Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lefly
This thread is created for passengers with long connections in Istanbul Airport for TK.

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI CAREFULLY (especially the hotel fine print) before posting questions.

TRANSIT HOTEL (different from Stopover hotel):

TK will provide a free hotel to international transfer passengers at IST if:

- Economy Class ticket: connecting time is 12 hours or longer
- Business Class ticket: connecting time is 9 hours or longer

AND this connection must be the shortest possible option. If there is a 3-hour layover available, but you choose the 13-hour one, you are not eligible for the free transit hotel. This also applies if the shorter connection is fully booked: you still won't get the free hotel if there is a theoretical, but sold out, shorter connection.

If you need a visa to enter Turkey, you need to secure it at your own expense.
TK have a pool of hotels that they contract with, it is unfortunately not possible to know which hotel you'll end up at until you are sitting on the bus. Business class passengeres generally get five star hotels and Economy Class passengers get four star hotels. See the list on the bottom of this wiki for usual locations.

Hotel Desk E-Mail Adress: [email protected] - it's generally not necessary to email them, you can just show up
click here for Hotel Desk location

Click here for full Transit Hotel terms/conditions

STOPOVER HOTEL (different from Transit Hotel):

If you are on a round-trip ticket to-from certain cities/countries (click here for the list) and choose a connection longer than 20 hours, TK will provide one night at a four star hotel for Economy Class tickets and two nights at a five star hotel for Business Class tickets (three nights if traveling to/from USA).

At least 72 hours before your first flight, you must send an e-mail to the address that corresponds to your departure point on the list on this page (click here) and include your

full name
reservation code (PNR) or ticket number
date range for the anticipated accommodation
preferred room type (single, double or triple)
telephone and e-mail address

Visas and transfer to/from the airport are not covered by TK.

Click here for eligible origins/destinations and FAQ

TOURISTANBUL:

If you are on an international connection through IST and your connection time is 6-24 hours, you can take a free guided city tour. You must arrive at the hotel desk at least 30 minutes before the tours are scheduled to depart. After clearing immigration and leaving the baggage claim hall, turn right and go to the hotel desk (for location click here).

Touristanbul schedule and FAQ can be found here.

SLEEPING ROOMS:

Business Class and Elite Plus passengers on connections between 4 hours and 9 hours can get a private sleeping room at the M&S and Business lounges. One of the flights must be longer than eight hours and both need to be on TK, codeshare flights are excluded.

-----------------

Please list the hotel that you were provided, travel class, the Miles&Smiles or Star Alliance status of the passenger, the date, your username below and the post # that you have shared in the thread ( you could find the number at the top right side of your posts ) to create a database of passenger experiences.

For example: XXXXXXX Hotel, Business Class, M&S Elite, DD/MM/YYYY, ISTFlyer, #1

April 2019:
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by dabee69 in post #54
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #79

May 2019:
Green Park Hotel ( Pendik ), IRROPS, reported by zing2istanbul in (post #753 in the TK ops from IST thread)
Crowne Plaza Aqua Florya, Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #91

June 2019:
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by finlandokie in post #169
August 2019:
Akgun Istanbul, economy class, per post 217
November 2019:
Polat/Renaissance, business-class E+ post 285 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31699696-post285.html)
December 2019:
Polat/Renaissance again, business-class E+ post 285

December 2020:
Polat Renaissance, business class E+

January 2021:
Polat Renaissance, business class (No Status)

November 2021:
Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport, economy class (No Status), #537
May 2022 Stopover hotel
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel, business E+

May 2022
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper
Centro by Rotona (transit hotel), Business, *G, Nacho
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel (stopover hotel), business, *G, Nacho

July 2022
Pullman, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper

July 2023
Polat Renaissance, business class, TK-E, iamaho
Sheraton Otel Esenyurt - with dinner included, business class, TK-E, iamaho

September 2023
Pullman, Business, *G, SEA-Flyer
Pullman, Business, no status, SEA-Flyer
LaQuinta by Wyndham, Y E+, DaveS
Sheraton Esenyurt, Business, E+, Jaenks, assigned by my request

October 2023
Ramada Plaza Tekstilkent, Business, TK E, Lefly

Print Wikipost

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Wen Zheng
Sorry. my earlier question is too brief. Whats the pick up and ending point? would it be possible to join the tour at the dinner place (if so, where is it) or leave the tour early (or when we disembark from the cruise). Where is the location for disembarkation?
The pick up and end points for the cruise is Istanbul Airport. You need to be at Istanbul Airport 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time of the tour. The tour doesn't accept join-ins at the middle. However, after the cruise ends at the port ( I don't know where ), you are welcome to leave the tour, however, it would be on your own responsibility or on your own expenses to go back to the airport.

If the schedule does not fit you, you could take the Havaist shuttle to Eminönü and you could take advantage of the Bosphorus Tours over there which runs until 21:00. On the way back, you could retake the Havaist shuttle back to the airport.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:25 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unfortunately, you are not eligible for the free stopover hotel service. If the duration of one of your flights are longer than 8 hours, you could ask for a sleeping room in the Business Lounge or spend the 8h45min layover in the airport.
Did you receive new information since the day you wrote the above on April 5th, and then you updated the wiki to state:
Unfortunately no hotel or sleeping room service is provided to those with a layover between 7 hours and 9 hours traveling in Business Class.
Unless I am confused I think the two statements are contradictory which is why I suspect you thought 2 weeks ago that I could get a sleeping room, but now you have new information and updated the wiki and concluded that I cannot get either?

If true, this policy of having a hole between 7 and 9 hours is terrible (especially for those who booked their flight before the rule change) and I would have never booked this flight if I knew. At the time I booked my flight I was supposed to get free hotel because the old rule was 7 hour layover to get a hotel not 9 hour layover. Under the old rule there was no "hole" between the sleeping room and the hotel. Now it makes no sense.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
Did you receive new information since the day you wrote the above on April 5th, and then you updated the wiki to state:

Unless I am confused I think the two statements are contradictory which is why I suspect you thought 2 weeks ago that I could get a sleeping room, but now you have new information and updated the wiki and concluded that I cannot get either?

If true, this policy of having a hole between 7 and 9 hours is terrible (especially for those who booked their flight before the rule change) and I would have never booked this flight if I knew. At the time I booked my flight I was supposed to get free hotel because the old rule was 7 hour layover to get a hotel not 9 hour layover. Under the old rule there was no "hole" between the sleeping room and the hotel. Now it makes no sense.
Yes, you are right; the first statement is the old information that I have received before the movement ( before TK moved ops to Istanbul Airport )
However, the second statement is the most accurate one. The information that I received on the 6th or the 7th ( after TK moved ops to Istanbul Airport ) was that passengers having a layover between 7h and 9h were being rejected from the sleeping room lobby as they don't qualify for the service. It's true that they changed the hotel layover eligibility rules but they have kept the sleeping room eligibility rules the same. This creates the hole ( 7h to 9h ) which is not good for customer satisfaction.

I was informed by the video in the lounge thread that I posted ( #34 over there ) and also a personal experience by "gr8pirate" verified this ( #49 in the lounge thread ).

Unfortunately, TK is not good at announcing these kind of information to their passengers beforehand. I'm sorry to tell you that you have no option other than to book a hotel room on your own expense or rest on the sleeper sofas ( check #36 at the lounge thread ) at the lounge if you want a solid rest. Personally, I don't think that TK would realize this gap and make a change, however if I have further information, I would share the update in this thread and update the WIKI.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:58 am

Yes, you are right; This creates the hole ( 7h to 9h ) which is not good for customer satisfaction.

Unfortunately, TK is not good at announcing these kind of information to their passengers beforehand. I'm sorry to tell you that you have no option other than to book a hotel room on your own expense or rest on the sleeper sofas ( check #36 at the lounge thread ) at the lounge if you want a solid rest. Personally, I don't think that TK would realize this gap and make a change, however if I have further information, I would share the update in this thread and update the WIKI.
That's terrible treatment to J passengers in between two flights of 10+ hours each with a long layover. But I won't shoot the messenger - thanks for the detailed feedback
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:23 am

After giving it some thought, I think the 7-9 hour hole is disingenuous but it is what it is for people who book a ticket now. You know what you are getting into, buyer beware.

However I booked my ticket back when the rule was free hotel for 7+ hours layover therefore I was promised a hotel room when I booked. I show flexibility by not insisting on a hotel room: I can accept a sleeping room if they won't give me a hotel room. However if it is them who are not being flexible either for the hotel or sleeping room, then I do not think I should just roll over. It is not right to change the rules against the customers after the fact... I will insist in person.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
After giving it some thought, I think the 7-9 hour hole is disingenuous but it is what it is for people who book a ticket now. You know what you are getting into, buyer beware.

However I booked my ticket back when the rule was free hotel for 7+ hours layover therefore I was promised a hotel room when I booked. I show flexibility by not insisting on a hotel room: I can accept a sleeping room if they won't give me a hotel room. However if it is them who are not being flexible either for the hotel or sleeping room, then I do not think I should just roll over. It is not right to change the rules against the customers after the fact... I will insist in person.
Few years ago Emirates changed hold baggage size rules and I remember they changed that after they made public announsment. Because we made booking before that date it didin't affect us. I think TK should make this new rules for all bookings after the big move to new airport.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

By the way, if you have e-mailed the respective hotel desk and got a confirmation e-mail keep it. That might work.
If you were planning to get a hotel room on the spot. Once again, sorry.
These kind of situations are one of the reason that I strictly advise to e-mail the respective hotel desk as soon as tickets are booked and plans are confirmed.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:10 am

By the way, if you have e-mailed the respective hotel desk and got a confirmation e-mail keep it. That might work.
If you were planning to get a hotel room on the spot. Once again, sorry.
These kind of situations are one of the reason that I strictly advise to e-mail the respective hotel desk as soon as tickets are booked and plans are confirmed.
Yes I tried to follow your advice in this thread. I sent 4 e-mails to the hotel desk in the last 3 weeks - all of them ignored, even when I pointed out to them that I was still waiting for an answer and forwarding each of the previous version of the e-mails. So that route has been exhausted I am afraid. I do not think they want to deal with my request and they want me to run out of time or they want me to give up...

I am certainly not as knowledgeable about TK as you are, but right now I am far from impressed based on my limited experience.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Stopover hotel

I had 10h stopover in C today, April 23. Went to the hotel desk. It wasn’t very busy after 6am. Used regular queue-matic and only later noticed the separate C/Elite window. It was unmanned at the time. Prompt boarding pass, long hotel booking time. C and Y in separate buses and different hotels. There were 3 C pax this morning. TK put us in 45km far away Istanbul Polat Renaissance hotel. 40 minute ride...

The bus back to the airport is late. 15 minutes late already. Luckily I still have enough time. Pickup time was set 4h30 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

Shower, 2.5h proper sleep and quite good breakfast omelette.

The minivan is arriving as i finish this post.

Minivan also made stops at notorious Wow hotels after Renaissance. No passenger to pickup. It seems that pickup is list of pre-defined hotels rather than planned route. That seems to be the reason for being 15 minutes late.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.

Last edited by dabee69; Apr 23, 2019 at 3:56 am Reason: Update
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:03 am

passengers having a layover between 7h and 9h were being rejected from the sleeping room lobby as they don't qualify for the service. It's true that they changed the hotel layover eligibility rules but they have kept the sleeping room eligibility rules the same. This creates the hole ( 7h to 9h ) which is not good for customer satisfaction.
Good news: the situation has been rectified. J passengers now qualify for a sleeping room (aka "Private Suites") if they have a layover between 4 and 9 hours, not 4-7 hours. I was given a sleeping room for my 8 hour 45 minutes layover. There was no need for me to argue about a free hotel which I should have received based on the conditions in effect when I booked my ticket several months ago. The new airport is quite far so I can understand the increase from 7 to 9 hours minimum and I would rather have a shower in the lounge and rest in a sleeping room than go to a hotel for a short layover like I had.

I found the sleeping rooms quite nice. The soundproofing is better than in Atatürk, in part because there is carpet in the hallway and there is more insulation in the walls. We can still hear housekeeping talking at times but it is much improved from Atatürk airport. In addition there are more of those private suites than at Atatürk as you can see on the picture. All rooms on the left are sleeping rooms, while on the right it's the showers. If you draw the curtains you have the view of E gates.

Unlike in Atatürk we now get a key card to come in and out of our sleeping room as we wish. This is far more convenient. ^

Also I found the internet connection workable, much better than in the old Atatürk lounge.

Overall I was very pleased and I will not hesitate to book a flight with a long layover again since I was able to have a decent few hours of sleep in there.

This does not excuse not answering my 4 e-mails to [email protected] about the free hotel and not answering to my "feedback form" as I was instructed to fill out on the website. In total I filled out three forms and called customer service 5 times for follow-ups once I had a case reference number; they told me that's how it needs to be done (cannot just talk to customer service without these forms). They told me it would be given high priority but the only responses I got back by e-mail were the useless "the new rule is 9 hours so no hotel for you", completely disregarding my comments about the rule in place at the time I booked my flight and the fact that I was not going to get a sleeping room in the lounge (the so called hole between 7 and 9 hours). So the end result was good, but customer service has proven to me that they are awful.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good news: the situation has been rectified. J passengers now qualify for a sleeping room (aka "Private Suites") if they have a layover between 4 and 9 hours, not 4-7 hours. I was given a sleeping room for my 8 hour 45 minutes layover. There was no need for me to argue about a free hotel which I should have received based on the conditions in effect when I booked my ticket several months ago. The new airport is quite far so I can understand the increase from 7 to 9 hours minimum and I would rather have a shower in the lounge and rest in a sleeping room than go to a hotel for a short layover like I had.

I found the sleeping rooms quite nice. The soundproofing is better than in Atatürk, in part because there is carpet in the hallway and there is more insulation in the walls. We can still hear housekeeping talking at times but it is much improved from Atatürk airport. In addition there are more of those private suites than at Atatürk as you can see on the picture. All rooms on the left are sleeping rooms, while on the right it's the showers. If you draw the curtains you have the view of E gates.

Unlike in Atatürk we now get a key card to come in and out of our sleeping room as we wish. This is far more convenient. ^

Also I found the internet connection workable, much better than in the old Atatürk lounge.

Overall I was very pleased and I will not hesitate to book a flight with a long layover again since I was able to have a decent few hours of sleep in there.

This does not excuse not answering my 4 e-mails to [email protected] about the free hotel and not answering to my "feedback form" as I was instructed to fill out on the website. In total I filled out three forms and called customer service 5 times for follow-ups once I had a case reference number; they told me that's how it needs to be done (cannot just talk to customer service without these forms). They told me it would be given high priority but the only responses I got back by e-mail were the useless "the new rule is 9 hours so no hotel for you", completely disregarding my comments about the rule in place at the time I booked my flight and the fact that I was not going to get a sleeping room in the lounge (the so called hole between 7 and 9 hours). So the end result was good, but customer service has proven to me that they are awful.
Thanks for reporting back. I am updating the WIKI according to your experience.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:48 pm

Hi,

I am bit confused wrt the sleeping room rules. If I have an 10 hr layover, and I choose not to partake in TK's hotel offer, I am not allowed to use the sleeping rooms in the lounges?

If so, is this to manage the inventory of rooms?

Thanks.

Last edited by HWN33; Apr 23, 2019 at 12:49 pm Reason: remove signature
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by HWN33
Hi,

I am bit confused wrt the sleeping room rules. If I have an 10 hr layover, and I choose not to partake in TK's hotel offer, I am not allowed to use the sleeping rooms in the lounges?

If so, is this to manage the inventory of rooms?

Thanks.
yes, 10h layover does not qualify for a sleeping room. It’s probably to discourage folks who could go to a hotel from staying in a sleeping room.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:26 pm

Thanks max_kolesne. I understand the intent but the alternative, or at least one of the alternatives is to accept their hotel offer for long layovers. This requires entering Turkey and in order to do so, pay for e-visas for each member a travelling party. These e-visas are up to US$60 per person. An interesting cost/benefit debate.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HWN33
Thanks max_kolesne. I understand the intent but the alternative, or at least one of the alternatives is to accept their hotel offer for long layovers. This requires entering Turkey and in order to do so, pay for e-visas for each member a travelling party. These e-visas are up to US$60 per person. An interesting cost/benefit debate.
If you're more than 3 people, consider booking the YOTEL which would be cheaper if your nationality requires a e-visa that cost $60 pp. For a 10 hour layover, 8 hours of the YOTEL would cost €135 + %8 KDV ( VAT ) which could be cheaper than buying a visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.