Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turkish hosed me

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mecabq
Isn't it at least partially a problem of Turkish's making because they allowed AV to issue this ticket? Shouldn't they have a system to prevent anyone (travel agent, other airline) from purchasing this itinerary? Surely they ration inventory on flights they operate and are sold by others, so shouldn't they do the same on this itinerary, i.e., make zero seats available?
When AV booked this segment in Amadeus, it would have displayed a warning that this flight can only be booked if connecting to/from an international flight. It is the ticketing agent/carrier's responsibility to ensure that warning is not ignored.

TK could zero out inventory on the flight, but that would harm other customers - e.g. customers flying MLE-CMB and stopping over for a few days before continuing CMB-IST, or customers flying MLE-CMB connecting to AI CMB-DEL.

Originally Posted by weero
You may well be right but that is highly immaterial. When you buy a ticket on short notice and Mastercard hasn't paid TK yet, TK still owes you a ride.
That is not an analogous situation - Mastercard may not have paid TK yet, but they have a contractual obligation to pay TK.

In this case, AV has no obligation to pay TK unless TK flies the passenger (which in this case, it didn't have the legal right to do), so it's hard to argue that TK owes the customer anything.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Isn't it at least partially a problem of Turkish's making because they allowed AV to issue this ticket? Shouldn't they have a system to prevent anyone (travel agent, other airline) from purchasing this itinerary? Surely they ration inventory on flights they operate and are sold by others, so shouldn't they do the same on this itinerary, i.e., make zero seats available?
It’s not TK’s fault because this can be part of a larger itinerary making it a valid routing. The rules of ticket are clearly there. AV chose to ignore it due to some level of incompetence.

If it was that no one should book that itinerary then TK would have zeroed it out.

For this to have been TK’s fault, TK would have to be ale to pull out the reservation from AV’s system analyze it, look at all the other potential connections and make sure that they don’t have fare rules that make the MLE-CMB route invalid and then send a response back to AV’s systems. Including accessing information from any AV’s partnerships with non*A and indeed non IATA airlines...That level of interoperability doesn’t exist in the world.

I’m not sure TK would even know what itinerary was being booked/built by AV at the time of AV requesting the MLE - CMB leg or subsequent to AV requesting that leg.

TK could have only noticed there was a problem when OP was selecting seats. For them to reroute OP would also been in some ways admission that this was their fault.

And finally if fare rules can be ignored and marketing carriers can do their own thing and then blame the operating carrier then every TA/OTA will be selling $1000 EY suites and then expecting the operating carrier to still honour that ticket because the fare rules didn’t matter.

nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Los_Pepes
When we got to Male today a Turkish rep greeted us and said that they would not honor the tickets because they don’t fly passengers on that route. ...
OP, there’s something I don’t quite understand in your description:
1. Where exactly did the TK rep meet you at MLE?
2. How (airline, award/revenue ticket, issued by, etc.) and when (how many days before TK’s MLE-CMB flight) exactly did you arrive at MLE?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerby

OP, there’s something I don’t quite understand in your description:
1. Where exactly did the TK rep meet you at MLE?
2. How (airline, award/revenue ticket, issued by, etc.) and when (how many days before TK’s MLE-CMB flight) exactly did you arrive at MLE?
I was met post security at an information office I went to after not being able to find an open TK desk. I arrived in Male that day on a seaplane from a resort.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
TK could zero out inventory on the flight, but that would harm other customers - e.g. customers flying MLE-CMB and stopping over for a few days before continuing CMB-IST, or customers flying MLE-CMB connecting to AI CMB-DEL.
Good point. I guess there is no possible system logic that the TK system could provide to ensure compliance.

Would they be allowed to sell your second example -- MLE-CMB stand-alone with the customer continuing on another airline? Would a workaround be to buy such a flight as AI CMB-DEL with a refundable ticket and then cancel it after arriving (perhaps after producing it for the TK rep)?

