Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Turkish Airlines 787-9 First Scheduled Flight: DO ( July 2019 )

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 30, 19, 8:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Wiki Link
DO/Meet-Up Cancelled due to Last Minute Aircraft Change
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 17, 19, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy

The DO has been cancelled due to a last minute aircraft change on the first scheduled flight. Now, the flights below would be operated with an Airbus A330-300 with Recliner J seats. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dear folks, it has been an honor to offer you to join me and fellow FT members on this occasion to present you the opportunity to try the Boeing 787-9 of Turkish Airlines on its first flight. The first flight of the 787-9 was scheduled to be operated to Bali, which I wasn't able to afford that high-prices for the first flight; however, now 787-9 is filed for the AYT route starting from 08JUL and I have a confirmed booking for TK2410/TK2439TK2421 in J to try this aircraft before everyone else. Members who want to fly J on one-way and Y on the other way, or who prefer to fly Y all the way are also welcome to join. Also during the 12h15min9h30min between flights, I would suggest us 'members' to do something together in Antalya ( cultural visit around, daily beach tour, etc... ) which could be determined later after I have an estimate of people joining the DO. The first flight in scheduled for a Monday, so there may be less people than expected.

I would also welcome non-FT members and I would organize this DO if 4 or more people join. As far as you know, the TK Miles&Smiles forum is not crowded as some others however, I would be on those specific flights if we're under 4 people, however, ( As 22 June 2019 ) it won't be a complete DO with no events scheduled except lounge and flight meet-up. Also, members intending for a return on a different flight or intending to stay longer in Antalya and not return to Istanbul on the specific date are welcome as well.

Please read this:

Please book a refundable trip until you see a CONFIRMED sign here in the first post or in the WIKI as the first flight for the 787-9 could change at any time. It would be useful to reschedule the DO unless TK changes the aircraft type to another aircraft than 787-9. If another aircraft is filed for this trip until 17 June 2019 ( three weeks before the intended date ) the DO would be postponed to the date of the first domestic service of 787-9. After 18 June 2019, I won't change the date for the DO unless %90 of the joined members decide all to agree to the change the date to a proposed date. I am not planning to move this DO to a weekend unless the date of the first 787-9 flight would change, however, I would be happy to organize a similar DO on a weekend if there is enough demand.

All TK domestic Business Class fares are allowed for unlimited date changes without a change fee. All tickets are refundable for a penalty low as €10 per way. Only the fare difference would be asked if there is no availability on the fare class that you have originally booked.

Me ( ISTFlyer ) cannot be held responsible for any changes in the schedule of TK and everyone intending to join this DO understands that TK has the right change the aircraft type without any compensation until 1 hour before the flight time. Let me remind that the main purpose of this DO is to try the TK Boeing 787-9.

DO Status: CANCELLED

So my intended plan is like this;
Changes had made on June 4, 2019. See post #20 for more details

Morning: Meet-up at the TK domestic Lounge in a dedicated time ( Pax flying in Y could be guested by ELIT, ELPL or *G members traveling solo )
08:35 TK 2410 Istanbul Airport ( IST ) to Antalya ( AYT ) - Business Class ( 787-9 )
Day: Activity in Antalya province ( Depending on the number of people who intend to join ) Will not be organized as not enough members have reached me.
19:45 TK 2421 Antalya ( AYT ) to Istanbul Airport ( IST ) - Business Class ( 787-9 )
After arrival to IST: End of DO or an event in Istanbul the next day Will not be organized as not enough members have reached me.

The current prices for flights above are around: (r/t): Update as 22 Jun 2019,
INBOUND FLIGHT: Business Class fully booked. Economy only available at Full-Fare
OUTBOUND FLIGHT: Both Business and Economy Class available

For further questions please don't hesitate to ask in this specific thread or write a private message via FlyerTalk. I would be happy to answer them.

I have posted this here ( TK Miles&Smiles forum ) as the DO is directly related to this forum. This thread is also accessible via the designated CommunityBuzz page for this DO.

I would create a WIKI that would contain essential information about the DO in the near future.

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Jun 30, 19 at 12:16 pm Reason: Stated
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:35 am

I would really like to join you - sounds awesome!
unfortunately, Iím away in the US Jul 1-18
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 1:20 pm

Programs: TK Elite
I didnt book my tickets yet, but Im planing to fly back from AYT on 7th of July.

If I have the opportunity, I will let you know.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 1:26 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Would love to be part of this, but am landing at IST on July 9th on TK10 on a ticket I canít (cheaply) change. If any of you are still around that day, Iíd be happy to meet up.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by PerStockholm View Post
I would really like to join you - sounds awesome!
unfortunately, Iím away in the US Jul 1-18
Have a fun time at the US. Hope to see you in the next event.

Originally Posted by axxoo25 View Post
I didnt book my tickets yet, but Im planing to fly back from AYT on 7th of July.

If I have the opportunity, I will let you know.
Great

Originally Posted by gr8pirate View Post
Would love to be part of this, but am landing at IST on July 9th on TK10 on a ticket I canít (cheaply) change. If any of you are still around that day, Iíd be happy to meet up.
I am based at IST but not at IST %80 of the year but I'll be around at IST those days.
Old Apr 17, 19, 1:42 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
I am based at IST but not at IST %80 of the year but I'll be around at IST those days.
sent you a PM
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you talked with TK about them doing something formal for this?
Old Apr 19, 19, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hfly View Post
Have you talked with TK about them doing something formal for this?
No because obviously they won't guarantee that this would be the first Boeing 787-9 flight. However, it's the first scheduled flight of the TK 787-9 for now. The situation could be similar to TK2154 on 29OCT18 where people have booked months ago because it would be the first flight scheduled from Istanbul Airport. That's why I've decided to organize this event by myself without any sponsorship and without exterior support from non-joining people.
I have no information if there would be any event before this flight related to the first scheduled flight of the Boeing 787-9. Maybe there would be a symbolic flight closed to public. Who knows?
Also there are rumors that TK would receive it's first 787-9 during early or mid June which could led to a change of the date of the first scheduled flight.

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Apr 19, 19 at 7:17 pm Reason: Clarifying sentence
Old Apr 22, 19, 6:36 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Platinum
This is a great idea!! I may join you indeed.

I wonder what they're planning to do with 787 being parked at AYT for more than 12 hours...
Old Apr 22, 19, 7:12 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by flyjfk View Post

I wonder what they're planning to do with 787 being parked at AYT for more than 12 hours...
Thats what Im exactly asking myself. It doesnt make sense for me at all.

Usually the widebodies of TK arrive ex-asia in the morning between 4-6am. Then, the make an domestic outbound and after that they fly in western direction.

TK is operating the 789 on DPS, MEX, ATL, IAD, BOG and MIA - all of those flights leave istanbul at afternoon, just the BOG flight is leaving in the night.

But TK could use the 789 during these 12 h.
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Usually the widebodies of TK arrive ex-asia in the morning between 4-6am. Then, the make an domestic outbound and after that they fly in western direction.

TK is operating the 789 on DPS, MEX, ATL, IAD, BOG and MIA - all of those flights leave istanbul at afternoon, just the BOG flight is leaving in the night.

They operate 2 daily IST-AYT and 2 daily AYT-IST flights. So the aircraft has two IST-AYT-IST rotations, one in the morning ( TK2410/TK2411 ) and one in the evening ( TK2438/TK2439 ). As it wouldn't be attractive to make a same flight return, the DO is planned with the earlier flight from IST and the later flight from AYT.
Old Apr 22, 19, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold

You are right about the usual pattern for TK widebodies. But the DPS flight matches that pattern: Leaves Istanbul at 1am, arrives back in Istanbul at 5am. The MEX flight leaves at 9pm and gets back into Istanbul at 6am - so could take another Ąwesterlyď direction then.
axxoo25 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 1:15 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite+
Would love to join, but that would mean two hotel stays from Sun to Mon and from Mon to Tue.
Would not qualify for a TK Lounge Suite. Looking forward to your flight report and photos! ;-)
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 19, 12:54 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Platinum
Iíve just booked this flight! Hopefully this is indeed operated by 787, even if itís not the first flight

I feel like they should do the first flight to ESB
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 19, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Iíve just booked this flight! Hopefully this is indeed operated by 787, even if itís not the first flight

I feel like they should do the first flight to ESB
Great, hope to see you there. You should be the one booked on seat 1K for the specific flight.

Search this Thread