Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 31, 19, 8:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: IAN-UK
Wiki Link
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 13, 20, 3:31 pm
  #271  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
TK policy is that passengers are allowed to change their flights for free on an earlier flight from 4 hours before departure until their original flight.

However, there should be availability for all of you and you must do the change at the airport. Also, you might not seat all together as well if you change the flight earlier.

Also, if you have a schedule change more than 15 minutes, or if your LGW-SAW flight would change to STN-SAW ( highly possible ); you would also able to change your AYT-IST flight for free.
Ok so I have to go to the airport on the day earlier and see if I can board an earlier flight.

Re your last paragraph: the schedule has already changed 10minutes so now the time has decreased from 1hr 25m to 1hr 15 but is the airport likely to change from STN to SAW?
Salimm20 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:34 pm
  #272  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Posts: 2,502
Originally Posted by Salimm20 View Post
Ok so I have to go to the airport on the day earlier and see if I can board an earlier flight.

Re your last paragraph: the schedule has already changed 10minutes so now the time has decreased from 1hr 25m to 1hr 15 but is the airport likely to change from STN to SAW?
TK is dropping LGW-SAW and transferring passengers to STN-SAW. If youíre affected and seeking further help, donít hesitate to send me a PM in Turkish or English.
ISTFlyer is online now  
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:45 pm
  #273  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
TK is dropping LGW-SAW and transferring passengers to STN-SAW. If youíre affected and seeking further help, donít hesitate to send me a PM in Turkish or English.
Nah thanks for that. Do you know when that is likely to be? I will definitely pm you when I find out.

Also the current schedule has already changed by 20 minutes, the AYT - IST flight is 10min later and the IST - LHR flight is now 10mins earlier so my 1hr 25min has become 1hr 05
Salimm20 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:50 pm
  #274  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Posts: 2,502
Originally Posted by Salimm20 View Post
Nah thanks for that. Do you know when that is likely to be? I will definitely pm you when I find out.

Also the current schedule has already changed by 20 minutes, the AYT - IST flight is 10min later and the IST - LHR flight is now 10mins earlier so my 1hr 25min has become 1hr 05
Regardless when your LGW-SAW flight would be changed to STN-SAW; a 15min+ change means that you could change your ticket for free. Donít press Confirm The Changes if you want a free change. You will have the option to change your flight to the direct LGW-AYT flight or take any LON-AYT combination, including airport changes.
ISTFlyer is online now  
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:20 am
  #275  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
Posts: 2,451
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
I would also like to share this here.
Thank you! it was about time... I really would like to see more of these pods in airports around the world.
What I find a bit "funny" it's that for 5 hours, the total price for these pods in IST is higher than in HEL...
Lefly is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 5:10 am
  #276  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: Lifemiles Avianca
Posts: 34
I will arrive from PTY in IST (16:55) and will connect 1.05 hours later to a flight to DUS (all business) . Is this enough time? If not, TK is paying a hotel for the night if the time to connect is not enough? Thanks
milka2010 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 9:50 am
  #277  
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: BRU
Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Posts: 6,652
Originally Posted by milka2010 View Post
I will arrive from PTY in IST (16:55) and will connect 1.05 hours later to a flight to DUS (all business) . Is this enough time? If not, TK is paying a hotel for the night if the time to connect is not enough? Thanks
Tight but if you miss it the next and last DUS flight leaves at 20.45h (TK 1529).
starflyergold is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:01 am
  #278  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: Lifemiles Avianca
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
Tight but if you miss it the next and last DUS flight leaves at 20.45h (TK 1529).
Thanks, I didn't mentioned that my flight is a arriving the 16.6. at 4:55pm. I couldn't find a flight with TK from IST to DUS at this day later than the booked flight at 6 pm.
milka2010 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:16 am
  #279  
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: BRU
Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Posts: 6,652
Originally Posted by milka2010 View Post
Thanks, I didn't mentioned that my flight is a arriving the 16.6. at 4:55pm. I couldn't find a flight with TK from IST to DUS at this day later than the booked flight at 6 pm.
Correct, in that case they will put you up in a hotel if you miss the flight.
milka2010 likes this.
starflyergold is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:24 am
  #280  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: Lifemiles Avianca
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
Correct, in that case they will put you up in a hotel if you miss the flight.
Thanks
milka2010 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:43 am
  #281  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Regardless when your LGW-SAW flight would be changed to STN-SAW; a 15min+ change means that you could change your ticket for free. Donít press Confirm The Changes if you want a free change. You will have the option to change your flight to the direct LGW-AYT flight or take any LON-AYT combination, including airport changes.
Hi sorry I have not been able to pm you because of a message limit so will do tomorrow. It seems I canít change my own flights due to booking through agent and Turkish Airlines are adamant we have enough time to connect.
Salimm20 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 3:05 pm
  #282  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Posts: 2,502
QUOTE=Salimm20;31949499]Hi sorry I have not been able to pm you because of a message limit so will do tomorrow. It seems I canít change my own flights due to booking through agent and Turkish Airlines are adamant we have enough time to connect.[/QUOTE]

Your connection time is doable but it's not the low connection time that you should ask for a free change. It's schedule change. If your schedule moves more than 15 minutes, you are entitled for a free change.

You should be able to change your reservation online by the way, in case of a schedule change. Probably, the hotline agent was a newbie
The only exception would be that if you have "Confirmed" any changes by the hotline or by clicking the online button, I am sorry that you won't be able to change your flights for free.
ISTFlyer is online now  
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:31 pm
  #283  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
QUOTE=Salimm20;31949499]Hi sorry I have not been able to pm you because of a message limit so will do tomorrow. It seems I canít change my own flights due to booking through agent and Turkish Airlines are adamant we have enough time to connect.
Your connection time is doable but it's not the low connection time that you should ask for a free change. It's schedule change. If your schedule moves more than 15 minutes, you are entitled for a free change.

You should be able to change your reservation online by the way, in case of a schedule change. Probably, the hotline agent was a newbie
The only exception would be that if you have "Confirmed" any changes by the hotline or by clicking the online button, I am sorry that you won't be able to change your flights for free.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, no one has confirmed changes. The schedule change is the airport has changed to STN but the flight time is the same. Turkish Airlines are refusing to do the change and only offering refund?

Last edited by Salimm20; Jan 15, 20 at 6:04 am
Salimm20 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 12:57 am
  #284  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Somewhere between LHR, KUL and YYZ
Programs: Turkish Elite, British Airways Silver
Posts: 47
Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question: in April I have a 13 hour layover, flying MNL-IST-JFK in J. My plan was to go to the lounge, shower, leave my bags in a locker, and then go through passport control to go and visit the city. Is there a way to enter Turkey from the transit area? When I was there yesterday passport control seemed to be next to the transit security area downstairs. Will I need to go back downstairs to go through passport control?
writermatt is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:04 am
  #285  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Posts: 2,502
Originally Posted by writermatt View Post
Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question: in April I have a 13 hour layover, flying MNL-IST-JFK in J. My plan was to go to the lounge, shower, leave my bags in a locker, and then go through passport control to go and visit the city. Is there a way to enter Turkey from the transit area? When I was there yesterday passport control seemed to be next to the transit security area downstairs. Will I need to go back downstairs to go through passport control?
Yes, you would need to go back downstairs and leave the departure hall in order to enter Turkey. So, you would need to;
- Clear transfer security after arrival
- Go to the lounge
- Leave the lounge when you are ready and follow signs to gate F1. Go in towards the secret door which would take you to the arrivals level.
- Clear passport control and leave the baggage claim area

When arriving back at the airport, you would take the same process as a passenger originating in IST.
writermatt likes this.
ISTFlyer is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: