Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: UA MM
I think I've deciphered the IST INTL to INTL connections info as such:

If arrival is near the end of a pier, use the quick connection point. If the arrival is near the beginning of a pier, use the central security screening. Middle of the pier might not matter?

Does this sound right? Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I think I've deciphered the IST INTL to INTL connections info as such:

If arrival is near the end of a pier, use the quick connection point. If the arrival is near the beginning of a pier, use the central security screening. Middle of the pier might not matter?

Does this sound right? Thanks
Just follow the signs as you would never know whether the quick connection points would be open or not. Not all quick connection points are open due to COVID and they might be closed.
Also, pre-COVID, security wouldn't let you in the quick connection points unless your departure is within the next 90 minutes.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:17 pm

Self transfer connecting flight at Istanbul airport Q

Hi

Would love some advice re self transfer connecting flights at Istanbul airport please

Flying Tripoli to Istanbul (Libyan Airlines) and then Istanbul to London (Turkish airlines) will have no checked luggage. Is it possible to transfer to connecting flight while staying airside or would I have to enter Turkey and then check-in at departures as of Istanbul was the original destination

I had a look at the Turkish Airlines website and it states the following but am wondering if the same would apply if you have no checked luggage?

Our transfer passengers, coming from an international point and continuing to an international destination with Turkish Airlines, whose flight routes are not arranged with a single ticket* Learn more

• Get your baggage from the international arrival hall.
  • Go to the international terminal and the related airline’s counter for the check-in procedures of your upcoming flight.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:35 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by ShimmyNash
Hi

Would love some advice re self transfer connecting flights at Istanbul airport please

Flying Tripoli to Istanbul (Libyan Airlines) and then Istanbul to London (Turkish airlines) will have no checked luggage. Is it possible to transfer to connecting flight while staying airside or would I have to enter Turkey and then check-in at departures as of Istanbul was the original destination
Welcome to FT. Just proceed to the transfer desks airside. You may have to clear security again but you will not have to enter Turkey (since you have no checked luggage).
daisymay2 and DaveS like this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 2:51 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by ShimmyNash
Hi

I had a look at the Turkish Airlines website and it states the following but am wondering if the same would apply if you have no checked luggage?

Our transfer passengers, coming from an international point and continuing to an international destination with Turkish Airlines, whose flight routes are not arranged with a single ticket* Learn more

• Get your baggage from the international arrival hall.
  • Go to the international terminal and the related airline’s counter for the check-in procedures of your upcoming flight.
Another welcome to FT. If you can, print your TK boarding pass before leaving Tripoli or have it on your phone. You will need to pass through security at IST and they will ask to see your boarding pass. If you cannot get it before you depart to IST, then you will have to go to a transfer desk first before security. It is all pretty easy and efficient.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by DaveS
Another welcome to FT. If you can, print your TK boarding pass before leaving Tripoli or have it on your phone. You will need to pass through security at IST and they will ask to see your boarding pass. If you cannot get it before you depart to IST, then you will have to go to a transfer desk first before security. It is all pretty easy and efficient.
Just a reminder that the UK is one of the destinations that require you to stop by the counter due to additional security questioning, etc...
Either at the gate or at the transfer counter, the OP needs to get the sticker sticked behind his passport.
DaveS likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Just a reminder that the UK is one of the destinations that require you to stop by the counter due to additional security questioning, etc...
Either at the gate or at the transfer counter, the OP needs to get the sticker sticked behind his passport.
We are flying MRU-MAN (hopefully) in October.

So we have to stop by the transfer desk or can we get the sticker at the IST boarding gate for MAN?

Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by daisymay2
We are flying MRU-MAN (hopefully) in October.

So we have to stop by the transfer desk or can we get the sticker at the IST boarding gate for MAN?

Thanks.
I have always got them at the gate. It is a quick and simple process there.
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by DaveS
I have always got them at the gate. It is a quick and simple process there.
Thankyou very much!
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:29 pm

Programs: CO
Is 1hr enough connecting time for MIA-IST-MXP ? Im flying biz if that makes anything quicker. Thank you
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nikbruno
Is 1hr enough connecting time for MIA-IST-MXP ? Im flying biz if that makes anything quicker. Thank you
Yes, it's enough; however, you wouldn't have time for the lounge.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:19 pm

Hi, flying soon IST-ORD at 6 am and was wondering what time should we allow for check in and security? I would aim for 3 AM ?
We will arrive in SAW from BJV on the day before and I would be grateful if you could confirm that Havaist line 13 goes from SAW to IST? A lot of web searches says that there is no direct connection and I am a bit confused.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zonzi
Hi, flying soon IST-ORD at 6 am and was wondering what time should we allow for check in and security? I would aim for 3 AM ?
We will arrive in SAW from BJV on the day before and I would be grateful if you could confirm that Havaist line 13 goes from SAW to IST? A lot of web searches says that there is no direct connection and I am a bit confused.
Havaist line 13 goes from SAW to IST and there is a direct connection: More details -> https://hava.ist/tr/Voyage/VoyageTime
For a 6am IST-ORD flight, it would be enough if you go to the airport at 4am. 3am would be too early.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:08 am

Many thanks ISTFlyer. You just saved me an hour of sleep .
DaveS and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 5:37 pm

How long of a connection time do I need from Athens to Istanbul to Nevsehir? Internatiol on the first leg, domestic on the second.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.