Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

No more physical membership card unless I travel to/via IST?

Old Jul 24, 19, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, sorry if this question has been asked before.

I have renewed my Elite status recently and I have not received the physical membership card/baggage tag. I have contacted TK via their website and was told that the only way to get the physical card is at IST airport. Is it really true?! This is quite inconvenient given that we all know some other airlines (yes I'm saying LH SK NH etc) often have difficulties recognising the TK status and a physical card is required... I'm not sure if the digital card in the app is sufficient enough..
Old Jul 24, 19, 6:52 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Unfortunately, it's true that you could only retain your physical card from the desk at Istanbul Airport.
Old Jul 25, 19, 2:09 am

Programs: Lost all status due to flying less to tackle the climate emergency
Quite a good idea to cut waste / use of plastic etc. I understand it may be annoying for some, particularly if you donít fly with TK often. Although I imagine TK are less fussed about these people. Overall quite a sensible approach - I have piles of cards I never use.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 2:12 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite+, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Unfortunately, it's true that you could only retain your physical card from the desk at Istanbul Airport.
Is that M&S service desk landside or airside?
Old Jul 25, 19, 2:17 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
If I log in to turkishairlines.com go to My Personal Details (second tab from the left) I still see an option to request a plastic card: 'send new card' below my address.

This option doesn't work? Has anyone tried?

My current card is valid till the end of August, so can be a guinea pig in September
Old Jul 25, 19, 2:51 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by cloudzocker View Post
Is that M&S service desk landside or airside?
Landside

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
If I log in to turkishairlines.com go to My Personal Details (second tab from the left) I still see an option to request a plastic card: 'send new card' below my address.

This option doesn't work? Has anyone tried?

My current card is valid till the end of August, so can be a guinea pig in September
No, TK is not sending cards at this time.
cloudzocker likes this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by AviationAddict View Post
I'm not sure if the digital card in the app is sufficient enough..
It is
Old Jul 25, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by mrblanco View Post
Quite a good idea to cut waste / use of plastic etc. I understand it may be annoying for some, particularly if you donít fly with TK often. Although I imagine TK are less fussed about these people. Overall quite a sensible approach - I have piles of cards I never use.
I understand that but my children don't have phones so that I can't load 4 Elite cards on my phone, and with our status don't show properly it's a lot better to actually have a physical card (lounge dragons like them because they can see the expiry date on the card and you can buy digital card on ebay).

Same with boarding passes - I scanned them into the lounge and somehow the reading technology is so poor that my phone has to actually touch the scanner. It's my personal phone and I'm hoping to keep it for a couple of years.

It was an ordeal to get in to LH SEN lounge with C ticket - somehow even with my status put into the system they still think I'm a regular member flying C. So I had to first show them my mobile boarding pass then my digital TK card, and then after that Mr.'s boarding pass to guest him into the SEN lounge.

Mobile/Digital card/boarding passes are great if you are travelling alone.
Old Jul 25, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ P
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
I understand that but my children don't have phones so that I can't load 4 Elite cards on my phone, ...
Take screenshots of the other digital cards and youíll be fine.
Old Jul 25, 19, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by flyerby View Post
Take screenshots of the other digital cards and youíll be fine.
Then I'll have to open it 4 times just to get everyone into the lounge, will have to experience that in October - my phone already got several scratches from the beeping. Do you think print out of the digital card would work?
Old Jul 25, 19, 8:25 am

Then I'll have to open it 4 times just to get everyone into the lounge, will have to experience that in October - my phone already got several scratches from the beeping. Do you think print out of the digital card would work?
Unless you are trying to do use cross-benefits ( crediting miles to another FFP while using TK*G for lounge access ) you should be fine. *G on the boarding pass was never an issue these days regardless of Star Alliance partner.

It's true that Lufthi asked for physical cards ( for TK*G pax ) just to be snappish but it's not the case anymore.
Old Jul 25, 19, 9:50 am

Unless you are trying to do use cross-benefits ( crediting miles to another FFP while using TK*G for lounge access ) you should be fine. *G on the boarding pass was never an issue these days regardless of Star Alliance partner.

It's true that Lufthi asked for physical cards ( for TK*G pax ) just to be snappish but it's not the case anymore.
Not exactly the case, but it did happen when the status somehow doesn't post properly with other *G carriers. This happened to my LH and CA flights recently, put in my TK *G and only showed TK number without status. I have met enough lounge dragon looked very suspiciously when I'm with my kids and we all have *G status and it's a lot easier to show them the cards than having to open 4 screenshots.

SK also has trouble recognizing my *G status in their booking system.
Old Jul 25, 19, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Not exactly the case, but it did happen when the status somehow doesn't post properly with other *G carriers. This happened to my LH and CA flights recently, put in my TK *G and only showed TK number without status. I have met enough lounge dragon looked very suspiciously when I'm with my kids and we all have *G status and it's a lot easier to show them the cards than having to open 4 screenshots.

SK also has trouble recognizing my *G status in their booking system.

Yes I agree - if the system can recognise my status it's not a big problem. However, for multiple times I have been on LH or SK, the boarding pass just mentioned TK*P instead of TK*G and the lounge agent (especially for contract lounge) asked specifically for the physical membership card...
Old Jul 26, 19, 10:00 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
Can someone pick up also their spouse card or only their own?

Annoying anyway.
Old Jul 26, 19, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
Can someone pick up also their spouse card or only their own?

Annoying anyway.
You could only pick up your own card from the respective desk.
One of the following for Turkish Citizens: (ID, drivers license or passport), a valid passport for foreign citizens, should be presented to the desk to claim your card.
The ID/Passport number must match the number in your Miles&Smiles profile.
Lefly likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: