Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Jed33d
Looking for advice/confirmation on our transit through IST. We are flying ORD-IST-BLQ in J. My understanding from reading this thread is that there may or may not be a passport check on arrival on our way to the lounge? Then when we leave the lounge for our gate, there would only potentially be a security screening at the gate? We have 10 hr layover (not eligible for the sleeping rooms unfortunately, as there is an earlier flight to BLQ), so not pressed for time, just wanted to make sure I understood the process.

Also, with a long layover are there any "highlights" in the terminal areas to check out? Also anywhere we can get some natural light (probably no outside terrace?) to help re-adjust our jet lag? We land at 6 AM. Thanks!
US arrivals are “clean” so no transit security, and no immigration at all. I highly doubt Italy is a country where extra checks must be conducted at the gate, so no need to reserve extra time for that. The reverse however would require gate screening (especially thorough if SSSS) so plan accordingly.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by bvmcginnis
Thank you so much. That is good information. I am glad to know that estimates are offered.
Yes, it is under 9 hrs. At least as of this writing. Oh, you're right. Passport is before the lounge. But between lounge and departing gate, I presume we have to go through security again. So, since the lounge is air side, we will probably have to go through that and passport check again? I don't know, but at least now it is good to know that an estimate is offered. Less guestimating.
Hi. You got it wrong. You remain airside; the lounges are airside and you don't pass immigration or passport check. There is a transfer security check upon landing UNLESS you will be allowed to proceed directly to departures level from the airbridge (it is a hit or miss if staff will be in airbridge to facilitate such direct access). There is no security check or passport check on the way to the gate but there is a security screening at the gate because it is a flight to the US.

Your TK boarding pass will state that boarding starts 1 hour before scheduled departure time, so if you allow 20min to get to far end gates and leave the lounge in ample time, it will be fine. Just look at the screens and follow the directions; nothing to worry about. You have plenty of time for this transfer, so don't overthink this.
bvmcginnis and DaveS like this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jun 25, 2022 at 12:22 am
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jed33d
Looking for advice/confirmation on our transit through IST. We are flying ORD-IST-BLQ in J. My understanding from reading this thread is that there may or may not be a passport check on arrival on our way to the lounge? Then when we leave the lounge for our gate, there would only potentially be a security screening at the gate? We have 10 hr layover (not eligible for the sleeping rooms unfortunately, as there is an earlier flight to BLQ), so not pressed for time, just wanted to make sure I understood the process.
These questions have been addressed in the most recent posts in this thread. There is no passport check upon landing (but maybe you have to go through transfer security checks) and there is no security screening or security checks on the way from the lounge to the gate because it is a flight to Italy.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:07 pm

Will I be able to go landside and then airside the night before if I already have a boarding pass? I am transiting with a 13 hour overnight layover.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Silver
Thank you MiamiFlyer8 and SK AAR! Much appreciated for the info.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by hsumh316
Will I be able to go landside and then airside the night before if I already have a boarding pass? I am transiting with a 13 hour overnight layover.
Yes.
hsumh316 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: BA, TK, UA, HH
LHR-IST (BA-J) x IST-SZF (TK-Y)

hi
Flying into Istanbul from LHR with BA (Business class) and connecting with TK (economy) to Samsun (Domestic flight). Tickets are booked separately by BA and TK. I am travelling with luggage so doubt if BA at LHR will check it through to Samsun. I have 2 hours connection time.

1) Would it be possible to collect luggage at IST from BA flight and re-check for TK domestic flight?
2) Is there a fast lane for immigration for BA business class passengers on arrival at at Istanbul?

Many thanks
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Yes. 2 hours at IST should be OK.
2) Not that I'm aware of.

Let us hope that your BA flight doesn't get cancelled or delayed.
ADNANALI likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I hope this is helpful to someone - we flew home ATH-IST-BOS and did not expect extra baggage screening at the gate in IST. The lines were huge and moving veeerrrrrryyyy slowly as the IST gate agents (?) were THOROUGHLY checking luggage. One of my traveling companions described as "they tossed my luggage and left me to put it back together". There was no room anywhere to put your luggage back together - it was a complete $hitshow. She used packing cubes (young blond American girl who hardly looked suspicious) and they undid those. We were totally unprepared for that and would have gone to the gate sooner had we known.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I hope this is helpful to someone - we flew home ATH-IST-BOS and did not expect extra baggage screening at the gate in IST. The lines were huge and moving veeerrrrrryyyy slowly as the IST gate agents ... We were totally unprepared for that and would have gone to the gate sooner had we known.
This is to be expected for destinations such as the US and TLV. It is always stressful but not always as messy.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I hope this is helpful to someone - we flew home ATH-IST-BOS and did not expect extra baggage screening at the gate in IST. The lines were huge and moving veeerrrrrryyyy slowly as the IST gate agents (?) were THOROUGHLY checking luggage. One of my traveling companions described as "they tossed my luggage and left me to put it back together". There was no room anywhere to put your luggage back together - it was a complete $hitshow. She used packing cubes (young blond American girl who hardly looked suspicious) and they undid those. We were totally unprepared for that and would have gone to the gate sooner had we known.
Originally Posted by flyerby
This is to be expected for destinations such as the US and TLV. It is always stressful but not always as messy.
By the way, for reference it's the US authorities that request TK to do such checks before flights to the USA.

Originally Posted by ADNANALI
hi
Flying into Istanbul from LHR with BA (Business class) and connecting with TK (economy) to Samsun (Domestic flight). Tickets are booked separately by BA and TK. I am travelling with luggage so doubt if BA at LHR will check it through to Samsun. I have 2 hours connection time.

1) Would it be possible to collect luggage at IST from BA flight and re-check for TK domestic flight?
2) Is there a fast lane for immigration for BA business class passengers on arrival at at Istanbul?

Many thanks
Originally Posted by SK AAR
1) Yes. 2 hours at IST should be OK.
2) Not that I'm aware of.

Let us hope that your BA flight doesn't get cancelled or delayed.
Also, just to let you know that TK check-in desks would close 1 hour before departure for domestic flights and if you don't check your bags until that deadline, TK would accept no responsibility.
If you are a Turkish citizen/blue card holder, wait times at immigration for Turkish citizens is close to zero. If you have a Turkish passport, you could use the e-gates. If you are not a Turkish citizen or blue card holder, immigration wait times would depend on the time you arrive.

As​ ​​SK AAR mentioned, BA is not participating at the fast-track program at Istanbul.
ADNANALI likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
I am transiting through IST later this week connecting from TK12 (JFK-IST) to TK788 (IST-TLV).
This is a 1:50 connection so I was not worried, but on recent days TK-12 is approx. 45 minutes late which leaves me with a 1 hour for transit + TLV gate security.

Will I make it?

Happy Travels
DLP
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:34 am

Gate security for TLV (or the US) is never the issue: if you're at the gate on time, you'll get on the flight. Plus, you're not going to be the only one making this connection, so if your incoming flight is late, there are good chances they will delay the TLV flight. I wouldn't be worried about such a connection.

Shuly
TPACjv likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Originally Posted by shuly
Gate security for TLV (or the US) is never the issue: if you're at the gate on time, you'll get on the flight. Plus, you're not going to be the only one making this connection, so if your incoming flight is late, there are good chances they will delay the TLV flight. I wouldn't be worried about such a connection.

Shuly
Thanks Shuly,
Will keep this itinerary.

DLP
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Accor - Gold; Radisson - Gold; Hyatt - Globalist
Hello all - planning to fly EWR-IST-BJV on TK in Business on both legs. Official connection is 90 mins. Inbound flight (TK30) is almost always late (75% or more frequent). Is there a fast track for business pax flying TK int'l to domestic flights? Does anyone have any insight or experience making this or similar connections? Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.