Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lefly
This thread is created for passengers with long connections in Istanbul Airport for TK.

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI CAREFULLY (especially the hotel fine print) before posting questions.

TRANSIT HOTEL (different from Stopover hotel):

TK will provide a free hotel to international transfer passengers at IST if:

- Economy Class ticket: connecting time is 12 hours or longer
- Business Class ticket: connecting time is 9 hours or longer

AND this connection must be the shortest possible option. If there is a 3-hour layover available, but you choose the 13-hour one, you are not eligible for the free transit hotel. This also applies if the shorter connection is fully booked: you still won't get the free hotel if there is a theoretical, but sold out, shorter connection.

If you need a visa to enter Turkey, you need to secure it at your own expense.
TK have a pool of hotels that they contract with, it is unfortunately not possible to know which hotel you'll end up at until you are sitting on the bus. Business class passengeres generally get five star hotels and Economy Class passengers get four star hotels. See the list on the bottom of this wiki for usual locations.

Hotel Desk E-Mail Adress: [email protected] - it's generally not necessary to email them, you can just show up
click here for Hotel Desk location

Click here for full Transit Hotel terms/conditions

STOPOVER HOTEL (different from Transit Hotel):

If you are on a round-trip ticket to-from certain cities/countries (click here for the list) and choose a connection longer than 20 hours, TK will provide one night at a four star hotel for Economy Class tickets and two nights at a five star hotel for Business Class tickets (three nights if traveling to/from USA).

At least 72 hours before your first flight, you must send an e-mail to the address that corresponds to your departure point on the list on this page (click here) and include your

full name
reservation code (PNR) or ticket number
date range for the anticipated accommodation
preferred room type (single, double or triple)
telephone and e-mail address

Visas and transfer to/from the airport are not covered by TK.

Click here for eligible origins/destinations and FAQ

TOURISTANBUL:

If you are on an international connection through IST and your connection time is 6-24 hours, you can take a free guided city tour. You must arrive at the hotel desk at least 30 minutes before the tours are scheduled to depart. After clearing immigration and leaving the baggage claim hall, turn right and go to the hotel desk (for location click here).

Touristanbul schedule and FAQ can be found here.

SLEEPING ROOMS:

Business Class and Elite Plus passengers on connections between 4 hours and 9 hours can get a private sleeping room at the M&S and Business lounges. One of the flights must be longer than eight hours and both need to be on TK, codeshare flights are excluded.

-----------------

Please list the hotel that you were provided, travel class, the Miles&Smiles or Star Alliance status of the passenger, the date, your username below and the post # that you have shared in the thread ( you could find the number at the top right side of your posts ) to create a database of passenger experiences.

For example: XXXXXXX Hotel, Business Class, M&S Elite, DD/MM/YYYY, ISTFlyer, #1

April 2019:
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by dabee69 in post #54
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #79

May 2019:
Green Park Hotel ( Pendik ), IRROPS, reported by zing2istanbul in (post #753 in the TK ops from IST thread)
Crowne Plaza Aqua Florya, Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #91

June 2019:
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by finlandokie in post #169
August 2019:
Akgun Istanbul, economy class, per post 217
November 2019:
Polat/Renaissance, business-class E+ post 285 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31699696-post285.html)
December 2019:
Polat/Renaissance again, business-class E+ post 285

December 2020:
Polat Renaissance, business class E+

January 2021:
Polat Renaissance, business class (No Status)

November 2021:
Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport, economy class (No Status), #537
May 2022 Stopover hotel
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel, business E+

May 2022
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper
Centro by Rotona (transit hotel), Business, *G, Nacho
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel (stopover hotel), business, *G, Nacho

July 2022
Pullman, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper

July 2023
Polat Renaissance, business class, TK-E, iamaho
Sheraton Otel Esenyurt - with dinner included, business class, TK-E, iamaho

September 2023
Pullman, Business, *G, SEA-Flyer
Pullman, Business, no status, SEA-Flyer
LaQuinta by Wyndham, Y E+, DaveS
Sheraton Esenyurt, Business, E+, Jaenks, assigned by my request

October 2023
Ramada Plaza Tekstilkent, Business, TK E, Lefly

Print Wikipost

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
From what I understand from this thread is that one has to email [email protected] in advance to get a room. I emailed them and got this response with my itinerary below that and my transit time highlighted in green...

-----------
Dear Piper,

Unfortunately pre-booking is not possible. Passengers must contact with hotel desk when they arrive to the airport.

-------------

What do I do now?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
From what I understand from this thread is that one has to email [email protected] in advance to get a room. I emailed them and got this response with my itinerary below that and my transit time highlighted in green...

-----------
Dear Piper,

Unfortunately pre-booking is not possible. Passengers must contact with hotel desk when they arrive to the airport.

-------------

What do I do now?
Emailing the hotel desk before is advised, but not mandatory. I never did this. I always went to the hotel desk when I landed in IST and they gave me a hotel on the spot. You should be fine as long as your connection qualifies for the layover hotel.
PiperAtGatesofDawn likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, Marriott Platinum... Previously AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador
Hi everyone, I want to confirm some logistics. I am flying from AUH->ISL->ATH for a 13 hour layover during the day time and intend to check out the city.

Therefore I should:
1. Get boarding pass for AUH->ISL, & ISL->ATH, in AUH if possible (checked luggage is expected to check all the way through to final destination ATH as layover is <24hours, therefore I should be able to get the ISL->ATH boarding pass)
2. Arrive at ISL and go straight to passport control (and NOT transiting passengers)
3. Tour around Istanbul
4a. Arrive back at ISL and go directly to security if I already have the ISL->ATH boarding pass
4b. If I am not able to get my ISL->ATH boarding pass in AUH, then I should go to the check in counter and get my boarding pass
5. Head to international departures

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: TG*G
I travelled through Istanbul on Wednesday morning on my way from Taipei to Accra in business. The transfer time was scheduled for 9 hours 15 minutes which technically meant that I wasn't eligible for a sleep room in the lounge. With this in mind, I thought I'd give the hotel option a try even though my flight was 35 mins late landing (and took another 30 or so to get to the gate from the runway). Coming through the airport wasn't difficult and I was landside within about 20 mins even though the signage wasn't clear. There is a fast track for business class Turkish flights though there is no Turkish Airlines branding on it (it is signed as 'fast track').

To get to the hotels desk, go through immigration, the baggage hall and customs. On exiting, you need to turn right and walk past all the hotel/tour desks to the end. There, you get a ticket and speak to an agent (there's no separate queue for business class passengers). I was there before a queue formed but after, I would guess it was at least a 20 min wait to see the desk. From there, it was a long wait for the hotel confirmation and bus to the hotel.

It's unclear where you should wait after handing over your boarding pass and waiting for the confirmation but there is a seating area about 20 metres away near the long escalator. The staff come over and collect you from there when your bus is ready.

Departing the airport at 7:15, we arrived at the Renaissance Polat just after 8. Traffic on a Wednesday wasn't bad.

With my flight departing at 14:40, they wanted me to take the the 10:00 Turkish Airlines shuttle back to the airport which would have been far too little time at the hotel. There was a hotel run shuttle an hour later that was bookable for 7 euros that gave me an extra hour at the hotel. The shuttles seem to run fairly irregularly but are clearly posted. Free breakfast was offered and for the others with later departures back to the airport, a voucher for lunch was provided.

The hotel is in good shape and had a very comfortable, clean and modern room. It is in a quiet neighbourhood just south of the old airport. I got a run in on the coast path that goes for 5km starting from the foot of the hotel towards the south-west. Lots of walkers out as well and there were a few restaurants/cafes on the sea front.

All in all, I likely wouldn't do this again on a connection of less than 10 hours given the hassle getting to the hotel. 10 hours and above and its a great option.

On a side note, when I got to the lounge, the internet wasn't working and didn't work for the two hours I was there. The usual back up option of airport wifi wasn't possible since it seems that you need a Turkish SIM to receive the SMS to activate access. I missed two meetings which was annoying but the excellent food selection took the sting off a little!
l380, transportprof, DaveS and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Has anyone been able to get a sleeping room despite having a layover that’s above the limit? Considering my late arrival and early departure next week I’d rather not have to do immigration, security, bus transfer, hotel desk wait as it won’t leave much time for rest. Another potential fly in the ointment is the general strike in Argentina...
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cager
Hi everyone, I want to confirm some logistics. I am flying from AUH->ISL->ATH for a 13 hour layover during the day time and intend to check out the city.

Therefore I should:
1. Get boarding pass for AUH->ISL, & ISL->ATH, in AUH if possible (checked luggage is expected to check all the way through to final destination ATH as layover is <24hours, therefore I should be able to get the ISL->ATH boarding pass)
2. Arrive at ISL and go straight to passport control (and NOT transiting passengers)
3. Tour around Istanbul
4a. Arrive back at ISL and go directly to security if I already have the ISL->ATH boarding pass
4b. If I am not able to get my ISL->ATH boarding pass in AUH, then I should go to the check in counter and get my boarding pass
5. Head to international departures

Thanks!
The logistics that you have provided would suit you. I don't see any problem.
cager likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmi_Barry

To get to the hotels desk, go through immigration, the baggage hall and customs. On exiting, you need to turn right and walk past all the hotel/tour desks to the end. There, you get a ticket and speak to an agent (there's no separate queue for business class passengers). I was there before a queue formed but after, I would guess it was at least a 20 min wait to see the desk. From there, it was a long wait for the hotel confirmation and bus to the hotel....

It's unclear where you should wait after handing over your boarding pass and waiting for the confirmation but there is a seating area about 20 metres away near the long escalator. The staff come over and collect you from there when your bus is ready....
Great information!
2 questions :

1. when you write "get a ticket" above, what kind of ticket are you referring to. Where/who do you get this ticket from?

2. How long between handing in your boarding pass and having them come and get you with the hotel reservation and vouchers when the transfer bus is ready?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Great information!
2 questions :

1. when you write "get a ticket" above, what kind of ticket are you referring to. Where/who do you get this ticket from?

2. How long between handing in your boarding pass and having them come and get you with the hotel reservation and vouchers when the transfer bus is ready?
First of all, thanks @bmi_Barry for this detailed report. Very helpful!
Although I fully agree the Renaissance Polat is a great hotel and I always loved staying there on my layovers, I would hope that TK will come up with hotels closer to the new airport for these connections of around 9-12 hours.
Having only 2 hours at the hotel on a 9 hour layover doesn't make sense.

@transportprof, I think "ticket" here means hotel voucher. At least that's what I always got at the Hotel desk.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: TG*G
Great information!
2 questions :

No problem - happy to help.

By 'ticket', I mean the queue number.

Between handing over my boarding pass to being called for the bus to the hotel was 45 to 50 mins. We were delayed by the group of smokers that had to be found before we could go - in total, it was just over an hour before the bus departed. This does seem a bit excessively long and I wonder if it is partly due to the hotel being so much further from the new airport compared to the old. They don't want to send a bus with one or two passengers so they wait longer for a bigger group?

I agree with SFO Traveller - it would be better if there was a closer option, especially if it is near good public transport into the city. That would kill two birds with one stone by being attractive for shorter and longer layovers.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Waiting ticket has a number on it, you go see the desk when your number comes up.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:50 pm

found it
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, Marriott Platinum... Previously AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador
Can anyone who has recently gone on the Touristanbul tour from the new airport confirm the following?
This is from the Touristanbul FAQ website (https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-c...faq/index.html)

"Is there a baggage room for our belongings while we are in Touristanbul?

There is baggage custody office next to Hotel Desk with a service fee. You may check the conditions and prices. If requested, Touristanbul participants can leave their baggage (unless they are electronics or precious items) to the assigned tour shuttles at their own risk. In this case Turkish Airlines is not responsible for any lost and damaged items."

Can anyone confirm whether there is indeed a baggage custody office next to the Hotel Desk?

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
With my flight departing at 14:40, they wanted me to take the the 10:00 Turkish Airlines shuttle back to the airport which would have been far too little time at the hotel. There was a hotel run shuttle an hour later that was bookable for 7 euros that gave me an extra hour at the hotel. The shuttles seem to run fairly irregularly but are clearly posted. Free breakfast was offered and for the others with later departures back to the airport, a voucher for lunch was provided.

The hotel is in good shape and had a very comfortable, clean and modern room. It is in a quiet neighbourhood just south of the old airport. I got a run in on the coast path that goes for 5km starting from the foot of the hotel towards the south-west. Lots of walkers out as well and there were a few restaurants/cafes on the sea front.

All in all, I likely wouldn't do this again on a connection of less than 10 hours given the hassle getting to the hotel. 10 hours and above and its a great option.
Thanks for the detailed summary! My upcoming transit is also just under 10 hours.... Perhaps I will stay in the airport or join the Tour Istanbul instead.

Btw, did you manage to request Renaissance to credit your "2 hours stay" to your Marriott account?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by l380
Btw, did you manage to request Renaissance to credit your "2 hours stay" to your Marriott account?
That never worked for me, since it is technically TK's booking, not your own booking.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
No problem - happy to help.

By 'ticket', I mean the queue number.

Between handing over my boarding pass to being called for the bus to the hotel was 45 to 50 mins. We were delayed by the group of smokers that had to be found before we could go - in total, it was just over an hour before the bus departed. This does seem a bit excessively long and I wonder if it is partly due to the hotel being so much further from the new airport compared to the old. They don't want to send a bus with one or two passengers so they wait longer for a bigger group?
This is the part I miss about the old airport. I did TPE-IST-YYZ 2 years ago, I was able to get to hotel desk, immediately they gave me the voucher and sent me off to Polat.

Half hour after the gate opened I was laying on the bed (that was a record for me from arrival-to-bed).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.