Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight delayed 5 hours

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Flight delayed 5 hours

Hi,
Does anyone here know the Turkish laws for flight delay compensation?
Its hard to find anything online other than the EU regulations and I'm not sure that they apply.
I flew BHX-IST-BKK return. The IST-BKK sector was delayed 4 and and half hours for departure time and 5 and a half hours for arrival time.
My ticket is a BHX-BKK return..
Thanks in advance,
Alison
Old May 4, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Alisonnoonan
Hi,
Its hard to find anything online other than the EU regulations and I'm not sure that they apply.
I flew BHX-IST-BKK return. The IST-BKK sector was delayed 4 and and half hours for departure time and 5 and a half hours for arrival time.
Thanks in advance,
Alison
As you have originated in the EU, you would be eligible for EU261/2004. In addition to that, TK has the responsibility to provide meal vouchers for you at Istanbul Airport according to SHGM ( Turkish Directorate of Civil Aviation ) rules. Fill out a feedback form via the TK website requesting your €600 EU261/2004 compensation.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Alisonnoonan
Hi,
Thanks in advance,
Alison
Reason for delay? Weather or ATC?
Alisonnoonan likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help! I will do that.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Meals weren't an issue, I had free lounge access as a frequent flier.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cagcag
Reason for delay? Weather or ATC?
They didn't announce that. The board said leaving at 6am instead of 1:30am. I didn't ask since I was in the lounge.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As you have originated in the EU, you would be eligible for EU261/2004. In addition to that, TK has the responsibility to provide meal vouchers for you at Istanbul Airport according to SHGM ( Turkish Directorate of Civil Aviation ) rules. Fill out a feedback form via the TK website requesting your €600 EU261/2004 compensation.
Thanks for your help. Meals weren't an issue since I had lounge access, but its helpful to know I am covered by the EU laws. I didn't think to ask the reason for the delay. I assume that must be on record though. I need to visit my local Turkish office tomorrow morning to book some other flights so I will ask there.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Looks like TK68 (IST-BKK) is regularly significantly delayed recently.
I checked on Flightradar and today's flight departed 7+ hours late. On other days, delays are between 1-7 hrs...

Also the flights to KUL and PVG were very late today.
Would be interesting to know why...
Old May 5, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: HH Gold, TK Elite+
I had the same issue with TK 68 on 3 May. 3 hour delay I heard 3 different reason. Aircraft change, missing a captain and operational issues due to the new Airport. I had a recent flight in February TK 16 GRU-IST 12 hour delay. TK will deny compensation through the online feedback. I had to have my local sales office get me the 600 Euro voucher, and probably will have to go through the same process with TK 68
Old May 5, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by northwestair
I had the same issue with TK 68 on 3 May. 3 hour delay I heard 3 different reason. Aircraft change, missing a captain and operational issues due to the new Airport.
The reasons that you have stated for the delay are not acceptable excuses for TK to avoid EU261/2004. You have the right to claim €600 cash for this situation if you have originated your trip in the EU. If not originated in the EU, ask for the SHGM compensation.

You have the right to have cash in Euros, you could reject being handed a voucher.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I'm seeing chronic/frequent delays lately between IST and Europe which significantly affect their connecting operations.

My flight tonight is scheduled 7pm (TK1856) and the incoming flight is delayed by 1hr20min.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northwestair
I had the same issue with TK 68 on 3 May. 3 hour delay I heard 3 different reason. Aircraft change, missing a captain and operational issues due to the new Airport. I had a recent flight in February TK 16 GRU-IST 12 hour delay. TK will deny compensation through the online feedback. I had to have my local sales office get me the 600 Euro voucher, and probably will have to go through the same process with TK 68
I filled in the online feedback, but thanks for the advice. Now I know what to do when I reach home!
Old May 5, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold
What happens if you're returning to Europe on a flight that was originally open-jaw and which originated and is returning to Europe? Namely, ATH-BKK. KUL-ATH. If the KUL-ATH segment is late, will there be eligibility. I just saw on the boards that there is a 4-5 hour delayed departure of this flight leaving IST tonight and I'm prepping myself for the fallout of this on tomorrow's flight KUL-ATH.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:40 pm

Be prepared for a possible long period of time before you get your compensation according to EU 261/2004 from TK. I learned my lessons
FRA-IST-BKK on TK 04JUL18: first leg was 30 minutes delayed, long enough to miss our BKK flight (gate for BKK strictly closed 20 Minutes prior to departure, no more staff around at the gate and a rigid standard procedure we were told at the transfer desk).
I filed my claim from the beginning on through a lawyer whereas my travelmate did so via a relevant internet platform (Fairplane).
TK-behavior was like this: never answered any letters from the lawyer, never keeping a given deadline whatsoever, zero communication.
Once the case was taken to court they suddenly acknowledged the matter (in German: they accepted a "Anerkennunsurteil", don´t know the term in English, sorry). This happened for me and my travel companions case. Alltogether it took 8 months and 14 days to receive the compensation, plus interest, and they had to pay for the costs of the court, etc.
Interestlingly they never took a counter position (like saying that its not their fault or so). Just zero communication until the court came into the game.
So I´d like to encourage you not to give up! There are EU-rules which are valid also for TK.

Last edited by hanpe; May 5, 2019 at 12:53 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Looks like TK68 (IST-BKK) is regularly significantly delayed recently.
I checked on Flightradar and today's flight departed 7+ hours late. On other days, delays are between 1-7 hrs...

Also the flights to KUL and PVG were very late today.
Would be interesting to know why...
I'm in Bangkok airport and I just asked the staff. She said it is aircraft availability issues. Looks like I'm in for 600Euros which is about what I paid for my flight. I feel bad for them. I even used an Elite Plus voucher for a free upgrade. If the trip ends up being free it will be hard not to write a smug blog about flying business class for free.
ElJudioErrante likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.