Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If it's over 9 hours, then you would have the option to benefit from the free stopover hotel ( if flying Business ) but you would still need to pay $60 pp to access the hotel desk. My calculations indicated that both layovers are around 8 to 9 hours or you are traveling at the winter season.
One layover is 10.5 hours, the other is 8.5 hrs. Summer itinerary.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:42 pm

Hi, first time here - thanks to Turkish Airlines

Would really like to hear if anyone actually made the Int-Int connection within 60 or 70 minutes at the new IST airport. If not, what was the Airline's response?

I'm on a single ticket MUM-IST-LIS with only 70 min transit on Turkish. Tickets were booked 5 months back when this connection was possible at Ataturk.

Now if the first flight is late by even 30-40 minutes I would miss my 2nd flight to Lisbon and then the next flight to Lisbon is only after 18 hours!

Will TA put us in a hotel? I would have to spend US$ 43 x 3 passenger for an e-visa. Would Turkish compensate us for $ 129??

Really sticky situation...
Old May 2, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by RainmanMumbai
Hi, first time here - thanks to Turkish Airlines

Would really like to hear if anyone actually made the Int-Int connection within 60 or 70 minutes at the new IST airport. If not, what was the Airline's response?

I'm on a single ticket MUM-IST-LIS with only 70 min transit on Turkish. Tickets were booked 5 months back when this connection was possible at Ataturk.

Now if the first flight is late by even 30-40 minutes I would miss my 2nd flight to Lisbon and then the next flight to Lisbon is only after 18 hours!

Will TA put us in a hotel? I would have to spend US$ 43 x 3 passenger for an e-visa. Would Turkish compensate us for $ 129??

Really sticky situation...
They would book you to the next LIS flight as you mentioned which would be the morning flight on the next day. Try to ask a rerouting via BCN or MAD which would take you to LIS on the same day.
Turkish Airlines would pay for your hotel. You need to first go to one of the transfer desks, be rebooked ( don't forget to ask meal vouchers ), clear immigration and proceed to the hotel desk after leaving the baggage claim area.
However, Turkish Airlines won't pay for your e-visas. You would need to buy them on your own expense. Turkish Airlines is only obliged to pay for your hotel, meals and transport from/to the hotel.

Please report back your experience after you landed to IST.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:32 pm

ISTflyer - thanks that's a quick response!

I believe there's an airside hotel called Yotel? Wouldn't they just put us up there. It would save the visa cost as well as travel to and from the city.

Or maybe one of their Biz class lounges?

Someone else was mentioning here that the WiFi at IST Airport is code based and the code never comes to your Home country phone number, so the WiFi does not work. And if I'm unable to connect then there's no e-visa.

Last edited by RainmanMumbai; May 2, 2019 at 3:33 pm Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old May 2, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
ISTflyer - thanks that's a quick response!

I believe there's an airside hotel called Yotel? Wouldn't they just put us up there. It would save the visa cost as well as travel to and from the city.

Or maybe one of their Biz class lounges?

Someone else was mentioning here that the WiFi at IST Airport is code based and the code never comes to your Home country phone number, so the WiFi does not work. And if I'm unable to connect then there's no e-visa.
The YOTEL is 4 times expensive than city hotels and it’s almost full every night. It’s cheaper for TK to bus passengers to hotels near the old airport. So forget about the YOTEL unless you want to pay around €150-€250 per night. As I said, you need to pay your visa on your own.

Also, you would be handed meal vouchers. That means TK has provided their food responsability. So, no lounge access. You could use the IGA Lounge for €59 per person if you wish.

There is a visa desk that you could buy visas but the prices are higher there. Unfortunately, the airport Wi-Fi does work for Turkish phone numbers only.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:22 pm

Well makes sense for TK as an airline I guess..

Will post back on this thread when I do this next week.

About the hotels - I'm presuming they use basic (2/3*??) to put up passengers. And the meal vouchers are for use at the same hotel?

It's a major letdown that WiFi is not available if you don't have a local sim. That's a basic provided by every small airport across the world and it's timed for 30 minutes or 100 mb etc. They could have at least provided that.

Let's see how it goes next week and how sensitive TK actually is to passengers!
Old May 2, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
About the hotels - I'm presuming they use basic (2/3*??) to put up passengers. And the meal vouchers are for use at the same hotel?

Let's see how it goes next week and how sensitive TK actually is to passengers!
(from old IST experience)
The hotels for economy passengers are usually okay, but sometimes you get a happy surprise. Meals are at the same hotel.

