Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

United not offering any seats in TK so how to get it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United not offering any seats in TK so how to get it?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 5:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by misterno
So I wanted to create an alert for TK 33 from IST to IAH on 8/13/2019

But expertflyer shows error saying

Turkish Airlines Seat Maps are only available within 100 days of departure.

It does not make sense. It is less than 100 days now
Your screenshot indicates that you tried to search from the old Ataturk Airport (now ISL) not the current Istanbul Airport (IST). TK isn't flying from Ataturk anymore, so a search won't show any flights.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

unbelievable

flight IAH-ADB
United charges 30K miles for one way and $8 tax and 2 luggage +1 carry on

Same flight TK charges 45K miles for one way $150 tax and only 1 luggage

what the hell is going on here?

same flight same airplane same seat everything same
Old May 20, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
unbelievable

flight IAH-ADB

Then book with United. Indeed with Miles&Smiles, it's possible to book EWR-HNL on UA for 15.000 miles r/t in Economy and 25.000 miles r/t in Domestic First.
Btw, if you book via TK, you would still have 2 checked bags + 1 carry-on + 1 personal item in Economy Class.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Then book with United. Indeed with Miles&Smiles, it's possible to book EWR-HNL on UA for 15.000 miles r/t in Economy and 25.000 miles r/t in Domestic First.
Btw, if you book via TK, you would still have 2 checked bags + 1 carry-on + 1 personal item in Economy Class.
TK does not give those seats to UA that is why I am trying to book from TK

Also, see below for TK 1 bag allowance
If you buy with money then it gives you 2 bag allowance

Old May 21, 2019, 12:13 am

TK does not give those seats to UA that is why I am trying to book from TK

Also, see below for TK 1 bag allowance
If you buy with money then it gives you 2 bag allowance

then how do you see the 30k rate that you mentioned?
Old May 21, 2019, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Luggage policy guidance is almost always a glitch. It doesn't matter where or how you book the ticket (miles, cash, codeshare, OTA, etc.), because the operating carrier's policy will apply on the day.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:45 am

unbelievable

flight IAH-ADB

Lets be clear. Booking that flight with UA miles through the UA website = 30k miles/$8....and booking through the TK website with TK miles = 45k/$150? Is that correct? Why the difference? Its simple really...Because they are different FF programs..... Why do you think UA miles and TK miles are worth the same and charged the same?
Old May 21, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
You can ignore what ever United tells you about luggage if United is not the operating carrier. United luggage calculator displays everything as if it was a United flight, which clearly it is not.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by max_kolesne

then how do you see the 30k rate that you mentioned?
i saw it before now it is all gone

It is always 30k i have been buying for years
Old May 21, 2019, 7:23 am

i saw it before now it is all gone

It is always 30k i have been buying for years

It is 30k when there is availability. If there is no availability, then United is not actually offering the route you want to fly on the date you want to choose for 30k miles.
Beltway2A and ISTFlyer like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
United availability depends on the saver award availability on Miles&Smiles. If there is Economy saver availability, you could still book that ticket for 30.000 miles one way on Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:47 am

Award availability is similar to revenue fare pricing. You can find ~$600 round trip flights from Istanbul to the US. However, when prices are higher, they are simply higher. We may either travel on the higher price date by paying more, or we can try to find another date with the lower price. Now, it is very similar with award tickets. You can find 30k miles tickets for some days. But for others, you cannot. When you cannot, you can either pay the higher miles (45k) or you can wait for another day. Alternatively, you can waitlist yourself for a 30k award ticket.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Also, United is one of the rare carriers that doesn't surcharge for all of the taxes on award tickets. All European carriers charge for all of the taxes when purchasing an award ticket.
I don't think that is true.
Could you please provide me one specific example where UA has to pay a tax to a government body, but is intentionally not collecting it from its passengers?
My experience is that UA is collecting all the taxes - as do the European carriers.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn
Could you please provide me one specific example where UA has to pay a tax to a government body, but is intentionally not collecting it from its passengers?
My experience is that UA is collecting all the taxes - as do the European carriers.
The OP's case is an example. Airport surcharge for IST is €20 per visit ( including transfer passengers ). Obviously, all the taxes would be more than $6 in this case.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
The OP confuses "taxes" with "junk fees" (also known as fuel surcharges). United collects all the taxes but none of the "junk fees". Most European carriers have those "junk fees" built into the award redemption (but not all). Therefore you will see the real cost of the taxes on United redemption, but the same redemption on LH for example will cost hundreds more in "junk fee". Interestingly enough TK charge "junk fees" on its own metal, but if the airline of redemption does not charge them, they will not charge them either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.