Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Grantosol
I am booked Doha / Istanbul / Dublin TK Steerage on 1 May. Early arrival IST. 7 hour layover. I see there is an earlier flight to DUB with a 50 minute connection time. In Atatürk the MCT was 1 hour.
Do you think they would let me change to the earlier flight? And is there a reasonable chance of making it on time? Thx Grantosol
A 50 min connection is not possible in a single ticket. The MCT at Istanbul Airport is an hour. Obviously, if the IST-DUB flight is delayed and there is time to load your bags and transfer you to that flight, request to be transferred to the earlier flight at the transfer desk before clearing transfer security. In normal conditions, you won't be able to move to the earlier flight.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Your situation looks like you found a sweet IST-SIN deal in J and you don't want to loose it. If you're LHR based try the Aegean red-eye from LHR to ATH and then the morning ATH-IST flight instead of staying in a hotel and arriving on the previous day. With this option you would have 2h30 mins in ATH and 3h30 mins in IST. Or forget about BA for the direct LHR-IST flight option and take the red-eye TK which you would have 6 hours instead of 14 hours. If it would be hard for the kids, take a direct flight or an option that has a 1h-3h connection in a single ticket.
it's 4:30h at athens waiting so I prefered to take 16.30 from LHR and have 10.30 at Athens and took some close hotel

red eye is fin with me I did it few times to retein Aegean Gold status but with 2 small kids its difrent story
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:03 am

Flying lhr-ist-kgl. Fairly keen not to miss the ist-kgl
flight given it is once a day. Due to a schedule change my connection time is down from 75 minutes to 65 minutes. My TA and TK both tell me this is a legal connection. Now I am no expert flyer guru but EF seems to indicate 75 minutes MCT for int-int. Any thoughts from the experts on here? Even if it meets MCT and is legal, does 65 minutes meet SCT (sensible connection time)?

i will have a checked bag.

Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by bigjono
flight given it is once a day. Due to a schedule change my connection time is down from 75 minutes to 65 minutes. My TA and TK both tell me this is a legal connection. Now I am no expert flyer guru but EF seems to indicate 75 minutes MCT for int-int. Any thoughts from the experts on here? Even if it meets MCT and is legal, does 65 minutes meet SCT (sensible connection time)?

AFAIK, the MCT at IST is 60 minutes for INT-INT unless it has changed. So, you should be fine. If you miss your flight to Kigali, you would be rebooked to the next available KGL flight. If you need to confirm the changes by calling TK, don't confirm it unless you have asked and insisted for a change. If your TA has confirmed the 10 minute change for you, unfortunately there is nothing to do.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+

Personally I would not do 65 minutes at the new airport. It was fine at Ataturk, but there is too much taxiing now. Have a good read of the terminal map and work out where you are going. Arriving from LHR, you do not need to pass though security, but make sure you go the right way when you get out of the aircraft door. There should be someone there to send you up the ramp to the departures area. You can check at the gate to see if they have your bag.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic

I have not used the new airport but people keep mentioning 20min taxi times and long walks owing to the layout of the terminal. I just looked at flightaware and the flight from LHR seems to arrive close to 6pm on many days (which I believe is the gate arrival time) which leaves barely 20min to the departure to KGL for deplaning and running to the gate. I would try press them for an earlier flight or be prepared to spend the night in IST.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Eurobonus
I’m travelling OSL-IST-TLV tomorrow (in business class), which I guess might mean I arrive ‘unclean’ and will need to go through additional security at the gate (that’s only occasionally happened in the past, but I assume that’s the rule now). Connection time is 100 minutes.
Should I head to one of the short connection points, or take another route? Anyone have any experience with them? It would be interesting to see the new lounge, of course, but I’m assuming I won’t have time.
Any advice gratefully received.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Senhal
I’m travelling OSL-IST-TLV tomorrow (in business class), which I guess might mean I arrive ‘unclean’ and will need to go through additional security at the gate (that’s only occasionally happened in the past, but I assume that’s the rule now). Connection time is 100 minutes.
Should I head to one of the short connection points, or take another route? Anyone have any experience with them? It would be interesting to see the new lounge, of course, but I’m assuming I won’t have time.
Any advice gratefully received.
You might find the queue at the short connection point is longer than the time it takes to go through the normal check. It depends on which gate you arrive at as to what will be quickest.
Senhal likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by kq747
I have not used the new airport but people keep mentioning 20min taxi times and long walks owing to the layout of the terminal. I just looked at flightaware and the flight from LHR seems to arrive close to 6pm on many days (which I believe is the gate arrival time) which leaves barely 20min to the departure to KGL for deplaning and running to the gate. I would try press them for an earlier flight or be prepared to spend the night in IST.
I thought I would report back. TK weren’t interested in rebooking on the earlier LHR-IST flight given the connection was legal. The “highly ambitious” connection turned into the impossible connection before the checkin desks in LHR even opened. I had been rebooked to the next day’s KGL flight by the time we landed in IST (thanks to Turkish inflight wifi I saw this while enroute which was nice).

