Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Very many thanks, that's extremely helpful - I'll chance it with HBO! My previous experiences with TK were that they are pretty relaxed about carry-on size and weight.
I got the visa - only $20 after all - in case I needed to immigrate. I may need to on the return journey (TK connecting to BA) if they are difficult about the carry-on at ERC.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector
Very many thanks, that's extremely helpful - I'll chance it with HBO! My previous experiences with TK were that they are pretty relaxed about carry-on size and weight.
I got the visa - only $20 after all - in case I needed to immigrate. I may need to on the return journey (TK connecting to BA) if they are difficult about the carry-on at ERC.
As you mentioned, they could be stricter at outstations for the carry on size and weight.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by RainmanMumbai
Good reply - any luck you had with WiFi?

And do you remember seeing what is called the short connection points? They take you from gate to gate without crossing through the Duty Free area I yhink
I see the airport web site is advertising a new airport app. Among other features it says: "By logging in the app, you can use the Free WiFi service." Hopefully that could solve the problem of connecting with foreign sim cards?
Old May 4, 2019, 8:21 am

Just to add... I registered on the app from my home in South Africa. It required lots of personal info including phone number. You get to put in your country code from a drop down list and I put my cell phone number in without the leading zero. On completion it sent me an sms with a link to activate my registration. It worked seemlessly for me.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:17 am

Hi Cheetah - so once you landed at IST, you did not require a code again sent to your mobile? You just connected to the WiFi straightaway?
Old May 4, 2019, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
All flights scheduled from Atatürk Airport has moved to Istanbul Airport. So, your AtlasGlobal flight would land to Istanbul Airport. To access St.Regis Hotel with public transport, take the H-2 municipality bus to Mecidiyeköy and from Mecidiyeköy, take bus 30A or take a taxi. The taxi from Mecidiyeköy would cost around ₺15 ( around 3 USD ).

On the way back, take bus 30M or a taxi to Mecidiyeköy and take bus H-2 from there.

Instead of bus H-2, you could also use the Havaist shuttle İST-18 to reach Mecidiyeköy. The H-2 bus is a municipality bus ( ₺5.20 per ride ) and the Havaist shuttle İST-18 is a coach bus ( ₺16 per ride ). They both take the same route and the travel time would be the same.
wow, Thank you so much for the detailed and helpful reply. About how long will it take to get from the airport to the hotel on the H2 and how much does the H2 cost? Which method of transportation You mentioned would be the fastest? How long does it take to exit through customs?
Old May 4, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by googs185
About how long will it take to get from the airport to the hotel?
By public transportation, around an hour.

How long does it take to exit through customs?
Depends on your specific arrival date and time.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:04 pm

About how long will it take to get from the airport to the hotel on the H2 and how much does the H2 cost? Which method of transportation You mentioned would be the fastest?
Old May 4, 2019, 3:04 pm

We are arriving on a Monday morning at around 9 AM
Old May 4, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About how long will it take to get from the airport to the hotel on the H2 and how much does the H2 cost? Which method of transportation You mentioned would be the fastest?
₺5.20 per ride. Slightly less than 1 USD. Only Istanbulkart is accepted as a payment method for H-2. You could easily purchase an Istanbulkart from the machines.
H-2 and İST-18 take the same route. The only difference is that one is a municipality bus and the other one is a coach bus.

We are arriving on a Monday morning at around 9 AM
I don't think that you would wait more than 20 minutes. Weekday mornings are usually empty but there is also a small possibility that you could wait more than 20-25 minutes.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:27 pm

₺5.20 per ride. Slightly less than 1 USD. Only Istanbulkart is accepted as a payment method for H-2. You could easily purchase an Istanbulkart from the machines.
H-2 and İST-18 take the same route. The only difference is that one is a municipality bus and the other one is a coach bus.

I don't think that you would wait more than 20 minutes. Weekday mornings are usually empty but there is also a small possibility that you could wait more than 20-25 minutes.
Thank you for your quick and informative replies. How much would a taxi cost from the airport to our hotel and would we save much time by taking it?
Old May 4, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for your quick and informative replies. How much would a taxi cost from the airport to our hotel and would we save much time by taking it?
Around ₺160-180 + tolls ( around 30-35 USD ). Public transport is much cheaper than taking a taxi. You would save 10-15 minutes per way if you decide to take a taxi.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by RainmanMumbai
Hi Cheetah - so once you landed at IST, you did not require a code again sent to your mobile? You just connected to the WiFi straightaway?
I assume that’s how it will work - but I’m afraid I’ve only registered. I won’t land at IST for another month!

Old May 5, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite+, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I assume that’s how it will work - but I’m afraid I’ve only registered. I won’t land at IST for another month!
I am also interested if that’s working to avoid Turkish mobile data roaming and to bridge the gap between gate and lounge.
Did anyone test that already?
Old May 9, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: FB Silver - STE, BAEC Bronze - OW Ruby
Does anyone know if it's possible to go landside again from the international departures area? I have a long layover and want to visit the lounge before heading into the city.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.