempted to do the upgrade now using miles, but should J availability appear later for the voucher upgrade, I would downgrade myself again, get the miles back and do the upgrade using voucher.
The T&Cs on the website are not very clear: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...siness-upgrade
Any experiences would be appreciated
If I'm not wrong, when you request a change ( and if applicable pay for the fare difference and change fee ) they refund you the miles back without any charge. However, I am not sure if they give the miles back when you simply don't want the upgrade anymore.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
I have myself and my wife on a booking. An upgrade option shows on the app for 110,000 miles for both pax (2 x 55,000)
Whilst my wife has 64,000 on her account and I have 75,000 on my account neither of us have the required 110,000 to process the upgrade.
I visited a sales office and got the shrug of the shoulders to say that they cant process any upgrades and that I will have to do it at the airport.
It doesn't look possible to upgrade 1 pax at a time, it has to be both as on the booking.
Any suggestions around this? Its annoying to know we have the miles for an individual upgrade.
Old Mar 3, 20, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by ironmouse View Post
I have myself and my wife on a booking. An upgrade option shows on the app for 110,000 miles for both pax (2 x 55,000)
Whilst my wife has 64,000 on her account and I have 75,000 on my account neither of us have the required 110,000 to process the upgrade.
I visited a sales office and got the shrug of the shoulders to say that they cant process any upgrades and that I will have to do it at the airport.
It doesn't look possible to upgrade 1 pax at a time, it has to be both as on the booking.
Any suggestions around this? Its annoying to know we have the miles for an individual upgrade.
what is your status with TK? If itís Classic Plus and above you can set up a family account to pool your miles.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 20, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Ah, I'm elite so will look into that. Thanks
Old Mar 9, 20, 3:34 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by gr8pirate View Post
Upgraded a flight next year with the app and was surprised not to have any issues.
I am very interested in knowing how you did this? Was there an upgrade option in the app? And was the ticket re-issued immediately?
Old Mar 9, 20, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post
I am very interested in knowing how you did this? Was there an upgrade option in the app? And was the ticket re-issued immediately?
If there is 'J' class availability on the flight(s) you would like to upgrade, you could directly upgrade them via the website and the app and the ticket is re-issued immediately. However, this only applies for mileage upgrades, you would still need to contact the hotline or a sales office for Elite Plus voucher upgrades.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:36 pm

Programs: QR Gold (OWS), Taj Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by ironmouse View Post
Can you ask them to split the tickets into separate PNRs and then upgrade each booking (with its own unique PNR) one at a time. I know that SQ and CX will readily split a PNR when requested.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: