Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Turkish Airlines - Change to an earlier departure

Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles&Smiles

Hello everybody!

My partner and I are traveling to Jakarta (CGK) from Prague (PRG) via Istanbul (IST) on the 6th of September and coming back on the 21st of September.

The first flight (TK1770) departs from Prague at 19:20 and the Istanbul-Jakarta (TK56) at 02:20.
We originally booked the flight from a travel agent (Class U - Economy Promotion) and later we upgraded to business (Class J) with 45.000 miles each for the first leg to Jakarta only.

A few days ago we decided to try and change the flight PRG-IST to an earlier one - to a TK flight that departs from Prague at 14:40 on the same day so we could enjoy a few more hours at the new lounge.
We contacted TK customer support and asked them to change our ticket to the earlier flight with whatever fee associated but as they informed us, class U doesn't allow any changes and apparently upgrading to class J doesn't have any impact whatsoever.

We even proposed them to pay the full fare for the new flight and merge it with the current booking reference so they won't register the original 19:20 flight as a "no-show". Of course, they rejected that again.

My question is, did anybody of you had any similar experience in the past? Is there some other solution I haven't thought of? If there is, will it be possible to transfer the business upgrade to the new flight?

I can't really understand why Turkish isn't more cooperative as we are offering them to pay a flight on top of the already booked ones, and as we will arrive at the airport earlier, they won't have to rush our luggage.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You didn't "upgrade to class J", you booked an inflexible U class ticket and spent some miles on a Business Class seat.

The distinction is important. The fare rules for the underlying paid ticket are always those that apply.

If you skip the first flight of a ticket, all subsequent flights are cancelled. There's no such thing as merging or linking or whatever different PNRs / e-tickets.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Normally, the unwritten rules indicate that if there is another flight within the earlier 4 hours than the originally booked flight, depending on availability, the check-in agents and the airport sales office has the authorization to place the passenger to the earlier flight upon request.

As there are more than 4 hours between your PRG-IST flight and the earlier one, I'm sorry that the airport agents would also not rebook you to the earlier flight, even if there would be availability.

In your current situation, you would have an hour ( minimum ) to spend at the Business Lounge in Istanbul so that should be OK. Also, your connection is totally doable. There is no reason for TK to offer a free change to the earlier flight.
gilbertaue and antkalaitzakis like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles&Smiles
Thank you for your reply!
I have to admit I wasn't aware of this 4-hours rule and it's a pity mine is longer than 4hrs.

The weird thing is that I offered to buy the whole ticket (PRG-IST) at its full amount, I didn't ask for a free change.
Why would you refuse when a customer offers to give you more money? TA will get more money from me without any extra cost to them and I would have been a much happier customer.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Another option would be to upfare your whole ticket and then do the change for free but this would cost a bit of money and may not be done online. But, a sales office could do it easily without issues; also you could try HUACA several times the hotline as incompatible employees would say that this is not possible.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by antkalaitzakis
Thank you for your reply!
I have to admit I wasn't aware of this 4-hours rule and it's a pity mine is longer than 4hrs.

The weird thing is that I offered to buy the whole ticket (PRG-IST) at its full amount, I didn't ask for a free change.
Why would you refuse when a customer offers to give you more money? TA will get more money from me without any extra cost to them and I would have been a much happier customer.
You have a valid point, but things are what they are.

Same-day-changes, sometimes even for free, are a thing on certain US-airlines (cant think of any in the EU), however what you are facing is industry standard and not one of TKs unique peculiarities.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:31 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Same-day-changes, sometimes even for free, are a thing on certain US-airlines (can’t think of any in the EU)
BA and LH group do it providing you book the right type of ticket. EasyJet if you have Easyjet plus or a Flexi ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.