Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

You can upgrade your flight with Miles, online now!

You can upgrade your flight with Miles, online now!

Old Sep 20, 19, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Has anybody tried this with an OTA booking?

I'm thinking similar to the E+ upgrade certificates, but using miles. Book with a 24-hour refund policy, upgrade if possible... cancel if not...
Old Sep 20, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
It worked for one of my relatives. I was the one booking the ticket ( looking at J class availability first ) and then upgrading.
The process was successful.
Old Oct 3, 19, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Another data point...

Booked a TK flight using a USA-based OTA. E-ticket issued immediately.

Followed the process on the TK website to upgrade the booking using miles. It's quite obvious when managing your booking. It seemed a bit glitchy but actually the upgrade processed without any obvious confirmation. (until you end up back on the booking page and see Business Class instead of Economy)

The all-important pre-upgrade fare bucket information...

1. The one-way itinerary matching mine was only selling as K class on the TK website
2. J class was, however, available as part of a return booking
3. I class was also available at the time

I was also charged an extra 10 miles versus what the upgrade chart says.
Old Oct 3, 19, 4:01 pm

Programs: TK E+, UA S, BoNVoY TE, IHG G
Similar online experience yesterday

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Another data point...

Booked a TK flight using a USA-based OTA. E-ticket issued immediately.

Followed the process on the TK website to upgrade the booking using miles. It's quite obvious when managing your booking. It seemed a bit glitchy but actually the upgrade processed without any obvious confirmation. (until you end up back on the booking page and see Business Class instead of Economy)

The all-important pre-upgrade fare bucket information...

1. The one-way itinerary matching mine was only selling as K class on the TK website
2. J class was, however, available as part of a return booking
3. I class was also available at the time

I was also charged an extra 10 miles versus what the upgrade chart says.
I had a very similar upgrade experience yesterday on the TK website. In my case, I purchase two one-way Q-fare tickets SKG-IST-BOS via the TK web-site. I then attempted to process the upgrade with miles from manage my bookings. After selecting the flights to upgrade, a window popped-up asking to either 'return to the previous step' or 'proceed to payment' (from my memory, not 100% exact wording). I clicked 'proceed' and that is when the web-site hung! I was thinking the worse, that miles would be deducted and no upgrade processed. I waited almost 3 minutes before deciding to hit the 'return to the previous step' button. The screen didn't initially show any upgrades, but when I logged-out and then logged back-in, I could see miles deducted (which I thought was fulfilling my initial fears), but then under the bookings it was clear both tickets were upgraded (J) with no change to the ticket number. Seat selection in business was also possible at that time.

The fare buckets before and after ugrade (based on EF):

Pre-upgrade:
SKG-IST-BOS J4 I4 (this was the same values on the individual segements as well)

Post-upgrade:
SKG-IST-BOS J4 I3

45,000 per ticket, as per the TK chart.
Old Oct 4, 19, 8:18 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW View Post
I clicked 'proceed' and that is when the web-site hung! I was thinking the worse, that miles would be deducted and no upgrade processed. I waited almost 3 minutes before deciding to hit the 'return to the previous step' button. The screen didn't initially show any upgrades, but when I logged-out and then logged back-in, I could see miles deducted (which I thought was fulfilling my initial fears)...
This SCARES me!!!
Old Oct 4, 19, 9:34 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post
This SCARES me!!!
similar happens. My name was differently written by travel agent so whennupgrading, vouchers deducted but no upgrade processed since names not matching, vouchers vanished and it was a huuuuuge pain to resolve and took me local contacts to get rectified.

Yeah. TK.
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:46 pm

Programs: TK E+, UA S, BoNVoY TE, IHG G
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post
This SCARES me!!!
Scared me too! Even though the end result was successful, I think I will phone the call center next time.
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:44 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
similar happens. My name was differently written by travel agent so whennupgrading, vouchers deducted but no upgrade processed since names not matching, vouchers vanished and it was a huuuuuge pain to resolve and took me local contacts to get rectified.

Yeah. TK.
This is scary, however, you should have provided the travel agent your name on your passport and you should have been registered to M&S with your name on your passport.
Old Oct 5, 19, 2:03 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post

Yeah. TK.
Yep...this is scary. Did you call to apply your upgrade certs, or did you do it online? I have personally never done it online, so, curious to know as to what entails. P.S. Glad to know you got your certs back, even though it took some effort.

Originally Posted by YOW_RTW View Post
Scared me too! Even though the end result was successful, I think I will phone the call center next time.
I'd say phone, but then, we all know the quality of TK reps. You may luck out and get a great one on your first try, but, you may have to HUACA multiple times: but, I guess it is still better than trying to work the 'BUGGY' website. I really hope they work these kinks out soon.
Old Oct 29, 19, 9:09 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Upgraded a flight next year with the app and was surprised not to have any issues.
Old Oct 29, 19, 10:31 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*G), SPG,Priority Pass
I understand at this time it's only possible to upgrade with miles. I wonder if they will ever introduce cash upgrades as well? This could be very beneficial for those who have to fly coach due to company rules. The only option at the moment is to do it at the airport during check-in.
Old Oct 30, 19, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by aircommodore View Post
I understand at this time it's only possible to upgrade with miles. I wonder if they will ever introduce cash upgrades as well? This could be very beneficial for those who have to fly coach due to company rules. The only option at the moment is to do it at the airport during check-in.
You can also do it at the sales office. I did that multiple times in the past.
Old Oct 30, 19, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by aircommodore View Post
the website shows a cash option as well, itís just not available. I think they will start pushing cash upgrades as well sometime soon.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:54 pm

However, it shouldn't be confused with the discounted paid upgrades offered at some outstations during check-in.
To clarify, the new ( potential ) website function and upgrades at sales offices via cash could only be made when paid for the actual fare difference.
Old Oct 30, 19, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
However, it shouldn't be confused with the discounted paid upgrades offered at some outstations during check-in.
To clarify, the new ( potential ) website function and upgrades at sales offices via cash could only be made when paid for the actual fare difference.
True. However, the design of the website and the app gave me the impression that TK may push some promotional upgrade offers via the app later, similar to what US-based carriers have been offering.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: