Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DaveS
In Turkey, as in most of the world, clearing immigration is not required for an international to international connection. The passenger can remain airside, and does not need to enter Turkey.

HOWEVER, the transfer passenger may have to go through transfer security inspection.
Arrivals from EU, UK, USA or Canada continuing to other international destinations are not generally subject to transfer security.
All other international-international transfer passengers should clear transfer security.

Domestic to domestic transfer passengers are not subject to transfer security.
International to domestic transfer passengers are subject to security screening regardless of their arrival point.
Domestic to international transfer passengers are subject to security screening.

For international to international transfers, passengers who have less than 75 minutes for their next flight could benefit from the short connection points which are located at the end of concourses. This is only a fast-track for short connections which avoids passing from the duty free area. ( Similar to London Heathrow Terminal 5B and 5C transfer security ).

There is a fast track lane for international to international transfer passengers traveling on Business Class or holding M&S Elite or Elite Plus, or *G status. This service is only available at the main transfer security checkpoint area.

Link for Airport Map:
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-havalimani/ (Turkish)
https://inmapper.com/istanbul-airport/ (English)
https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...92261056WE.pdf(Map for all TK facilities)
Print Wikipost

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul (IST) airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If you're really concerned about time, a taxi would take you at the same time than a private transfer. As Istanbul Airport is a 7/24 operating airport, a private transfer wouldn't same time, instead, you would pay the extra fee for a Vito rather than a sedan.

However, it's always your decision on which option you are going to take but IMO, you would waste €60 when taking a private transfer for that price.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:37 am

How to do transfers at Istanbul (SAW)

Hi
I am arriving(from India) at Istanbul (SAW) airport by international flight and 6 hours later will be leaving by Turkish airways for another international destination. Different flights and 2 different tickets and hence need to collect my baggage. How do I do my transfers? Do I need a transit visa? Please guide.

Thanks

Renu Samuel
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Renu Rachel Samuel
Hi
I am arriving(from India) at Istanbul (SAW) airport by international flight and 6 hours later will be leaving by Turkish airways for another international destination. Different flights and 2 different tickets and hence need to collect my baggage. How do I do my transfers? Do I need a transit visa? Please guide.

Thanks

Renu Samuel
TK does not fly from SAW to India. Are you sure that you are arriving at SAW?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 3:24 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk Renu Samuel!

What you're describing is not a transfer. You will arrive at SAW, and in order to collect your checked baggage, you will have to go through the arrival procedure, which includes immigration. Yes, you will need a visa for Turkey, depending on your nationality. Once you are landside you can collect your bags and proceed to the Turkish Airlines check-in counters, check in for your next flight and check your luggage. Then you will have to go through immigration again in order to leave Turkey.

If you had no checked luggage the procedure could have been different, and you could have stayed in the transit area. In theory, you could also try to convince the check-in agent in India to check your bags all the way to your final destination. This is called interlining, and may work, depending on the airlines involved and on the good will of the agent. However, SAW is not a fun place to spend 6 hours at.

Hope this helps,

Shuly
Old Sep 21, 2019, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Renu Rachel Samuel
Hi

Thanks

Renu Samuel
Yes, you require a visa. Depending of your nationality, you may be able to get a e-visa or you will need to apply for one at the nearest Turkish consulate.

The wikipedia page is up-to-date with the visa requeriments to enter Turkey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Turkey
Old Sep 21, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
TK does not fly from SAW to India. Are you sure that you are arriving at SAW?
He may be arriving with other carrier (Qatar, flydubai etc)
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
He may be arriving with other carrier (Qatar, flydubai etc)
If that's the case, obviously, he does need to enter Turkey by clearing immigration, collect his bags, recheck them at the departure level and clear passport control when leaving the country.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Ok, I had my first and second experience transiting the new IST airport.

First transit coming from BRU, so no security re-screening needed, just the long walk from A6 to the business lounge, then from the lounge to F7a.
Nice big brand new airport, a lot of stores with too expensive prices, a lot of people around. Business Lounge was great, nice spread of seating and food stations. For the first time I saw no queue at the "pizza-like" stand (I do not remember the turkish name)!

Second transit was coming from AUH. Huge PITA, the need to pass security again coming from gate A4. At 6am there was a queue even for the Fast Track... so, i wasn't very happy for that arrangement. This time I decided to try the Miles&Smiles Lounge: crowded, but with enough seating around and not too deep queues at the various food stands. At a glance the place seems exactly the same as the Business Lounge, only with more people.

In summary: nice airport, but too big for walking. Lounges are good, though.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying VCE-IST-SIN in business 2 days from now. ETA at IST is 23:50. Depart to SIN at 02:00. My understanding is we dont need to clear security and have just enough time to make the transfer if the VCE flight is on time?

Reading the whole thread got me worried on the ultra long walk. My husband can walk the long distance but may not be fast enough should our incoming flight has delay. The flights are on same ticket and bookable as part of an Aeroplan award so I assume the 2 hours connection time is legal. Although hindsight I wish the connection time is longer than 2 hours. I suppose we are lucky to make connection and to forget about any chance to visit the lounge.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:24 pm

Connection from LHR To IST to antalya in 1.10 min

Hi am travelingbturkish airline from LHR to IST den lay over 1.10min den to ANT is that possible my travel agent is saying we wud have some assistants as minority’s of the ppl travelling with us r going to be travelling to ANT but am not sure cos of the horror stories am reading on trip advisor and reddit, pls can someone tell me how I can get to the gates and what would happen if I was to miss my flight, I have 1 PNR number
Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shopna8
Hi am travelingbturkish airline from LHR to IST den lay over 1.10min den to ANT is that possible my travel agent is saying we wud have some assistants as minority’s of the ppl travelling with us r going to be travelling to ANT but am not sure cos of the horror stories am reading on trip advisor and reddit, pls can someone tell me how I can get to the gates and what would happen if I was to miss my flight, I have 1 PNR number
Hi shopna8 and welcome to FlyerTalk

A 1h10min connection would be completely fine if your flight from LHR arrives on time. You would simply need to use the dedicated international to domestic transfer passport control booths and security checkpoint and then proceed to your gate.

If you don't make the flight because of a delay in the LHR-IST leg, TK would rebook you to the next available AYT flight for free of charge.

Also I didn't understand what you meant by this phrase
Originally Posted by shopna8
is that possible my travel agent is saying we wud have some assistants as minority’s of the ppl travelling with us r going to be travelling to ANT
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:42 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Happy
Flying VCE-IST-SIN in business 2 days from now. ETA at IST is 23:50. Depart to SIN at 02:00. My understanding is we dont need to clear security and have just enough time to make the transfer if the VCE flight is on time?

Reading the whole thread got me worried on the ultra long walk. My husband can walk the long distance but may not be fast enough should our incoming flight has delay. The flights are on same ticket and bookable as part of an Aeroplan award so I assume the 2 hours connection time is legal. Although hindsight I wish the connection time is longer than 2 hours. I suppose we are lucky to make connection and to forget about any chance to visit the lounge.
You have plenty of time for this connection - yes, it's a big airport and there are some longish walks, but even if your VCE flight was an hour late you'd have enough time for the transit. If your first flight is on time then you'll have time for a glass of raki and some kofte in the lounge as well...
Happy and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Happy
Although hindsight I wish the connection time is longer than 2 hours. I suppose we are lucky to make connection and to forget about any chance to visit the lounge.
? You do realise that 2 hours is double the MCT for TK/TK connections at IST? You can even book flights with 1h connection time at IST and the chances are still fair/good that you will actually make it to the gate in time. Seriously, 2 hours at IST is nothing to worry about - even with a delay of your incoming flight up to 1 hour you should still be able to make it.
Happy, ISTFlyer and FEasy like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
You have plenty of time for this connection - yes, it's a big airport and there are some longish walks, but even if your VCE flight was an hour late you'd have enough time for the transit. If your first flight is on time then you'll have time for a glass of raki and some kofte in the lounge as well...
This is spot on! - I should have read it before providing my comments above - no need to reiterate
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Arriving ex-EU "clean" into IST later tonight, but have been unable to print out my boarding pass from online check-in to continue onwards to KUL.

Would rather avoid going downstairs to arrivals level to visit transfer desk, which I imagine will result in having to repeat security to get back to Departures level. Any ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.