As for how sensitive TK are to their passengers: don’t expect a red carpet or submissive service. The ground crew are generally not nice/friendly the way you’d find in other cultures, but you should definitely get your needs taken care of in case of a missed connection.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

As for how sensitive TK are to their passengers: don’t expect a red carpet or submissive service. The ground crew are generally not nice/friendly the way you’d find in other cultures, but you should definitely get your needs taken care of in case of a missed connection.
agreed. Perfectly civil.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Five observations from two recent trips through the new airport.

1 – It is huge, though not necessarily in a good way. Transfers can take a lot of hiking. According to my Fitbit, I used over 4000 steps walking from the aircraft door, to the airport central area, a bit of a wander around, then another very long walk to the gate for my connecting flight. Fine if you don’t mind walking but tough on children and older people.

2 – The time for aircraft taxi is very long. I timed touchdown to gate and gate to take off four times, and averaged 22 minutes. This does not involve queuing for take off, just taxi-ing.

3 – The €59 upstairs lounge is expensive and apart from being big is nothing special. Food OK, wines average, reasonable amount of seats. Didn’t see any sleeper seats, though could have missed them.

4 – The secret room: Opposite Gate B1 is a room with big round cushions, ideal for a quiet snooze to pass a long layover. Was unused when I was there, it looks like few people know about it (until now). It’s bright, so bring eyeshades.

5 –Finally, there is plenty of shopping – though bring lots of money.

I know the new airport was badly needed, but overall, I would give it 6/10, no more.

Grantosol
ISTFlyer and RainmanMumbai like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:00 am

Good reply - any luck you had with WiFi?

And do you remember seeing what is called the short connection points? They take you from gate to gate without crossing through the Duty Free area I yhink
Old May 3, 2019, 8:34 pm

We're staying at the St. Regis. Is there any cheap public transport to that area of the city? We were planning on taking the train from the old airport but now all TK operations have moved here. I'm assuming that our Atlas flight will be flying into here as well instead of Ataturk? We're flying out on TK business.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by googs185
We're staying at the St. Regis. Is there any cheap public transport to that area of the city? We were planning on taking the train from the old airport but now all TK operations have moved here. I'm assuming that our Atlas flight will be flying into here as well instead of Ataturk? We're flying out on TK business.
All flights scheduled from Atatürk Airport has moved to Istanbul Airport. So, your AtlasGlobal flight would land to Istanbul Airport. To access St.Regis Hotel with public transport, take the H-2 municipality bus to Mecidiyeköy and from Mecidiyeköy, take bus 30A or take a taxi. The taxi from Mecidiyeköy would cost around ₺15 ( around 3 USD ).

On the way back, take bus 30M or a taxi to Mecidiyeköy and take bus H-2 from there.

Instead of bus H-2, you could also use the Havaist shuttle İST-18 to reach Mecidiyeköy. The H-2 bus is a municipality bus ( ₺5.20 per ride ) and the Havaist shuttle İST-18 is a coach bus ( ₺16 per ride ). They both take the same route and the travel time would be the same.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:36 am

I was watching some videos released by Turkish. They mention these short connection points but the video was not exactly clear how to find them. Are passengers supposed to go right from the aerobridge after exiting from the aircraft?

The video shows right while other passengers go left. Not sure if this could be a universal rule.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Advice/information please: I'm arriving on a BA flight from LHR on 20 May (due in 16:35) and departing on TK962 to Ercan at 19:20. I have the option of HBO on BA, but the case will be too big and heavy for TK carry-on rules. Is it possible to check luggage for the TK flight airside, or do I need to pass through immigration to get to landside check in desks? (I have my visa already.) Or if I turn up at the TK gate with oversize/overweight bag, will they check it from there?
If I need to go landside, I may as well check my bag on BA as well. I'm hoping that despite all the long walks I have time to do this...
Old May 4, 2019, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was watching some videos released by Turkish. They mention these short connection points but the video was not exactly clear how to find them. Are passengers supposed to go right from the aerobridge after exiting from the aircraft?

The video shows right while other passengers go left. Not sure if this could be a universal rule.
See post #22

Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector
Advice/information please: I'm arriving on a BA flight from LHR on 20 May (due in 16:35) and departing on TK962 to Ercan at 19:20. I have the option of HBO on BA, but the case will be too big and heavy for TK carry-on rules. Is it possible to check luggage for the TK flight airside, or do I need to pass through immigration to get to landside check in desks? (I have my visa already.) Or if I turn up at the TK gate with oversize/overweight bag, will they check it from there?

If I need to go landside, I may as well check my bag on BA as well. I'm hoping that despite all the long walks I have time to do this...
Do not pass immigration, %99 no one would check the size of your baggage, neither weight it. If they reject your cabin baggage at the gate, ask them to check it to hold. No need to clear immigration, if you don't have any other checked baggage.

Also, what's the logic of buying a Turkish visa while traveling to TRNC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.