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
I’m not sure TK would even know what itinerary was being booked/built by AV at the time of AV requesting the MLE - CMB leg or subsequent to AV requesting that leg.
Same question: do the rules/laws governing a segment like this allow TK to serve MLE-CMB in the event that the traveler is continuing on a different airline? And/or on TK itself three months later? I suppose TK could push some logic that requires the passenger to combine this trip with CMB-IST on TK on the same ticket if that is what would be necessary to make it valid.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

Same question: do the rules/laws governing a segment like this allow TK to serve MLE-CMB in the event that the traveler is continuing on a different airline? And/or on TK itself three months later? I suppose TK could push some logic that requires the passenger to combine this trip with CMB-IST on TK on the same ticket if that is what would be necessary to make it valid.
TK has all this logic built for tickets issued on its fares/stock. You cannot buy a MLE-CMB one-way on its website, for example.

However, in this case, AV issued the ticket based on a fare that AV filed and on AV ticket stock. TK has no control over the logic that AV uses - it can only provide warnings on the flight segment level.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
The fare rule apparently says “INTL ONLINE CONNECTING OR STOPOVR TRAFFIC ONLY“.

I think it has to be a TK coded including code-shares (more knowledgeable people can confirm) and can be 3 months later as the rule allows stopover traffic.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:35 pm

Would they be allowed to sell your second example -- MLE-CMB stand-alone with the customer continuing on another airline? Would a workaround be to buy such a flight as AI CMB-DEL with a refundable ticket and then cancel it after arriving (perhaps after producing it for the TK rep)?
Has to be a TK coded flight and probably has to be on the same PNR. So the only thing OP could have done was adding a CMB-DEL segment and then skip-lagging in CMB.

But to do that since this is an award ticket so OP would have to get AV to add the segment provided it was available, OP had enough miles in his account if additional miles were required and had hand bags only so he could skip lag.

I’m not sure if the INTL connections applies either to prior to MLE and post CMB or only prior to MLE.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jun 23, 2019 at 2:59 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

The fare rule apparently says “INTL ONLINE CONNECTING OR STOPOVR TRAFFIC ONLY“.

I think it has to be a TK coded including code-shares (more knowledgeable people can confirm) and can be 3 months later as the rule allows stopover traffic.
Correction:
  • The fare here says nothing about the flight. The fare is whatever fare AV constructed for an award ticket.
  • The flight rule (totally disconnected from fares) says that it has to be online connecting or stopover traffic.

Online means that you have to continue on a TK-marketed flight. This is not something unique to TK. For example an AF-coded DL-flight within USA will likely have the exact same rule (that it can only be booked in conjunction with another AF-flight).
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:53 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Long story short:

- AV should not sell this itinerary as warning is visible in GDS'es, TK cannot just zero out these flights as they have legal right to sell stopover traffic like IST-TK-MLE (stopover) -TK-CMB
- TK could have handled the situation better, but it is TK, so... (but honestly - would any other airline do anything for the OP in this situation? - TK has no legal right to transport point-to-point passengers, if they FIM OP to fly on another airline, would they even recover the money from AV?)
- TK will blame AV, AV will blame TK, so I hope OP has good insurance policy...
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by Los_Pepes
I will keep the board posted as to what happens.
So what was the final outcome of this Los_Pepes ?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Gnopps
So what was the final outcome of this Los_Pepes ?
Why are you resurrecting a 3yr old thread?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
lol...when this just popped up I started reading...and my brain said 'hey, I remember this"...then I see I posted in it.

I wonder what DID happen. Even 3 years later.

Old Jul 12, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
TK does not have the rights to carry passengers from MLE to CMB ( vice-versa ) so it's the problem of who issued the ticket.
Exactly! This IST-MLE-CMB is a 5th freedom flight under the Convention on International Civil Aviation
Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Why are you resurrecting a 3yr old thread?
Isn't it obvious from my question? I happened to come by this thread and am curious what the final outcome for the OP was as we had a long discussion here on whose fault it was and what might happen.
Exec_Plat, TPJ and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.