Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lefly
This thread is created for passengers with long connections in Istanbul Airport for TK.

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI CAREFULLY (especially the hotel fine print) before posting questions.

TRANSIT HOTEL (different from Stopover hotel):

TK will provide a free hotel to international transfer passengers at IST if:

- Economy Class ticket: connecting time is 12 hours or longer
- Business Class ticket: connecting time is 9 hours or longer

AND this connection must be the shortest possible option. If there is a 3-hour layover available, but you choose the 13-hour one, you are not eligible for the free transit hotel. This also applies if the shorter connection is fully booked: you still won't get the free hotel if there is a theoretical, but sold out, shorter connection.

If you need a visa to enter Turkey, you need to secure it at your own expense.
TK have a pool of hotels that they contract with, it is unfortunately not possible to know which hotel you'll end up at until you are sitting on the bus. Business class passengeres generally get five star hotels and Economy Class passengers get four star hotels. See the list on the bottom of this wiki for usual locations.

Hotel Desk E-Mail Adress: [email protected] - it's generally not necessary to email them, you can just show up
click here for Hotel Desk location

Click here for full Transit Hotel terms/conditions

STOPOVER HOTEL (different from Transit Hotel):

If you are on a round-trip ticket to-from certain cities/countries (click here for the list) and choose a connection longer than 20 hours, TK will provide one night at a four star hotel for Economy Class tickets and two nights at a five star hotel for Business Class tickets (three nights if traveling to/from USA).

At least 72 hours before your first flight, you must send an e-mail to the address that corresponds to your departure point on the list on this page (click here) and include your

full name
reservation code (PNR) or ticket number
date range for the anticipated accommodation
preferred room type (single, double or triple)
telephone and e-mail address

Visas and transfer to/from the airport are not covered by TK.

Click here for eligible origins/destinations and FAQ

TOURISTANBUL:

If you are on an international connection through IST and your connection time is 6-24 hours, you can take a free guided city tour. You must arrive at the hotel desk at least 30 minutes before the tours are scheduled to depart. After clearing immigration and leaving the baggage claim hall, turn right and go to the hotel desk (for location click here).

Touristanbul schedule and FAQ can be found here.

SLEEPING ROOMS:

Business Class and Elite Plus passengers on connections between 4 hours and 9 hours can get a private sleeping room at the M&S and Business lounges. One of the flights must be longer than eight hours and both need to be on TK, codeshare flights are excluded.

-----------------

Please list the hotel that you were provided, travel class, the Miles&Smiles or Star Alliance status of the passenger, the date, your username below and the post # that you have shared in the thread ( you could find the number at the top right side of your posts ) to create a database of passenger experiences.

For example: XXXXXXX Hotel, Business Class, M&S Elite, DD/MM/YYYY, ISTFlyer, #1

April 2019:
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by dabee69 in post #54
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #79

May 2019:
Green Park Hotel ( Pendik ), IRROPS, reported by zing2istanbul in (post #753 in the TK ops from IST thread)
Crowne Plaza Aqua Florya, Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #91

June 2019:
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by finlandokie in post #169
August 2019:
Akgun Istanbul, economy class, per post 217
November 2019:
Polat/Renaissance, business-class E+ post 285 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31699696-post285.html)
December 2019:
Polat/Renaissance again, business-class E+ post 285

December 2020:
Polat Renaissance, business class E+

January 2021:
Polat Renaissance, business class (No Status)

November 2021:
Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport, economy class (No Status), #537
May 2022 Stopover hotel
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel, business E+

May 2022
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper
Centro by Rotona (transit hotel), Business, *G, Nacho
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel (stopover hotel), business, *G, Nacho

July 2022
Pullman, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper

July 2023
Polat Renaissance, business class, TK-E, iamaho
Sheraton Otel Esenyurt - with dinner included, business class, TK-E, iamaho

September 2023
Pullman, Business, *G, SEA-Flyer
Pullman, Business, no status, SEA-Flyer
LaQuinta by Wyndham, Y E+, DaveS
Sheraton Esenyurt, Business, E+, Jaenks, assigned by my request

