Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lefly
This thread is created for passengers with long connections in Istanbul Airport for TK.

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI CAREFULLY (especially the hotel fine print) before posting questions.

TRANSIT HOTEL (different from Stopover hotel):

TK will provide a free hotel to international transfer passengers at IST if:

- Economy Class ticket: connecting time is 12 hours or longer
- Business Class ticket: connecting time is 9 hours or longer

AND this connection must be the shortest possible option. If there is a 3-hour layover available, but you choose the 13-hour one, you are not eligible for the free transit hotel. This also applies if the shorter connection is fully booked: you still won't get the free hotel if there is a theoretical, but sold out, shorter connection.

If you need a visa to enter Turkey, you need to secure it at your own expense.
TK have a pool of hotels that they contract with, it is unfortunately not possible to know which hotel you'll end up at until you are sitting on the bus. Business class passengeres generally get five star hotels and Economy Class passengers get four star hotels. See the list on the bottom of this wiki for usual locations.

Hotel Desk E-Mail Adress: [email protected] - it's generally not necessary to email them, you can just show up
click here for Hotel Desk location

Click here for full Transit Hotel terms/conditions

STOPOVER HOTEL (different from Transit Hotel):

If you are on a round-trip ticket to-from certain cities/countries (click here for the list) and choose a connection longer than 20 hours, TK will provide one night at a four star hotel for Economy Class tickets and two nights at a five star hotel for Business Class tickets (three nights if traveling to/from USA).

At least 72 hours before your first flight, you must send an e-mail to the address that corresponds to your departure point on the list on this page (click here) and include your

full name
reservation code (PNR) or ticket number
date range for the anticipated accommodation
preferred room type (single, double or triple)
telephone and e-mail address

Visas and transfer to/from the airport are not covered by TK.

Click here for eligible origins/destinations and FAQ

TOURISTANBUL:

If you are on an international connection through IST and your connection time is 6-24 hours, you can take a free guided city tour. You must arrive at the hotel desk at least 30 minutes before the tours are scheduled to depart. After clearing immigration and leaving the baggage claim hall, turn right and go to the hotel desk (for location click here).

Touristanbul schedule and FAQ can be found here.

SLEEPING ROOMS:

Business Class and Elite Plus passengers on connections between 4 hours and 9 hours can get a private sleeping room at the M&S and Business lounges. One of the flights must be longer than eight hours and both need to be on TK, codeshare flights are excluded.

-----------------

Please list the hotel that you were provided, travel class, the Miles&Smiles or Star Alliance status of the passenger, the date, your username below and the post # that you have shared in the thread ( you could find the number at the top right side of your posts ) to create a database of passenger experiences.

For example: XXXXXXX Hotel, Business Class, M&S Elite, DD/MM/YYYY, ISTFlyer, #1

April 2019:
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by dabee69 in post #54
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #79

May 2019:
Green Park Hotel ( Pendik ), IRROPS, reported by zing2istanbul in (post #753 in the TK ops from IST thread)
Crowne Plaza Aqua Florya, Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #91

June 2019:
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by finlandokie in post #169
August 2019:
Akgun Istanbul, economy class, per post 217
November 2019:
Polat/Renaissance, business-class E+ post 285 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31699696-post285.html)
December 2019:
Polat/Renaissance again, business-class E+ post 285

December 2020:
Polat Renaissance, business class E+

January 2021:
Polat Renaissance, business class (No Status)

November 2021:
Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport, economy class (No Status), #537
May 2022 Stopover hotel
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel, business E+

May 2022
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper
Centro by Rotona (transit hotel), Business, *G, Nacho
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel (stopover hotel), business, *G, Nacho

July 2022
Pullman, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper

July 2023
Polat Renaissance, business class, TK-E, iamaho
Sheraton Otel Esenyurt - with dinner included, business class, TK-E, iamaho

September 2023
Pullman, Business, *G, SEA-Flyer
Pullman, Business, no status, SEA-Flyer
LaQuinta by Wyndham, Y E+, DaveS
Sheraton Esenyurt, Business, E+, Jaenks, assigned by my request

October 2023
Ramada Plaza Tekstilkent, Business, TK E, Lefly

Print Wikipost

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 12:07 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The TK website does offer multi-city booking where you could add a stopover at Istanbul.
It's even on the main page.

Thanks! It appears it's desktop-only, hence why I didn't see it at first
Old May 9, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: Air Canada 35K, Hilton HHonors Diamond; Marriot Gold; Hertz Presidents Circle
Looked through this thread (a few times) and didn't specifically see this spelt out...

Have a HEL-IST-DXB flight that arrives in IST at 22:45 and has a 21ish hour layover. If we wanted to do the Tourinstabul thing for an 08:00 tour would I be better off booking the Yotel Airside or Landside to get a few quality hours of sleep before the tour. I know it says to stop by the "hotel desk" but I cannot find if the hotel desk is pre or post security.

Thanks in advance and if anyone has any other advice for a first timer, would be greatly appreciated..
Old May 9, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Paupaaa
Looked through this thread (a few times) and didn't specifically see this spelt out...

Have a HEL-IST-DXB flight that arrives in IST at 22:45 and has a 21ish hour layover. If we wanted to do the Tourinstabul thing for an 08:00 tour would I be better off booking the Yotel Airside or Landside to get a few quality hours of sleep before the tour. I know it says to stop by the "hotel desk" but I cannot find if the hotel desk is pre or post security.

Thanks in advance and if anyone has any other advice for a first timer, would be greatly appreciated..
Hotel desk is post-immigration (arrivals gall, right side if you are entering the
arrivals hall as passenger).

Was 21 hrs layover tour only posiible
flight (including all flights that were fully booked are you just saw them but couldn’t book them)? Depending on this is if you get free hotel for your layover.
Old May 9, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: Air Canada 35K, Hilton HHonors Diamond; Marriot Gold; Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MitjaPod
Hotel desk is post-immigration (arrivals gall, right side if you are entering the
arrivals hall as passenger).

Was 21 hrs layover tour only posiible
flight (including all flights that were fully booked are you just saw them but couldn’t book them)? Depending on this is if you get free hotel for your layover.
But my understanding is you can't get both the hotel and the tour. Being a first timer I'd rather pay for the hotel and go on the tour with others... I just didn't know if the hotel desk was pre or post security (i.e. if I stayed on the landslide hotel side, I would have to go through security AGAIN just to make it to the to the hotel desk... if that was the case I would pay the premium to stay airside.. If the hotel desk is not he landside of things, then obviously would make much more sense to book landside to be able to get some fresh air as well...

Just having never been there... am unsure of those things..

We did book business class as well... if that matters..
Old May 9, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
But my understanding is you can't get both the hotel and the tour. Being a first timer I'd rather pay for the hotel and go on the tour with others... I just didn't know if the hotel desk was pre or post security (i.e. if I stayed on the landslide hotel side, I would have to go through security AGAIN just to make it to the to the hotel desk... if that was the case I would pay the premium to stay airside.. If the hotel desk is not he landside of things, then obviously would make much more sense to book landside to be able to get some fresh air as well...

Website still says that Toiristanbul is suspended. Let’s wait if someone has a different info. No Business class does not matter. I would say you cannot get the hotel + Touristanbul as the hotel would be in or around the city and the Touristanbul starts at the airport
Old May 9, 2022, 11:22 am

And as far as I can see (did a quick search), you didn’t take the shortest layover (you tooknthe option with the longest layover), so you won’t get the hotel either.

Last edited by MitjaPod; May 9, 2022 at 1:33 pm
Old May 9, 2022, 11:22 am

Website still says that Istanbul tour is suspended. Let’s wait if someone has a different info

I completely missed that at the top... I figured since the website was kinda advertising the tours they were open..

