Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #3 - Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 5, 19, 6:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
Wiki Link
This thread is created for long connections in Istanbul Airport for TK connecting passengers within Istanbul Airport. Passengers having a shorter connection are not eligible for the stopover hotel service, the city tour and the sleeping rooms should refer to the respective forum. For transfers within SAW to SAW, please refer to the respective forum as well.

Before asking your specific question, please read the WIKI as it would answer all the frequently asked questions which might answer yours as well.

Stopover Hotel

After the movement, TK has increased the minimum layover times for their free stopover hotel in Istanbul Airport. Passengers in Business Class could benefit from this service if their connection is 9 hours or longer; passengers in Economy Class could benefit from this service if their connection is 12 hours or longer. Just be aware that if your destination ( airport ) could be reached by a shorter connection at the same date of departure, you won't be eligible for the service. Even though, if the shorter connection option is not available for ticketing ( for example one of the flight is fully booked ) and you have booked a longer connection than the respective time period, you won't be eligible for the hotel service. The minimum stopover time is calculated on an airport to airport base; so you could benefit from the stopover service if the shorter connection than the respective time is to another airport than the longer connection. ( For example, you would be eligible for the hotel service if you have booked a Gatwick flight with no shorter connection being than the minimum connection time; however there is a shorter connection option to Heathrow ) Also this is a reminder that the stopover hotel service is only allowed for international-international transfers, domestic transfer passengers can't benefit from this service. It is strictly advised to e-mail the respective e-mail before your travel to secure your spot; however, it's not mandatory.

Be aware that some nationalities may require an e-visa or a consulate issued visa to enter Turkey; the visa should be purchased on the passenger's own expense.

Also be informed that the hotel desk is located in the arrivals hall, on your right side after leaving the international baggage claim area.
Be aware that, in most circumstances, the free hotel service would not be provided at the airport hotel ( YOTEL ) both in the landside and in the airside, so passengers would be provided a shuttle service to their hotels which could take up to 30-45 minutes depending on the hotel.

Hotel Desk E-Mail Adress: [email protected]

You could also find more details and local e-mail addresses by clicking here and here

Touristanbul:

From the 14th of April, the Touristanbul service would continue to be served from Istanbul Airport. Simply, you need to clear immigration and turn right and go to the Touristanbul desk. Passengers with a minimum of 6-hour stopover and a maximum 24-hour stopover could benefit from these free city tours. Only one passenger could benefit from one tour for each connection.
Currently, the tour does not accept online reservations so there are no options other than to present your boarding passes to the respective desk.
For the schedule of Touristanbul please click here.

Sleeping Rooms:

As far as we know, there would be sleeping rooms both in the Miles&Smiles Lounge and the Business Lounge in Istanbul Airport.

Passengers only with a connection between 4 hours and 9 hours could benefit from the sleeping room service. There is a condition that the duration of one of the flights should be more than 8 hours to benefit from the service. Just be aware that this service is only available if both legs are operated by Turkish Airlines ( codeshare flights are excluded ) and if the passenger is traveling on Business Class or holding Elite Plus status on Miles&Smiles. Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold cardholders traveling in Economy Class can not benefit from this service.

According to experiences shared in this thread; please list the hotel that you were provided, travel class, the Miles&Smiles or Star Alliance status of the passenger, the date, your username below and the post # that you have shared in the thread ( you could find the number at the top right side of your posts ) to create a database of passenger experiences.

For example: XXXXXXX Hotel, Business Class, M&S Elite, DD/MM/YYYY, ISTFlyer, #1


April 2019:

Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by dabee69 in post #54
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #79

May 2019:

Green Park Hotel ( Pendik ), IRROPS, reported by zing2istanbul in (post #753 in the TK ops from IST thread)
Crowne Plaza Aqua Florya, Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #91
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Apr 21, 19, 9:04 am
  #46  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, TK M&S Elite, KE SkyPass Club, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCAccor Clsc, HHonours Blue
Posts: 864
Originally Posted by Wen Zheng View Post
Sorry. my earlier question is too brief. Whats the pick up and ending point? would it be possible to join the tour at the dinner place (if so, where is it) or leave the tour early (or when we disembark from the cruise). Where is the location for disembarkation?
The pick up and end points for the cruise is Istanbul Airport. You need to be at Istanbul Airport 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time of the tour. The tour doesn't accept join-ins at the middle. However, after the cruise ends at the port ( I don't know where ), you are welcome to leave the tour, however, it would be on your own responsibility or on your own expenses to go back to the airport.

If the schedule does not fit you, you could take the Havaist shuttle to Eminönü and you could take advantage of the Bosphorus Tours over there which runs until 21:00. On the way back, you could retake the Havaist shuttle back to the airport.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 19, 12:25 am
  #47  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,845
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Unfortunately, you are not eligible for the free stopover hotel service. If the duration of one of your flights are longer than 8 hours, you could ask for a sleeping room in the Business Lounge or spend the 8h45min layover in the airport.
Did you receive new information since the day you wrote the above on April 5th, and then you updated the wiki to state:
Unfortunately no hotel or sleeping room service is provided to those with a layover between 7 hours and 9 hours traveling in Business Class.
Unless I am confused I think the two statements are contradictory which is why I suspect you thought 2 weeks ago that I could get a sleeping room, but now you have new information and updated the wiki and concluded that I cannot get either?

If true, this policy of having a hole between 7 and 9 hours is terrible (especially for those who booked their flight before the rule change) and I would have never booked this flight if I knew. At the time I booked my flight I was supposed to get free hotel because the old rule was 7 hour layover to get a hotel not 9 hour layover. Under the old rule there was no "hole" between the sleeping room and the hotel. Now it makes no sense.
escape4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 19, 12:49 am
  #48  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, TK M&S Elite, KE SkyPass Club, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCAccor Clsc, HHonours Blue
Posts: 864
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Did you receive new information since the day you wrote the above on April 5th, and then you updated the wiki to state:


Unless I am confused I think the two statements are contradictory which is why I suspect you thought 2 weeks ago that I could get a sleeping room, but now you have new information and updated the wiki and concluded that I cannot get either?

If true, this policy of having a hole between 7 and 9 hours is terrible (especially for those who booked their flight before the rule change) and I would have never booked this flight if I knew. At the time I booked my flight I was supposed to get free hotel because the old rule was 7 hour layover to get a hotel not 9 hour layover. Under the old rule there was no "hole" between the sleeping room and the hotel. Now it makes no sense.
Yes, you are right; the first statement is the old information that I have received before the movement ( before TK moved ops to Istanbul Airport )
However, the second statement is the most accurate one. The information that I received on the 6th or the 7th ( after TK moved ops to Istanbul Airport ) was that passengers having a layover between 7h and 9h were being rejected from the sleeping room lobby as they don't qualify for the service. It's true that they changed the hotel layover eligibility rules but they have kept the sleeping room eligibility rules the same. This creates the hole ( 7h to 9h ) which is not good for customer satisfaction.

I was informed by the video in the lounge thread that I posted ( #34 over there ) and also a personal experience by "gr8pirate" verified this ( #49 in the lounge thread ).

Unfortunately, TK is not good at announcing these kind of information to their passengers beforehand. I'm sorry to tell you that you have no option other than to book a hotel room on your own expense or rest on the sleeper sofas ( check #36 at the lounge thread ) at the lounge if you want a solid rest. Personally, I don't think that TK would realize this gap and make a change, however if I have further information, I would share the update in this thread and update the WIKI.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:58 am
  #49  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,845
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Yes, you are right; This creates the hole ( 7h to 9h ) which is not good for customer satisfaction.

Unfortunately, TK is not good at announcing these kind of information to their passengers beforehand. I'm sorry to tell you that you have no option other than to book a hotel room on your own expense or rest on the sleeper sofas ( check #36 at the lounge thread ) at the lounge if you want a solid rest. Personally, I don't think that TK would realize this gap and make a change, however if I have further information, I would share the update in this thread and update the WIKI.
That's terrible treatment to J passengers in between two flights of 10+ hours each with a long layover. But I won't shoot the messenger - thanks for the detailed feedback
escape4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:23 am
  #50  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,845
After giving it some thought, I think the 7-9 hour hole is disingenuous but it is what it is for people who book a ticket now. You know what you are getting into, buyer beware.

However I booked my ticket back when the rule was free hotel for 7+ hours layover therefore I was promised a hotel room when I booked. I show flexibility by not insisting on a hotel room: I can accept a sleeping room if they won't give me a hotel room. However if it is them who are not being flexible either for the hotel or sleeping room, then I do not think I should just roll over. It is not right to change the rules against the customers after the fact... I will insist in person.
escape4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 19, 5:18 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
After giving it some thought, I think the 7-9 hour hole is disingenuous but it is what it is for people who book a ticket now. You know what you are getting into, buyer beware.

However I booked my ticket back when the rule was free hotel for 7+ hours layover therefore I was promised a hotel room when I booked. I show flexibility by not insisting on a hotel room: I can accept a sleeping room if they won't give me a hotel room. However if it is them who are not being flexible either for the hotel or sleeping room, then I do not think I should just roll over. It is not right to change the rules against the customers after the fact... I will insist in person.
Few years ago Emirates changed hold baggage size rules and I remember they changed that after they made public announsment. Because we made booking before that date it didin't affect us. I think TK should make this new rules for all bookings after the big move to new airport.
TM78 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:16 am
  #52  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, TK M&S Elite, KE SkyPass Club, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCAccor Clsc, HHonours Blue
Posts: 864
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
After giving it some thought, I think the 7-9 hour hole is disingenuous but it is what it is for people who book a ticket now. You know what you are getting into, buyer beware.

However I booked my ticket back when the rule was free hotel for 7+ hours layover therefore I was promised a hotel room when I booked. I show flexibility by not insisting on a hotel room: I can accept a sleeping room if they won't give me a hotel room. However if it is them who are not being flexible either for the hotel or sleeping room, then I do not think I should just roll over. It is not right to change the rules against the customers after the fact... I will insist in person.
By the way, if you have e-mailed the respective hotel desk and got a confirmation e-mail keep it. That might work.
If you were planning to get a hotel room on the spot. Once again, sorry.
These kind of situations are one of the reason that I strictly advise to e-mail the respective hotel desk as soon as tickets are booked and plans are confirmed.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:10 am
  #53  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,845
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
By the way, if you have e-mailed the respective hotel desk and got a confirmation e-mail keep it. That might work.
If you were planning to get a hotel room on the spot. Once again, sorry.
These kind of situations are one of the reason that I strictly advise to e-mail the respective hotel desk as soon as tickets are booked and plans are confirmed.
Yes I tried to follow your advice in this thread. I sent 4 e-mails to the hotel desk in the last 3 weeks - all of them ignored, even when I pointed out to them that I was still waiting for an answer and forwarding each of the previous version of the e-mails. So that route has been exhausted I am afraid. I do not think they want to deal with my request and they want me to run out of time or they want me to give up...

I am certainly not as knowledgeable about TK as you are, but right now I am far from impressed based on my limited experience.
escape4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 2:21 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: RIX
Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, TK*G Elite+, HHonors Diamond, Club Carslon Silver, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold,
Posts: 1,051
Stopover hotel

I had 10h stopover in C today, April 23. Went to the hotel desk. It wasn’t very busy after 6am. Used regular queue-matic and only later noticed the separate C/Elite window. It was unmanned at the time. Prompt boarding pass, long hotel booking time. C and Y in separate buses and different hotels. There were 3 C pax this morning. TK put us in 45km far away Istanbul Polat Renaissance hotel. 40 minute ride...

The bus back to the airport is late. 15 minutes late already. Luckily I still have enough time. Pickup time was set 4h30 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

Shower, 2.5h proper sleep and quite good breakfast omelette.

The minivan is arriving as i finish this post.

Minivan also made stops at notorious Wow hotels after Renaissance. No passenger to pickup. It seems that pickup is list of pre-defined hotels rather than planned route. That seems to be the reason for being 15 minutes late.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.

Last edited by dabee69; Apr 23, 19 at 3:56 am Reason: Update
dabee69 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:03 am
  #55  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,845
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
passengers having a layover between 7h and 9h were being rejected from the sleeping room lobby as they don't qualify for the service. It's true that they changed the hotel layover eligibility rules but they have kept the sleeping room eligibility rules the same. This creates the hole ( 7h to 9h ) which is not good for customer satisfaction.
Good news: the situation has been rectified. J passengers now qualify for a sleeping room (aka "Private Suites") if they have a layover between 4 and 9 hours, not 4-7 hours. I was given a sleeping room for my 8 hour 45 minutes layover. There was no need for me to argue about a free hotel which I should have received based on the conditions in effect when I booked my ticket several months ago. The new airport is quite far so I can understand the increase from 7 to 9 hours minimum and I would rather have a shower in the lounge and rest in a sleeping room than go to a hotel for a short layover like I had.

I found the sleeping rooms quite nice. The soundproofing is better than in Atatürk, in part because there is carpet in the hallway and there is more insulation in the walls. We can still hear housekeeping talking at times but it is much improved from Atatürk airport. In addition there are more of those private suites than at Atatürk as you can see on the picture. All rooms on the left are sleeping rooms, while on the right it's the showers. If you draw the curtains you have the view of E gates.







Unlike in Atatürk we now get a key card to come in and out of our sleeping room as we wish. This is far more convenient.

Also I found the internet connection workable, much better than in the old Atatürk lounge.



Overall I was very pleased and I will not hesitate to book a flight with a long layover again since I was able to have a decent few hours of sleep in there.

This does not excuse not answering my 4 e-mails to [email protected] about the free hotel and not answering to my "feedback form" as I was instructed to fill out on the website. In total I filled out three forms and called customer service 5 times for follow-ups once I had a case reference number; they told me that's how it needs to be done (cannot just talk to customer service without these forms). They told me it would be given high priority but the only responses I got back by e-mail were the useless "the new rule is 9 hours so no hotel for you", completely disregarding my comments about the rule in place at the time I booked my flight and the fact that I was not going to get a sleeping room in the lounge (the so called hole between 7 and 9 hours). So the end result was good, but customer service has proven to me that they are awful.
escape4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:15 am
  #56  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, TK M&S Elite, KE SkyPass Club, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCAccor Clsc, HHonours Blue
Posts: 864
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Good news: the situation has been rectified. J passengers now qualify for a sleeping room (aka "Private Suites") if they have a layover between 4 and 9 hours, not 4-7 hours. I was given a sleeping room for my 8 hour 45 minutes layover. There was no need for me to argue about a free hotel which I should have received based on the conditions in effect when I booked my ticket several months ago. The new airport is quite far so I can understand the increase from 7 to 9 hours minimum and I would rather have a shower in the lounge and rest in a sleeping room than go to a hotel for a short layover like I had.

I found the sleeping rooms quite nice. The soundproofing is better than in Atatürk, in part because there is carpet in the hallway and there is more insulation in the walls. We can still hear housekeeping talking at times but it is much improved from Atatürk airport. In addition there are more of those private suites than at Atatürk as you can see on the picture. All rooms on the left are sleeping rooms, while on the right it's the showers. If you draw the curtains you have the view of E gates.







Unlike in Atatürk we now get a key card to come in and out of our sleeping room as we wish. This is far more convenient.

Also I found the internet connection workable, much better than in the old Atatürk lounge.



Overall I was very pleased and I will not hesitate to book a flight with a long layover again since I was able to have a decent few hours of sleep in there.

This does not excuse not answering my 4 e-mails to [email protected] about the free hotel and not answering to my "feedback form" as I was instructed to fill out on the website. In total I filled out three forms and called customer service 5 times for follow-ups once I had a case reference number; they told me that's how it needs to be done (cannot just talk to customer service without these forms). They told me it would be given high priority but the only responses I got back by e-mail were the useless "the new rule is 9 hours so no hotel for you", completely disregarding my comments about the rule in place at the time I booked my flight and the fact that I was not going to get a sleeping room in the lounge (the so called hole between 7 and 9 hours). So the end result was good, but customer service has proven to me that they are awful.
Thanks for reporting back. I am updating the WIKI according to your experience.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:48 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23
Hi,

I am bit confused wrt the sleeping room rules. If I have an 10 hr layover, and I choose not to partake in TK's hotel offer, I am not allowed to use the sleeping rooms in the lounges?

If so, is this to manage the inventory of rooms?

Thanks.

Last edited by HWN33; Apr 23, 19 at 12:49 pm Reason: remove signature
HWN33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:58 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 94
Originally Posted by HWN33 View Post
Hi,

I am bit confused wrt the sleeping room rules. If I have an 10 hr layover, and I choose not to partake in TK's hotel offer, I am not allowed to use the sleeping rooms in the lounges?

If so, is this to manage the inventory of rooms?

Thanks.
yes, 10h layover does not qualify for a sleeping room. It’s probably to discourage folks who could go to a hotel from staying in a sleeping room.
ISTFlyer likes this.
max_kolesne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 2:26 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23
Thanks max_kolesne. I understand the intent but the alternative, or at least one of the alternatives is to accept their hotel offer for long layovers. This requires entering Turkey and in order to do so, pay for e-visas for each member a travelling party. These e-visas are up to US$60 per person. An interesting cost/benefit debate.
HWN33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 19, 2:31 pm
  #60  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, TK M&S Elite, KE SkyPass Club, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCAccor Clsc, HHonours Blue
Posts: 864
Originally Posted by HWN33 View Post
Thanks max_kolesne. I understand the intent but the alternative, or at least one of the alternatives is to accept their hotel offer for long layovers. This requires entering Turkey and in order to do so, pay for e-visas for each member a travelling party. These e-visas are up to US$60 per person. An interesting cost/benefit debate.
If you're more than 3 people, consider booking the YOTEL which would be cheaper if your nationality requires a e-visa that cost $60 pp. For a 10 hour layover, 8 hours of the YOTEL would cost €135 + %8 KDV ( VAT ) which could be cheaper than buying a visa.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread