Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Old May 9, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by tobitronics
Does anyone know if it's possible to go landside again from the international departures area? I have a long layover and want to visit the lounge before heading into the city
Thanks!
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31031370-post65.html
royng and nnanlno like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Hi all, we're arriving early morning (4am) at IST and will be taking the Touristanbul tour from 8:30am to 3:00pm before departing at 7:30pm. Flying in J on TK.

I was wondering if there will be any problems accessing the business class lounge before and after the tour? Hoping to get in when we arrive to shower and rest a bit, and also before we leave to maybe shower again and get some food/drinks. Any issues going in that early and/or re-entering the lounge the second time?
Old May 13, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: M&S E+, KLM FB
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Hi all, we're arriving early morning (4am) at IST and will be taking the Touristanbul tour from 8:30am to 3:00pm before departing at 7:30pm. Flying in J on TK.

I was wondering if there will be any problems accessing the business class lounge before and after the tour? Hoping to get in when we arrive to shower and rest a bit, and also before we leave to maybe shower again and get some food/drinks. Any issues going in that early and/or re-entering the lounge the second time?
There are no issues with re-entering tho lounge. I've done that in November before and after taking a TourIstanbul tour from Atatürk. I've re-entered the lounge in the new airport though within an hour.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by tobitronics
Does anyone know if it's possible to go landside again from the international departures area? I have a long layover and want to visit the lounge before heading into the city.

Thanks!
That's on the left side of the terminal (Concourse B), if you're on the right side (Concourse F), use this instead

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31074661-post101.html

Both sides are manned but 0 question asked regarding why you want to go to "Passport Control".

I had a connection of 22 hours last week and went to the lounge twice with no issue of whatsoever.
nnanlno likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:57 pm

I am flying CPH - IST - TBS on a single ticket. I originally had a short 70 minute layover in IST but a schedule change cut the connection time to 55 minutes: I was therefore rebooked to a later IST - TBS flight with a long layover.

In the event that I have enough time to make the earlier connection in IST, would TK allow me to get on my original flight? Should I try to do this at the transfer desk or directly at the gate? I am *G and will have only carry on bags.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SF_trotter
I am flying CPH - IST - TBS on a single ticket. I originally had a short 70 minute layover in IST but a schedule change cut the connection time to 55 minutes: I was therefore rebooked to a later IST - TBS flight with a long layover.

In the event that I have enough time to make the earlier connection in IST, would TK allow me to get on my original flight? Should I try to do this at the transfer desk or directly at the gate? I am *G and will have only carry on bags.
You could try your chance. It works sometimes. Transfer desk or a care point would be better to do a flight change.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:06 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
anyway to check arrival gates?

Originally Posted by bigjono
Flying lhr-ist-kgl. Fairly keen not to miss the ist-kgl flight given it is once a day. Due to a schedule change my connection time is down from 75 minutes to 65 minutes. My TA and TK both tell me this is a legal connection. Now I am no expert flyer guru but EF seems to indicate 75 minutes MCT for int-int. Any thoughts from the experts on here? Even if it meets MCT and is legal, does 65 minutes meet SCT (sensible connection time)?