After visiting two of the “care points” and the business lounge I had new boarding pass in hand and was off to the landside Hotel Desk. The hotel the business class passengers were booked into was quite nice but downtown so a bit of a trek. No issue for me given the 24 hour time to the new flight. Not so great for the passenger who got to the hotel around 21:15 and needed to be back on the bus by 4:00. For them the driving time downtown would have been more of a pain. The hotel desk process was moderately efficient (25 mins?).

My luggage has supposedly been moved on to today’s flight ... fingers crossed.

Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
I thought I would report back. TK weren’t interested in rebooking on the earlier LHR-IST flight given the connection was legal. The “highly ambitious” connection turned into the impossible connection before the checkin desks in LHR even opened. I had been rebooked to the next day’s KGL flight by the time we landed in IST (thanks to Turkish inflight wifi I saw this while enroute which was nice).

My luggage has supposedly been moved on to today’s flight ... fingers crossed.
Thanks for reporting back; always helpful to others on here. I figured they would fight you on the rebooking but always worth asking. How come the it became "impossible" that early on? Was the inbound to LHR delayed?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by kq747
Thanks for reporting back; always helpful to others on here. I figured they would fight you on the rebooking but always worth asking. How come the it became "impossible" that early on? Was the inbound to LHR delayed?
bingo
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Hi Dave,

1- All gates are assigned randomly at Istanbul Airport so there isn't any pattern that any flight would depart at a specific concourse. Only USA, UK, Canada and Israel bound flights uses the gates with extra screening areas and a private seating area. I have shared the list of these gates back in 2018, but they are all around the terminal and not in one single concourse.

2- You should be able to go to the departures level by showing your boarding pass. After arriving to the gate, do not take the escalators up to the arrivals level. Check for an employee at the jet bridge.

3- Probably on their own flight at 19:45, it's rare that TK rebooks to a partner airline. You won't be eligible for EU261/2004 compensation as TK is non an EU carrier and your departure points for both of your flights are not from the EU. If you missed your connecting flight on the opposite ( ATH-IST-JFK ) way, it would be eligible for the EU compensation.
HI ISTFlyer,

There have been conflicting responses from the forum that state the requirement to clear "security" for international transfer passengers (traveling on both legs/single ticket with TK). Is this a security check or an actual requirement to clear customs and immigration?

I don't think I have to clear immigration with an e-visa on an itinerary of YUL-IST-SIN? Do I?

Thanks,

HW
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HWN33
HI ISTFlyer,

There have been conflicting responses from the forum that state the requirement to clear "security" for international transfer passengers (traveling on both legs/single ticket with TK). Is this a security check or an actual requirement to clear customs and immigration?

I don't think I have to clear immigration with an e-visa on an itinerary of YUL-IST-SIN? Do I?

Thanks,

HW
In Turkey and most European countries, the situation is different than North American countries where all passengers regardless of their final destination needs to clear immigration. In Istanbul Airport, if you have an international to international transfer, you don't need to clear immigration as long as you stay in the transit area and the airside. So, you won't need a visa on your specific itinerary. Your bags would automatically be transferred to the next flight.

When you're arriving from YUL and connecting to SIN, you won't need to clear transfer security ( no screening ) as Canada is considered as a clear destination.
However, on the return, after arriving from SIN, you would need to clear security ( screening ) in the transit area of IST and you would be subject to an extra security checks at the gate as your flight is going to Canada.

Just be aware as the itinerary YUL-IST-SIN has a long connection at both ways, if you are trying to benefit from the free city tours, you would need to clear immigration which would require a visa ( depending on your nationality ). If you're flying Business Class or holding an Elite Plus status at Miles&Smiles, you could benefit from the sleeping rooms at the lounge.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:45 pm

Thanks for the great reply.

Coming from Canada, each of us traveling would need to have an e-visa (US$60) to take advantage of the city tour. I am aware of the sleeping room option but if the layover is over 9 hrs, we are not eligible to use them despite having access to the lounge.

Cheers.

HW
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HWN33
Thanks for the great reply.

Coming from Canada, each of us traveling would need to have an e-visa (US$60) to take advantage of the city tour. I am aware of the sleeping room option but if the layover is over 9 hrs, we are not eligible to use them despite having access to the lounge.

Cheers.

HW
If it's over 9 hours, then you would have the option to benefit from the free stopover hotel ( if flying Business ) but you would still need to pay $60 pp to access the hotel desk. My calculations indicated that both layovers are around 8 to 9 hours or you are traveling at the winter season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.