Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
In addition, this video would be helpful for your case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ-b2Zb5UlU
Thanks! Just a question, where do you think I should go to Burger King most efficiently during my transfer?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Thanks! Just a question, where do you think I should go to Burger King most efficiently during my transfer?
Why Burger King at IST?!
but as far as efficiency, there’s no way to tell because you don’t know your arrival or departure gates. Get the IST airport app, it says there are six locations, most of which are airside.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
You won't be let into the international airside ones during your int-dom transfer so the best one for you would be the one inside the Domestic Food Court located after Domestic Transfer Security.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Why Burger King at IST?!
but as far as efficiency, there’s no way to tell because you don’t know your arrival or departure gates. Get the IST airport app, it says there are six locations, most of which are airside.
I love Burger King in Turkey and there is no Priority Pass lounge yet!
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:22 pm

I love Burger King in Turkey and there is no Priority Pass lounge yet!
Okay, I’m happy to check them out then. They have something regional that’s different from the usual western offering?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:30 pm

Okay, I’m happy to check them out then. They have something regional that’s different from the usual western offering?
The quality of the meat is much much better, I can't even eat Burger King in the UK after! It's amazing how different it is.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:10 pm

Even if your gates end up being at completely opposite ends of the terminal, the walk (while also moving on the walkways) should take under 20 minutes if moving at a reasonable pace.

I had to tire myself out during a transit stay (couldn’t sleep) and timed the walk from furthest A to furthest F gate at 16 minutes and change.
Walking times from the two lounges to the gates, as listed by TK in the lounges:

Walking times from M&S lounge

Walking times from business lounge

Shuly
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
INT to DOM transit

Flying on 016 stock UA award single ticket. Arriving from ORD with first legal connection to BAL next AM with 17 hour connection. As a *A Gold UA 1K member, I need to check in 3 very large bags (30kg each) as first flight of this itinerary on UA metal. I don't want to claim bags in IST as they will be tagged through to BAL.
Will TK hold the bags overnight and onload them next morning for the connecting domestic flight?
Thanks for your anticipated expert responses.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
Originally Posted by cagcag
Flying on 016 stock UA award single ticket. Arriving from ORD with first legal connection to BAL next AM with 17 hour connection. As a *A Gold UA 1K member, I need to check in 3 very large bags (30kg each) as first flight of this itinerary on UA metal. I don't want to claim bags in IST as they will be tagged through to BAL.
Will TK hold the bags overnight and onload them next morning for the connecting domestic flight?
Once we had little shorter connection then you and because we had everything on one ticket our bags were checked from start till the end of our journey. I think until you have everything on one ticket there is no problems with connection times.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
They would probably hold the bags overnight if BAL has customs facilities; I would strongly advise you to check the list of airports with customs.
If BAL hasn't got customs facilities, you need to reclaim your bags and take it upstairs to the domestic baggage claim desks or Business Class check-in counter.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:08 pm

They would probably hold the bags overnight if BAL has customs facilities; I would strongly advise you to check the list of airports with customs.
If BAL hasn't got customs facilities, you need to reclaim your bags and take it upstairs to the domestic baggage claim desks or Business Class check-in counter.
Thanks. I'll check the status of BAL in terms of customs.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:24 pm

ISTFlyer. Unfortunately, BAL doesn't have customs control. In my situation could I be able to clear customs in IST upon arrival and immediately proceed to domestic check-in for flight the next morning?
Will I have check-in problems with excess baggage on domestic connection? 3 bags will already have been tagged to BAL. Should I attempt to change destination to DIY where there is a customs control?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:24 pm

ISTFlyer. Unfortunately, BAL doesn't have customs control. In my situation could I be able to clear customs in IST upon arrival and immediately proceed to domestic check-in for flight the next morning?
Will I have check-in problems with excess baggage on domestic connection? 3 bags will already have been tagged to BAL. Should I attempt to change destination to DIY where there is a customs control?
ISTFlyer. Final question: is there a domestic CIP lounge for *A Gold pax? How does it compare to the the INT CIP Lounge.? How is it accessed? Thanks again.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by shuly
Walking times from the two lounges to the gates, as listed by TK in the lounges:

Walking times from M&S lounge

Walking times from business lounge

Shuly
those are good estimates with plenty of padding (C1 is directly across from the M&S lounge exit for example: 30 meters in 5 minutes.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:15 pm

those are good estimates with plenty of padding (C1 is directly across from the M&S lounge exit for example: 30 meters in 5 minutes.
There's also something odd in the lack of symmetry. I would expect the distance between the M&S lounge and, say, the B gates, to be identical to the distance between the Business lounge and the F gates.

Shuly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.