Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Million mile/lifetime status maybe about to finally happen?

Million mile/lifetime status maybe about to finally happen?

Old Nov 14, 19, 7:18 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Other questions that come to mind;

Would it be "1 million status miles" or "1 million status miles earned solely on TK"?
Also, would they count status miles multipliers ( promos such as x2, x3, x5 status miles ) when calculating the lifetime miles?
Old Nov 14, 19, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Most serious airlines, especially when looking retrospectively, would not make a differentiation between one airline and another historically for MM purposes. They would make a difference between status and bind miles, but ultimately that would be down to how they were coded at the time. That being said, I think that you are essentially talking about 2 or 3 promos in the history of TK, including one that just recently finished (and which no one has seen the results of yet) so theoretically should be easy to filter out. As I have maybe benefited only perhaps one from such a promo, it makes no difference to me in reality.
Old Nov 14, 19, 10:32 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Other questions that come to mind;

Would it be "1 million status miles" or "1 million status miles earned solely on TK"?
Also, would they count status miles multipliers ( promos such as x2, x3, x5 status miles ) when calculating the lifetime miles?
Looks like most airlines with million miler tiers only count their own or Ďclose groupí miles. Weird exception is DL, they even count credit card miles...

CN have a one/two million km tier, but all within the Phoenix group.
Old Nov 15, 19, 12:17 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
I sincerely hope that TK launches a lifetime program, but, as so many of the posters have had already posted there are many many things to consider:

1. Will TK count the miles only on their metal / close partners such as AnadoluJet or will it be for all *A partners?
2. Will it be only BIS miles or will the 1.5x,2x,3x etc. status and premium cabin multipliers count toward the lifetime program?
3. What will be the first threshold level for the lifetime program?
4. What lifetime status will be bestowed upon the member on crossing the FIRST threshold - will it be lifetime Classic Plus (*S) or Elite (*G)? I really hope lifetime Elite Plus is the SECOND (or maybe THIRD) threshold in the program!
5. What are the other associated benefits / perks / gifts does this lifetime program come with, besides the annual status?
Old Nov 15, 19, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gr8, yes and no. Flying Blue counted all partner airline and alliance flights until very recently - i.e. the introduction of UXP's which was in the last 20 months or so. United and American also counted a far greater amount of partner airlines until just a few minutes ago (and for that matter until not that long ago AA even counted your Credit card earned miles and pretty much everything else.) BA counts the miles that you have taken on almost any other airline, but has pretty much had the caveat for many years that one must fly at least 4 BA segments per year to maintain status. As you say, DL counts them, but keep in mind thatstarting about 4 years ago, Delta has severely curtailed the ability to earn status miles on many partners including ST partners. So while you earn status points on AF/KL/VS at the same rate as Delta, on other carriers you earn half the amount or less, and on yet others, you earn NONE. SQ has always been SQ, and has been extremely restrictive. Asiana counts all miles BUT you have to also have 1000 flights with Asiana (they are 100000 miles AND 1000 flights). I believe that VS allows Delta and FB miles to count. So it is not all that cut and dry.

Avid, I do not think that there would be any tiers in this, I think it would be Elite for a million and no EP, so that it gives people a reason to keep flying. But also be careful what you wish for as the introduction of such a MM program could also come with the increase in levels to earn status, and perhaps the shortening of their year to each year, much like LH. You think that if they are going to react to this competition, they are not going to follow/copy the competition?
Old Nov 15, 19, 6:04 am

Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
Asiana counts all miles BUT you have to also have 1000 flights with Asiana (they are 100000 miles AND 1000 flights)
Not correct. OZ Platinum for life (*A Gold) requires 1000000 miles with any *A airline OR 1000 OZ segments, DIamond Plus for life(*A Gold) requires 500000 miles with any *A airline OR 500 OZ segments.
Old Nov 15, 19, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, I stand corrected on that one then.
Old Nov 15, 19, 5:29 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
You think that if they are going to react to this competition, they are not going to follow/copy the competition?
Not necessarily.

They did kind of follow LH back in 2014, when the MS program last changed, away from 100% miles for any ticket. The old thread about that makes for some fun reading five years on.

Fortunately TK didnít emulate LHís 2018 push towards a completely revenue-based program. Iím kind of relieved LH is taking a step away from the status-by-revenue road US carriers seem to be on, letís hope TK donít go further down that path than different earning percentages for varying booking classes.

Last edited by gr8pirate; Nov 15, 19 at 10:08 pm
Old Nov 16, 19, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That is true, however if one looks at the trends in the industry, one can see that the is more than one way to make something "revenue based", also the is a huge difference between what US carriers can get away with, and what European values can try and get away with.

In any case, other news is that EY has just announced that their miles no longer expire as long as there is activity on an account, which is interesting as one of the internal excuses that TK had for not allowing such a thing, for Elites, was that the ME3 all had hard expirations of miles (convenient to compare yourself to European carriers when you need to, and then ME3 caskets when you need to!). So I would expect that if EK goes that way that you will see TK do something similar.

So now they have two reasons to change aspects of the program,......
Old Nov 16, 19, 3:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Something might be going on. Last year App was showing something like 1.5 mio lifetime miles. Now some magic has happened and I am down to 450k
Old Nov 16, 19, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes they have seemingly recently tweaked the "status miles", to be the exact same as "bonus" miles, and seemingly have done them all calculated as "Y", rather than Biz classes, as well as some other tweaks............and by recently, I mean in the last week or so.
Old Nov 16, 19, 6:25 am

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
It might be simpler if THY merely used a set number of years of E+ membership to award lifetime status - for example, 10, 15 or 20 years. Flying Blue used to award lifetime E+ to those who had held Platinum status for 10 consecutive years. To maximise revenue, lifetime status could be awarded only after age 60 or 65. Have these options been considered by THY or has only a mileage threshold been discussed?
Old Nov 16, 19, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After 60 or 65 is quite frankly a bad idea, what LH had unofficially and which they have just jettisoned. They are looking at Elite, solely, and is why many progra ms do not offer their highest status as lifetime, that is the carrot to keep flying.
Old Apr 20, 20, 5:24 pm

Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
Gr8, yes and no. Flying Blue counted all partner airline and alliance flights until very recently - i.e. the introduction of UXP's which was in the last 20 months or so. United and American also counted a far greater amount of partner airlines until just a few minutes ago (and for that matter until not that long ago AA even counted your Credit card earned miles and pretty much everything else.) BA counts the miles that you have taken on almost any other airline, but has pretty much had the caveat for many years that one must fly at least 4 BA segments per year to maintain status. As you say, DL counts them, but keep in mind thatstarting about 4 years ago, Delta has severely curtailed the ability to earn status miles on many partners including ST partners. So while you earn status points on AF/KL/VS at the same rate as Delta, on other carriers you earn half the amount or less, and on yet others, you earn NONE. SQ has always been SQ, and has been extremely restrictive. Asiana counts all miles BUT you have to also have 1000 flights with Asiana (they are 100000 miles AND 1000 flights). I believe that VS allows Delta and FB miles to count. So it is not all that cut and dry.

Avid, I do not think that there would be any tiers in this, I think it would be Elite for a million and no EP, so that it gives people a reason to keep flying. But also be careful what you wish for as the introduction of such a MM program could also come with the increase in levels to earn status, and perhaps the shortening of their year to each year, much like LH. You think that if they are going to react to this competition, they are not going to follow/copy the competition?
I think it was UA that only counted BiS and only on their metal after the CO/UA merger. I think I read that AA use to have a requirement for flying a certain amount of segments on their metal to qualify, but now no longer, but they only offer LT Platinum, which gives OWS.

VS might not survive post-COVID19 so I don't know if I would even want to credit my flights to their program. Really interesting to see what TK is going to do for their LT program.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: