IST Layover suggestion

Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by WhiskeyCavalier
I have a 15 hour layover in IST on a Saturday next month.

I’ll arrive in the morning.

I have a few questions. I am star gold if it matters at all.

1) what time does the lounge open?

2) are there lockers in the lounge? Like you see with Lufthansa in Munich? Im wondering if I can stash my backpack and also change clothes and then head into the city. I’m thinking I would dump everything out of my backpack and put it in a plastic bag and then use my backpack as a daypack. I don’t want to carry 8 kg on my back.

3) I read there is a courtesy tour which starts at 9 am and goes for like 6 hours, is it worth it?

4) I read there are sleeping rooms, is that only available for people staying overnight? Or could someone like me access it as well.

5) I don’t want to pull out too much cash, what’s a decent amount just to eat and see sights? I’m not gonna buy gifts.

6) How much time should I allocate to get back to the airport. My flight is around 2100. And worse case how much is a taxi from the center to the airport? Since I won’t have a SIM card, I won’t be able to use Uber (does it work ther) to order. Unless I can get some WiFi.

Sorry for so many questions. Just want to maximize the experience. First time there.

Thanks!!!!
1- It's open 7/24

2- Yes, there are lockers in the lounge; however, after your arrival to IST, you might need to reclear security to access the lounge and put your belongings into a locker.

3- It's a nice tour, but you could see much more during that period if you travel by your own.

4- Answered your question in the respective thread. Also, a suggestion to you would be to read the WIKI of that thread. Non-TK*G's traveling in Economy is not eligible for sleeping rooms at all.

5- If you're taking the tour, ₺100 would be enough. If you're going to sightseen by yourself ₺300 ( if you prefer to travel by bus ), ₺600 ( if you prefer to travel by taxi ).

6- Arriving at the airport at 19:30 would be fine as you would have fast-track access at both security and passport checkpoints. WCS, a taxi would cost around ₺125-200 depending on where you want to visit within the city center and the traffic at that moment. Uber works in Turkey but you could only order a yellow cab; no UberX, UberXL, UberBlack, etc... in Turkey
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
1- It's open 7/24

2- Yes, there are lockers in the lounge; however, after your arrival to IST, you might need to reclear security to access the lounge and put your belongings into a locker.

3- It's a nice tour, but you could see much more during that period if you travel by your own.

4- Answered your question in the respective thread. Also, a suggestion to you would be to read the WIKI of that thread. Non-TK*G's traveling in Economy is not eligible for sleeping rooms at all.

5- If you're taking the tour, ₺100 would be enough. If you're going to sightseen by yourself ₺300 ( if you prefer to travel by bus ), ₺600 ( if you prefer to travel by taxi ).

6- Arriving at the airport at 19:30 would be fine as you would have fast-track access at both security and passport checkpoints. WCS, a taxi would cost around ₺125-200 depending on where you want to visit within the city center and the traffic at that moment. Uber works in Turkey but you could only order a yellow cab; no UberX, UberXL, UberBlack, etc... in Turkey
ISTFlyer,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

Just wanted to clarify on the lounge. If I was transiting, I should just be able to go directly to the lounge, right?

I mean, early in the morning maybe it won’t be a big deal to clear security again.

How is are the lounges? Pretty nice?

Even if I am flying economy star gold will let me fast track through security. Cool!

I am thinking you are probably right about taking the tour, I could see more on my own probably.

Once again. Thanks so much!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by WhiskeyCavalier
ISTFlyer,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

Just wanted to clarify on the lounge. If I was transiting, I should just be able to go directly to the lounge, right?

I mean, early in the morning maybe it won’t be a big deal to clear security again.

How is are the lounges? Pretty nice?

Even if I am flying economy star gold will let me fast track through security. Cool!

I am thinking you are probably right about taking the tour, I could see more on my own probably.

Once again. Thanks so much!
- You could go directly to the lounge if you have your boarding pass for your ongoing flight with you.
- Generally, transfer security in IST is efficient as DOH, waits are generally maximum of 5 minutes.
- The lounges are great, there are some reviews online that you could consult. Better than any US airline club and better than most J class lounges in Europe.
- Star Gold in TK would allow you to utilize fast track at building entrance security checkpoint, passport control and main security checkpoint ( for pax joining in IST ), transfer security and passport control when entering Turkey. I have written those points that apply for your case.
- If you need a plan in Istanbul ( what to do, where to see ), feel free to ask questions.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: TK, SQ, Swiss M&M
Hello all, I have an 8h40 layover at new IST, flying from NCE arriving at 1530 Wednesday and leaving to DXB at 0010 the same night. I'm a recently qualified TK Elite, flying TK economy (E/H).

I did this once before from the old airport and went for a nice dinner at Sunset Grill near Besiktas. I'd like to do something similar, go to a nice spot, either in Istanbul or nearby and have a nice dinner, then back to airport.

With the new airport being further away, I don't know if my idea is realistic. Any ideas? What are my options...
- Lounge it - will they put up with me for that long?
- Do I qualify for any sleeping room at a lounge as I'll be tired from visiting a conference?
Edit: I checked ISTFlyer's answer in another thread and I don't qualify as none of my flights are >8 hours.
- I looked at the airside Yotel but it's too expensive for an afternoon nap.
- Go for the dinner option - any suggestions of nice places? I'd like to find somewhere more rustic/local than the Sunset. It doesn't have to be glamorous.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Snoozeboy; Oct 16, 2019 at 10:32 am
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Snoozeboy
Hello all, I have an 8h40 layover at new IST, flying from NCE arriving at 1530 Wednesday and leaving to DXB at 0010 the same night. I'm a recently qualified TK Elite, flying TK economy (E/H).

I did this once before from the old airport and went for a nice dinner at Sunset Grill near Besiktas. I'd like to do something similar, go to a nice spot, either in Istanbul or nearby and have a nice dinner, then back to airport.

With the new airport being further away, I don't know if my idea is realistic. Any ideas? What are my options...
- Lounge it - will they put up with me for that long?
- Do I qualify for any sleeping room at a lounge as I'll be tired from visiting a conference?
Edit: I checked ISTFlyer's answer in another thread and I don't qualify as none of my flights are >8 hours.
- I looked at the airside Yotel but it's too expensive for an afternoon nap.
- Go for the dinner option - any suggestions of nice places? I'd like to find somewhere more rustic/local than the Sunset. It doesn't have to be glamorous.

Thanks in advance.
- You could access the lounge 24 hours before departure until your flight.
- Thanks for answering the second question on your own
- It's too expensive. There are free nap areas at the airport but I assume that it would be difficult to find a free one.
- Are you looking for Turkish cuisine? Do you want to take public transport or a taxi would be fine? How much would you like to spend for dinner ( 50 TL pp - 100 TL pp - 200 TL pp? )
Snoozeboy likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Wow. Great advice!

I am also contemplating a long stayover. I have a choice of either a BHX-IST-MNL leg with maybe 6 hours layover, or AMS-IST-MNL with a whopping 22 hour layover on the 4th Dec (arriving about 4am and leaving about 2am the next day as there is only one MNL flight a day). The cost is about the same (even with the BHX-AMS leg on KLM factored in and the transit visa) and I have FB Gold so there is minimal impact on luggage (I do max out the luggage allowance).

I am TK*G

My wife, incidentally, likes food so she will be suitably impressed if I should bring her back some Turkish delicacies...So with this in mind, what would you propose? Shorter journey OR a transit of Istanbul, and if so, what do you think would be a good way to go about it?

Looking forward to your suggestions
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:13 am

- You could access the lounge 24 hours before departure until your flight.
- Thanks for answering the second question on your own
- It's too expensive. There are free nap areas at the airport but I assume that it would be difficult to find a free one.
- Are you looking for Turkish cuisine? Do you want to take public transport or a taxi would be fine? How much would you like to spend for dinner ( 50 TL pp - 100 TL pp - 200 TL pp? )
taxi would be fine. Yes, would love Turkish cuisine. Happy to pay 200tl pp, but I'd prefer to go to a locals rather than tourists' place.

Thanks for the great advice.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:29 am

taxi would be fine. Yes, would love Turkish cuisine. Happy to pay 200tl pp, but I'd prefer to go to a locals rather than tourists' place.

Thanks for the great advice.
Paging ISTFlyer! 😉
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paging ISTFlyer! 😉
Would send you a PM today
Snoozeboy likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahopkins767
Wow. Great advice!

I am also contemplating a long stayover. I have a choice of either a BHX-IST-MNL leg with maybe 6 hours layover, or AMS-IST-MNL with a whopping 22 hour layover on the 4th Dec (arriving about 4am and leaving about 2am the next day as there is only one MNL flight a day). The cost is about the same (even with the BHX-AMS leg on KLM factored in and the transit visa) and I have FB Gold so there is minimal impact on luggage (I do max out the luggage allowance).

I am TK*G

My wife, incidentally, likes food so she will be suitably impressed if I should bring her back some Turkish delicacies...So with this in mind, what would you propose? Shorter journey OR a transit of Istanbul, and if so, what do you think would be a good way to go about it?

Looking forward to your suggestions
Be aware that you won't be eligible for the stopover hotel or sleeping rooms so take the 22h option only if you could stay awake or if you are OK to sleep at the sleeper-sofas at the lounge.
You could do lots of things in Istanbul at 22h. So, it's up to you.

Would send you a PM today
Sent it.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nnanlno

If you have not traveled yet, Paşabahçe ( where I suggested you to buy a tea set ) has opened its store at Istanbul Airport at the check-in level. You don't need to carry a tea set from the city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.