Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IST Layover suggestion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Suggestions for a 'mini-long' layover at IST...

Hi all, I really need some suggestions on a 6:50 hours layover at IST. We are traveling as 3 people with a 2 yr old toddler. Initially we were excited about the Touristanbul but realized these tours are 6 hours long. This may not be a good idea traveling w/a 2 yr old and we don't want to be running tight w/checking it for the 2nd leg of our flight. Of course we want to enjoy & explore the new lounge at IST too but 6:50 hrs may be overkill. Is there a way to shorten the Touristanbul or any other similar tours you recommend that's shorter (like 3 hours)? Does the new lounge offer that much where we can explore for 5+ hours? Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
When it comes to travel with my kids, I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. Your layover isn’t really enough to go out and do anything.

I’d set up camp near the back where the kids section is - your kid can run around there, there’s a pillows section that looks comfy and my kid loved climbing around the airplane and playing with the video screen.

There are a handful of kids play areas all over the terminal as well.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
You would have too little time available to go into Istanbul. Travel times by bus can vary, took about 30 minutes into the city departing at 22:00 but took over an hour and a half when heading back at 18:30 a week later, both to/from Taksim Square. Then you have to factor in getting the bus itself - leaves when full so you may have to wait 30 minutes. Then be back with enough time to clear security etc. - the airport is big, lines can be long.

Relax in the lounge.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
My suggestion, perhaps enough time to go to the pier at Bakirkoy (IDO) and have meal by the Marina? It's one of the shuttle buses' routes, if you're interested I'll be glad to provide additional details.

p.s. I think the timing will still be tight unless you know exactly the way around the airport and shuttle bus, plus no traffic between Bakirkoy and the airport. Nonetheless it's still an option for those with limited time.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all 3 of your replies & feedbacks! Yes, you have a good point--6:50 hours in a new big airport I'm not familiar with and traveling with a child, there are too many x-factors. Better to just play it safe and enjoy the lounge! Thanks again all!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I wouldn’t do this by myself, let alone with a little one in tow, but maybe you’re more adventurous and more capable at parenting than I am.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
Thank you for all 3 of your replies & feedbacks! Yes, you have a good point--6:50 hours in a new big airport I'm not familiar with and traveling with a child, there are too many x-factors. Better to just play it safe and enjoy the lounge! Thanks again all!
Unless your 2 year old take naps in the lounge, it's not a good idea to trap the kid there the whole time unless you are already using digital pacifier. I remember when my kids were 2 years old, they needed to be physically active and run around and explore, when we have layovers we found a quiet corner somewhere in the terminal and let them run around and explore the area. They also liked to be read to and that's what we did a lot when we were flying with them to keep them occupied. I haven't been to the new IST but I'm sure it's big enough that you can find somewhere quiet to let your kid run around.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
IST Layover suggestion

I am arriving at IST from HAM around noon and my connecting flight leaves IST at 1.30AM the next day.
My idea was taking a cab to the city, take a Holiday Inn Hotel ( around $70 ) and explore the city, having dinner and take a cab back to the airport around 11PM.
Any idea what I can do and must see ? I have never been to IST. It will be in December
Thank you
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:55 pm

The major tourist attractions would include Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace--they are in the old city, right next to each other. I would visit Hagia Sophia first as it closes at 5:00 P.M. and last entry is at 4. The others are open until at least 6:00; although Topkapi is closed on Tuesdays. The Grand Bazaar (open until 7 but closed on Sundays) and souks, within walking distance of the others, are also worth visiting and be sure to bargain with the vendors and have a Turkish coffee and baklava while you are there.
witthuus likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Hagia Sophia is closed mondays

Have a turkish coffee at Kubbe-i Aşk Cafe
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Just to clarify,

Is your layover 13 hours or 37 hours?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Just to clarify,

Is your layover 13 hours or 37 hours?
just 13 hrs
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I'm almost in the same boat except I have an overnight stopover departing first thing the next morning. I checked out the Tripadvisor Istanbul pages - plenty of suggestions for half-day walking tours but many start around 1PM so the question is whether you'd make it from the hotel to your hotel and on to the meeting place by then
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF
I'm almost in the same boat except I have an overnight stopover departing first thing the next morning. I checked out the Tripadvisor Istanbul pages - plenty of suggestions for half-day walking tours but many start around 1PM so the question is whether you'd make it from the hotel to your hotel and on to the meeting place by then
No - won't make it. My flight gets into IST at 12.10pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus / Star Alliance Gold ; AY Gold / One World Sapphire; Sixt Platinum
Not sure if you've already flown, but there are nice spots a 30 min taxi ride or so from the airport. Sariyer comes to mind, on the shores of the Bosphorus. It's very much an Istanbul experience, as you will see old Ottoman mansions, some converted to restaurants, and can relax by the side of the Bosphorus. There is also the Sadberk Hanim museum near Sariyer, which is a very cosy and modern take on your traditional history museum (not stuffy or overcrowded).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.