Does anyone know if there are any similar tour type opportunities? having never been to the city and not knowing ones way around... etc.. a tour would be better than figuring stuff out on ones own..

Yeah, intentionally didn't take the shortest layover, as I wanted to be able to see the city.. who knows when I will be traveling through there again as I rarely travel in that region.. Paying for a hotel isn't a big deal... Getting lost in a city I don't know however is...
Old May 9, 2022, 11:27 am

I completely missed that at the top... I figured since the website was kinda advertising the tours they were open..

Does anyone know if there are any similar tour type opportunities? having never been to the city and not knowing ones way around... etc.. a tour would be better than figuring stuff out on ones own..

Yeah, intentionally didn't take the shortest layover, as I wanted to be able to see the city.. who knows when I will be traveling through there again as I rarely travel in that region.. Paying for a hotel isn't a big deal... Getting lost in a city I don't know however is...
You are maybe eligible for “Stopover in istanbul”. There are some posts re this on these forums. https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us/flights/stopover/
Old May 9, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Website still says that Toiristanbul is suspended. Let’s wait if someone has a different info. No Business class does not matter. I would say you cannot get the hotel + Touristanbul as the hotel would be in or around the city and the Touristanbul starts at the airport
Actually someone could get both the tour and the hotel at the same time when the tour is operating, although, the passenger would be responsible to show up at the airport for the tour with his own means as no additional shuttle service for hotel -> airport would be provided for the tour.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just confirming I'm reading the rules correctly.

I will book TK J class US -> Middle East (not Jordan) return ticket. I'm not eligible for the stopover hotel in either direction simply because US -> Middle East is not listed specifically in the stopover list even though Middle East -> US is? I don't understand how US -> Southern Europe is eligible but Middle East is not but I digress.

I know I won't be eligible for transit hotel because I prefer to take the 16 hour layover instead of a 3 hour layover on the outbound because I don't feel like arriving in my city at 1am local

Thanks,
-RM
Old May 18, 2022, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You will find that hotel rates in IST are often dirt cheap (in particular compared with US hotel rates) so just book your own accommodation. Not a big loss IMO.
Old May 21, 2022, 1:06 am

Anyone encountered a full mailbox reply when contacting the free stopover email?
Old May 21, 2022, 1:39 am

Programs: Northwest, United
I am looking at a routing on a business class, award ticket, booked via a *Alliance partner, flying on TK metal into and out of IST. Layover in IST is greater than 9 hours (around 14 hours, actually). Arriving in IST on a TK international flight late evening, departing next day afternoon on a TK international flight.

As I read the rules, I think that I should qualify for the Transit Hotel benefit -- as long as I'm not disqualified 1) because it's an award ticket (rather than a paid ticket), and/or 2) because it's an award ticket issued by a TK partner (rather than booked directly with TK itself).

Am I correct that I should qualify for the Transit Hotel benefit given the above? Thanks.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I am looking at a routing on a business class, award ticket, booked via a *Alliance partner, flying on TK metal into and out of IST. Layover in IST is greater than 9 hours (around 14 hours, actually). Arriving in IST on a TK international flight late evening, departing next day afternoon on a TK international flight.

As I read the rules, I think that I should qualify for the Transit Hotel benefit -- as long as I'm not disqualified 1) because it's an award ticket (rather than a paid ticket), and/or 2) because it's an award ticket issued by a TK partner (rather than booked directly with TK itself).

Am I correct that I should qualify for the Transit Hotel benefit given the above? Thanks.
Your actual layover time is not important here alone. The first question to answer is if there is any other combination of flights on the same route on the same day that offer shorter layover time. If yes, then your actual layover time is not importaint.

Award tickets also qualify for layover hotel, even if issued by a partner.
Old May 30, 2022, 12:57 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
If the shortest layover qualifies for a transit hotel and I choose to book one even longer than that, I am assuming that won't disqualify me from receiving one, correct?

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.