i will have a checked bag.
I am looking at a similar situation to this, a 65 minute connection to a once-a-day flight. Also ex-UK so I know that I can avoid security, and HBO only, so I think that I have a good/very good chance of making it. However, is there any way to check which gates (typically) the inbound flight will arrive at? [I can check departing on thy.com]. I appreciate that gates can vary, but I'd like to have the 'likely' route mapped already in my head.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I am looking at a similar situation to this, a 65 minute connection to a once-a-day flight. Also ex-UK so I know that I can avoid security, and HBO only, so I think that I have a good/very good chance of making it. However, is there any way to check which gates (typically) the inbound flight will arrive at? [I can check departing on thy.com]. I appreciate that gates can vary, but I'd like to have the 'likely' route mapped already in my head.
Unfortunately, there is no pattern for arrival and departure gates at Istanbul Airport. All flights are assigned random gates, there is no pattern. However, for departures to the UK, USA, Israel, Canada, the gate options are limited because of the additional area for gate security required but those gates are also all around the terminal so it won't be possible to have a definite answer. But, it's true that with an ex-UK transfer, you would avoid security.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Slightly OT... Is there a place in the new airport to pick up a membership card. The new one did not arrive in the mail (yet).
Old May 17, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Slightly OT... Is there a place in the new airport to pick up a membership card. The new one did not arrive in the mail (yet).
There is a dedicated thread. You could find the locations of the card pickup points in the WIKI section.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
There is a dedicated thread. You could find the locations of the card pickup points in the WIKI section.
Cheers.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: TK Elite+ Delta Platinum Medallion
I want to share my experience traveling through New Airport. Flew JFK-IST-ATH in J on May 11th. Left JFK on time and arrived to IST at 11.50. Taxied approx 20 minutes and arrived to gate F7 at 12.15. Was wisked straight to the departures area ( no security needed ) and had to walk approximately 30 minutes to get to gate A7 for flight to ATH. Airport is impressive. Departed 20 minutes late, taxied 15 minutes. All OK.

Return May 13th ATH-IST-ADB. 550 AM flight from ATH to IST arrived at 6.55 AM. Taxied 15 minutes. After coming out , in order to go to Domestic Lounge you can exit from Passport area that says DOMESTIC TRANSFER. Once in the Domestic Departure are, you can go to gate G6 and there is an Elevator that takes you straight to TK DOMESTIC LOUNGE. Very easy and quick. They make no announcements so you have to check the monitors to get onto the Bus .
Taxied for 15 minutes.

May 17th, ESB-IST was quick. Arrived and taxied for 10 minutes. Took a Private car that took me to Hilton Bosphorous ( Elamadag-Harbiye District ) in 30 minutes. Took car 12.40 pm, arrived 1.11 pm to Hilton.

Return was the same, May 18thm took a car at 15.15 PM, arrived IST 15.48 PM on Saturday. Business Lounge hard to find but very nice. Departed gate B3 on time, taxied for 10 minutes and departed on time. Arrived JFK 9.50 PM.

Overall, good service, nice airport, less crowded, seamless , better than Ataturk.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Dave69NewYork
I want to share my experience traveling through New Airport. Flew JFK-IST-ATH in J on May 11th. Left JFK on time and arrived to IST at 11.50. Taxied approx 20 minutes and arrived to gate F7 at 12.15. Was wisked straight to the departures area ( no security needed ) and had to walk approximately 30 minutes to get to gate A7 for flight to ATH. Airport is impressive. Departed 20 minutes late, taxied 15 minutes. All OK.

Return May 13th ATH-IST-ADB. 550 AM flight from ATH to IST arrived at 6.55 AM. Taxied 15 minutes. After coming out , in order to go to Domestic Lounge you can exit from Passport area that says DOMESTIC TRANSFER. Once in the Domestic Departure are, you can go to gate G6 and there is an Elevator that takes you straight to TK DOMESTIC LOUNGE. Very easy and quick. They make no announcements so you have to check the monitors to get onto the Bus .
Taxied for 15 minutes.

May 17th, ESB-IST was quick. Arrived and taxied for 10 minutes. Took a Private car that took me to Hilton Bosphorous ( Elamadag-Harbiye District ) in 30 minutes. Took car 12.40 pm, arrived 1.11 pm to Hilton.

Return was the same, May 18thm took a car at 15.15 PM, arrived IST 15.48 PM on Saturday. Business Lounge hard to find but very nice. Departed gate B3 on time, taxied for 10 minutes and departed on time. Arrived JFK 9.50 PM.

Overall, good service, nice airport, less crowded, seamless , better than Ataturk.
How much did the taxi ride cost? Did you consider a bus?
Old May 20, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: TK Elite+ Delta Platinum Medallion
I had a car Budget through Sixt so I used their service.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite+, Qatar Platinum
When transferring from International (Schengen) to Domestic Terminal and back.
Are there dedicated Business Class (Elite+) Immigration and Security Lines?
Apologies, I am sure it was already asked and answered but I could not find it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.