October 2023
Ramada Plaza Tekstilkent, Business, TK E, Lefly

Print Wikipost

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2022, 12:27 am

Programs: AA million mile, etc
In the preceding post, make that IAD-IST-MRS round trip.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Keyser
Flying DEL-EWR with an 8 hour layover in IST. Award ticket booked in business class. If I read the rules correctly then I would be eligible to use one of the sleeping rooms in the Business class lounge. Just had a question for those who have used them recently. I realize that it's on a first come basis but how busy do these get? Is there typically a wait or are they usually available?
To answer my own question. I got to the Business class lounge around 11:30AM yesterday (08/04/22) & asked if a room was available. I had 2 colleagues traveling with me & all 3 of us were able to get rooms.
nacho and Stil like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 2:43 pm

Thank you for this! One quick follow-up - by MSL, do you mean "Northwest Alabama Regional Airport (MSL)" or another airport? Just asking only as I'm trying to clarify the pre-departure test for the US piece ... as to an earlier comment, if it's one day before you originate travel, if I start in Nice on Sunday, May 22, could I test on Saturday, May 21, even if my transit through IST (say airside at the Yotel) takes me into Monday, May 23rd (since the outbound flight from IST to SFO is on May 23rd)?

Sorry to mix topics / threads here - but the premise is the same; essentially, if you're going from XXX location in Europe --> IST --> US, with a 8-10 hour overnight transit, and you have all your boarding passes / bag issued at the original point of check-in / continue to stay airside in IST, does this mean you're good to go on pre-departure testing so long as it's one day before you board your first flight? Not one day before your US-specific flight?

Originally Posted by stusessions
Wife and I flew RT IAD-IST-MSL in J. Connections in IST were overnight and exceeded 12 hours each way on 1st available flight, hence eligible for TK transit hotel each way. Large bags were checked through each way. We kept with us carry-ons plus small overnight suitcases.

Outbound we tried the transit hotel. Upon arrival in IST it took several false starts and multiple inquiries for us to discover the correct procedure: 1) Buy single entry visas for each of us for $60 total (US citizens). 2) Go through passport control, showing passport with visa; 3) Go down one floor, proceed through the baggage claim area (we had no baggage to claim -- our was checked through), exit baggage claim and find the TK Hotel Desk, per the map on an earlier thread. 4) At Hotel Desk, show passport and boarding pass for our connection the next day and were told to wait in a nearby area for our names to be called. 5) in about 20 minutes, were led by an agent to the curb where we boarded a 12-passenger van as the only 2 passengers. 6) Were driven to the BH Conference & Airport Hotel; elapsed time from arrival at the Hotel Desk to the hotel was about an hour. 7) Hotel was fair quality at best -- good restaurant, OK room, very uncomfortable beds and much too hot with no ability to cool it. Nightly rate for this hotel is about $50, Definitely not five star. 8) Picked up at 6 AM by a van the next morning for our 10 AM flight. 9) Drive to airport took 1 hr 20 minutes due to 4 stops picking up 10 pax after us to fill the bus.

Inbound we used the air-side Yotel. 1) Upon arrival in IST we had difficulty figuring out where the Yotel was and how to access it.. Staff at 2 information kiosks could not explain in a way we could understand how to access it. 2) Eventually learned that we must follow signs for International Transfer and pass through security there. Security was very strict, confiscating several items, including an expensive tube of cosmetics that my wife believes was less than 3 ounces. 3) Airside Yotel is then at other end of the terminal, past all the duty free shops and the two TK lounges. Checkin at the Yotel was relatively easy; cost was $190 for 12 hours. Room was small and spare, but very clean and quiet with comfortable bed. 4) We used the TK lounge for late night snacks after checking into Yotel and also for breakfast the next morning. Very convenient and entirely satisfying. 5) Learning how to get COVID tested in the airport in the AM before our flight back to US and then accessing the test site was very difficult. We had to get from international departures to airside international arrivals where the site was -- not at all sure how we eventually did it. Getting the antibody test (PCR would have required at least 2 hours for results) was easy, with results supposedly available on the testing website. 6) Upon arrival at our departure gate, however, the website would not function and we could neither learn our results nor show them. The head TK gate agent eventually solved whatever the problem was and we were among the last px to board the plane.

Conclusions: 1) For us, mostly concerned with comfort and less with cost, we preferred the Yotel. Cost $190 for the Yotel and TK lounges vs. $110 for TK Transit (visas, tips for drivers, dinner) but more comfortable room and much less time spent exiting and entering the airport and in van rides. 2) For COVID testing to enter the US, the IST test center is convenient in theory, but in practice you might want to start the process at least 4 hours before your flight.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hardworking21
Thank you for this! One quick follow-up - by MSL, do you mean "Northwest Alabama Regional Airport (MSL)" or another airport? Just asking only as I'm trying to clarify the pre-departure test for the US piece ... as to an earlier comment, if it's one day before you originate travel, if I start in Nice on Sunday, May 22, could I test on Saturday, May 21, even if my transit through IST (say airside at the Yotel) takes me into Monday, May 23rd (since the outbound flight from IST to SFO is on May 23rd)?

Sorry to mix topics / threads here - but the premise is the same; essentially, if you're going from XXX location in Europe --> IST --> US, with a 8-10 hour overnight transit, and you have all your boarding passes / bag issued at the original point of check-in / continue to stay airside in IST, does this mean you're good to go on pre-departure testing so long as it's one day before you board your first flight? Not one day before your US-specific flight?
you are correct, its one day from your first flight and not US specific flight. from us CDC website:If your itinerary has you arriving to the US via one or more connecting flights, your test can be taken within 1 day before the departure of the first flight.

You also have the option of getting tested en route during one of your connections. However, you should consider where in the connecting airport testing is available and if you would be able to access it while in transit. If you choose this strategy and are unable to get a test en route, you will not be able to board your flight to the United States. You should also be aware that if you test positive en route, you will not be allowed to continue your travel and may need to stay at that location until you end isolation.

Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I have a 14hr layover in Istanbul end of May. The current Touristanbul stopover tours still have not restarted. Has anyone hired a private tour or a are there group tours that I can pay for to pick you up from the airport to see the main sites and sends you back to the airport for your flight? Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2022, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Lonsinla
I have a 14hr layover in Istanbul end of May. The current Touristanbul stopover tours still have not restarted. Has anyone hired a private tour or a are there group tours that I can pay for to pick you up from the airport to see the main sites and sends you back to the airport for your flight? Thanks!
There are some tour agencies that would offer this service with a private vehicle but they are likely to be too expensive.
Also, there are no group tours offered starting from the airport.

It would make more sense to roam own as a private tour would serve nothing more than a pre-arranged transportation and a private guide which you would pay at least 5-10 times more than what you would pay when roaming on your own.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:55 pm

Had a 15 hour layover from DBV - IST - ATL and so got transit hotel. Overall the checkin process was pretty efficient, took maybe 5 minutes to get my info and then another 10 minute wait before bus. But I think there were people there who were waiting for a bit longer as some were already complaining - we likely were the last group. Actual bus was used and it was full, no empty seats. It was a 50+ minute drive as they used Grand Yavuz Hotel which is right near Grand Bazaar.

Hotel was acceptable but a bit old and run down. Breakfast was included but it was grim. Got to hotel a little after 1am. Not sure how this would have happened with timing rules but some people had 3am pickups for 7am flights so their time in room was less than 2 hours. A group had 4am and they complained loudly it wasn't worth the long trip but hotel wouldn't budge on pickup time.

On inbound week prior, I stayed at Yotel landside since I already had visa. Much better experience as it was right outside security. I think it's incredibly generous of Turkish to provide the hotels but for this to be a real benefit, they need to find some closer to current airport and not old one.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by jeff191
Hotel was acceptable but a bit old and run down. Breakfast was included but it was grim. Got to hotel a little after 1am. Not sure how this would have happened with timing rules but some people had 3am pickups for 7am flights so their time in room was less than 2 hours. A group had 4am and they complained loudly it wasn't worth the long trip but hotel wouldn't budge on pickup time.
The hotel can't do anything. The pick-up time is determined by hotel desk (it will be entered into your reservation/info to the hotel). Standard pick-up time is 4+ hours before the flight; yes, horrible, but neither hotel desk (or hotel) will budge. Only way to have it otherwise is to inform the hotel desk that you will arrange your own transport back to the airport; then you are free to leave for the airport whenever you want.

I agree; for short transfer times like 9-10 hours (for C/J class pax) the TK transfer hotel is not worth it as you will only have a few hours in the hotel room.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I agree; for short transfer times like 9-10 hours (for C/J class pax) the TK transfer hotel is not worth it as you will only have a few hours in the hotel room.
So if you have a 9,5 hour transfer, you are just out of luck because can not get lounge room and hotel is not convenient?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
So if you have a 9,5 hour transfer, you are just out of luck because can not get lounge room and hotel is not convenient?
Up to you, if it is better to spend the time in lounge or go through the hassle to enter Turkey, waiting time for the shuttle bus and 2x 45m - 1h drive, to spend 2-4 hours at the hotel. Next time I will not do it for a 9-10h transfer. Better to find a quiet area (preferably a couch) in the TK Business lounge (Business lounge is less busy than TK Elite/Gold lounge).
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by jeff191

On inbound week prior, I stayed at Yotel landside since I already had visa. Much better experience as it was right outside security. I think it's incredibly generous of Turkish to provide the hotels but for this to be a real benefit, they need to find some closer to current airport and not old one.
The hotel has no say when it comes to pickup time: that's set by the airline. The schedule seems over cautious, but it is what it is - aimed at protecting the airline against the consequential costs of botched pickups, vehicle breakdowns, traffic jams, accidents and other mishaps.

But if you make it clear you wish to bow out of TK's schedule and make your own arrangements, the hotel's not going drag you out of bed and march you to the van. So you could give yourself another hour's rest, then taxi out to the airport or (in your case) use the $3 Havaist bus service from Aksaray, just up the road. However the downside to ditching the pickup is you're out in the cold if you miss the flight for whatever reason.

As for hotels around the airport, I think as yet there are no properties which could cater for the volume of passengers that TK generates at prices, and under the conditions, the airline imposes.

Hotel accommodation for transfer passengers, is a relic of the past for most airlines. It's great that TK still offers it, flaws and all!
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:51 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I did get a transfer just before Covid and the hotel was adamant that they cannot change the transfer times. Two hours extra sleep was worth it so we got a taxi to go to the airport.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:45 pm

Gotcha - thanks for this! So just confirming if I book the below as TK tickets it, in Nice, both boarding passes will be issued / bags will be checked through to SF, and if I go to the Yotel airside overnight to rest, I'll be good to continue flying since the testing requirement / check was done in Nice, and I'd just have to test the day of my flight from Nice to Istanbul or the day before?

Assuming since I'd have both boarding passes, I could then do airside transit / access both TK J lounge and Yotel? Sounds like this may be a better option than a transit hotel, since the connection is ~10 hours and with a 4 hour pickup time, I may get little sleep in the end ...

Originally Posted by Lonsinla
you are correct, its one day from your first flight and not US specific flight. from us CDC website:If your itinerary has you arriving to the US via one or more connecting flights, your test can be taken within 1 day before the departure of the first flight.

You also have the option of getting tested en route during one of your connections. However, you should consider where in the connecting airport testing is available and if you would be able to access it while in transit. If you choose this strategy and are unable to get a test en route, you will not be able to board your flight to the United States. You should also be aware that if you test positive en route, you will not be allowed to continue your travel and may need to stay at that location until you end isolation.

Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
Traveling Fri VCE-IST-IAH with long layover in IST. Will get tested in VCE within 24 hrs of departure IST-IAH. Planning to check bags at VCE and overnight at Yotel airside. We arrive about 2300 Anybody see any problems with this plan? Thank you
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:08 pm

Fully agree hotel has no say. It was just interesting to see the hotel front desk catching all the heat from passengers about the pickup. The TK representative was actually off to the side ignoring all the complaints and staying out of it. From my experience, 4 hours is conservative but not out of line. It was 50 minute drive and we got there 3 hours before flight so enough time to go to lounge and get lunch but we weren't sitting around for hours.

The new airport is way out there, curious to see whether the hotel situation improves with time.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The hotel has no say when it comes to pickup time: that's set by the airline. The schedule seems over cautious, but it is what it is - aimed at protecting the airline against the consequential costs of botched pickups, vehicle breakdowns, traffic jams, accidents and other mishaps.

But if you make it clear you wish to bow out of TK's schedule and make your own arrangements, the hotel's not going drag you out of bed and march you to the van. So you could give yourself another hour's rest, then taxi out to the airport or (in your case) use the $3 Havaist bus service from Aksaray, just up the road. However the downside to ditching the pickup is you're out in the cold if you miss the flight for whatever reason.

As for hotels around the airport, I think as yet there are no properties which could cater for the volume of passengers that TK generates at prices, and under the conditions, the airline imposes.

Hotel accommodation for transfer passengers, is a relic of the past for most airlines. It's great that TK still offers it, flaws and all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.