Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lefly
This thread is created for passengers with long connections in Istanbul Airport for TK.

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI CAREFULLY (especially the hotel fine print) before posting questions.

TRANSIT HOTEL (different from Stopover hotel):

TK will provide a free hotel to international transfer passengers at IST if:

- Economy Class ticket: connecting time is 12 hours or longer
- Business Class ticket: connecting time is 9 hours or longer

AND this connection must be the shortest possible option. If there is a 3-hour layover available, but you choose the 13-hour one, you are not eligible for the free transit hotel. This also applies if the shorter connection is fully booked: you still won't get the free hotel if there is a theoretical, but sold out, shorter connection.

If you need a visa to enter Turkey, you need to secure it at your own expense.
TK have a pool of hotels that they contract with, it is unfortunately not possible to know which hotel you'll end up at until you are sitting on the bus. Business class passengeres generally get five star hotels and Economy Class passengers get four star hotels. See the list on the bottom of this wiki for usual locations.

Hotel Desk E-Mail Adress: [email protected] - it's generally not necessary to email them, you can just show up
click here for Hotel Desk location

Click here for full Transit Hotel terms/conditions

STOPOVER HOTEL (different from Transit Hotel):

If you are on a round-trip ticket to-from certain cities/countries (click here for the list) and choose a connection longer than 20 hours, TK will provide one night at a four star hotel for Economy Class tickets and two nights at a five star hotel for Business Class tickets (three nights if traveling to/from USA).

At least 72 hours before your first flight, you must send an e-mail to the address that corresponds to your departure point on the list on this page (click here) and include your

full name
reservation code (PNR) or ticket number
date range for the anticipated accommodation
preferred room type (single, double or triple)
telephone and e-mail address

Visas and transfer to/from the airport are not covered by TK.

Click here for eligible origins/destinations and FAQ

TOURISTANBUL:

If you are on an international connection through IST and your connection time is 6-24 hours, you can take a free guided city tour. You must arrive at the hotel desk at least 30 minutes before the tours are scheduled to depart. After clearing immigration and leaving the baggage claim hall, turn right and go to the hotel desk (for location click here).

Touristanbul schedule and FAQ can be found here.

SLEEPING ROOMS:

Business Class and Elite Plus passengers on connections between 4 hours and 9 hours can get a private sleeping room at the M&S and Business lounges. One of the flights must be longer than eight hours and both need to be on TK, codeshare flights are excluded.

-----------------

Please list the hotel that you were provided, travel class, the Miles&Smiles or Star Alliance status of the passenger, the date, your username below and the post # that you have shared in the thread ( you could find the number at the top right side of your posts ) to create a database of passenger experiences.

For example: XXXXXXX Hotel, Business Class, M&S Elite, DD/MM/YYYY, ISTFlyer, #1

April 2019:
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by dabee69 in post #54
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #79

May 2019:
Green Park Hotel ( Pendik ), IRROPS, reported by zing2istanbul in (post #753 in the TK ops from IST thread)
Crowne Plaza Aqua Florya, Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #91

June 2019:
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by finlandokie in post #169
August 2019:
Akgun Istanbul, economy class, per post 217
November 2019:
Polat/Renaissance, business-class E+ post 285 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31699696-post285.html)
December 2019:
Polat/Renaissance again, business-class E+ post 285

December 2020:
Polat Renaissance, business class E+

January 2021:
Polat Renaissance, business class (No Status)

November 2021:
Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport, economy class (No Status), #537
May 2022 Stopover hotel
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel, business E+

May 2022
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper
Centro by Rotona (transit hotel), Business, *G, Nacho
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel (stopover hotel), business, *G, Nacho

July 2022
Pullman, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper

July 2023
Polat Renaissance, business class, TK-E, iamaho
Sheraton Otel Esenyurt - with dinner included, business class, TK-E, iamaho

September 2023
Pullman, Business, *G, SEA-Flyer
Pullman, Business, no status, SEA-Flyer
LaQuinta by Wyndham, Y E+, DaveS
Sheraton Esenyurt, Business, E+, Jaenks, assigned by my request

October 2023
Ramada Plaza Tekstilkent, Business, TK E, Lefly

Print Wikipost

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:21 am

The stopover is provided as a courtesy. When you bought your ticket, you didn't pay for the stopover so you would generally not have any legal resource. It's similar to having a lounge temporarily shut down - you wouldn't be able to get something because it wasn't available during your trip.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:11 pm

I have a trip booked for end of the year where I arrive IST at midnight, and depart at 10am.

Seems like my layover is too long for a sleeping room, are there any other places around the lounge to get some sleep (maybe similar to the old theater room?).

If not, I suppose me other option would be to get a night at the airside transit hotel. The cost to obtain an entry visa for myself and my companion basically makes the TK transit hotel a wash in terms of the airside hotel.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I have a trip booked for end of the year where I arrive IST at midnight, and depart at 10am.

Seems like my layover is too long for a sleeping room, are there any other places around the lounge to get some sleep (maybe similar to the old theater room?).

If not, I suppose me other option would be to get a night at the airside transit hotel. The cost to obtain an entry visa for myself and my companion basically makes the TK transit hotel a wash in terms of the airside hotel.
There are nap-zones at the airport ( free-of-charge ) and there are sleeping pods worth €9 per hour as well. They would not give you the comfort of YOTEL but they are cheaper. Otherwise, if you are not willing to pay for the visa to enter Turkey in order to benefit from the free transit hotel, your best option would be to stay at the YOTEL.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:04 pm

Question regarding the Transit Hotel (not Stopover) qualifications.

I've got a DAC->ATL flight booked with a 10.5 hour layover. <--All good here.
TK only has a single daily DAC->IST flight. It also only has a single IST->ATL flight. This makes my connection the fastest direct route to my destination. <--Still good here.

But, a dummy cash booking reveals a second option, which is DAC->IST->ORD->ATL (last flight on UA metal). This itinerary only has a 9.5 hour connection at IST, meaning my connection is not technically the shortest bookable transit time.
However, the shorter transit time ticket actually arrives in ATL two hours later than my current direct ticket. So while it has a shorter transit time in IST, it is a longer total itinerary time.

Any reasonable standard would seem to support my booking as qualifying for the hotel, but I know TK applies these rules by the book. I'm just not sure how to read in the book in this case. Anyone with a similar experience have any thoughts?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Ivstan14

TK only has a single daily DAC->IST flight. It also only has a single IST->ATL flight. This makes my connection the fastest direct route to my destination. <--Still good here.

But, a dummy cash booking reveals a second option, which is DAC->IST->ORD->ATL (last flight on UA metal). This itinerary only has a 9.5 hour connection at IST, meaning my connection is not technically the shortest bookable transit time.
However, the shorter transit time ticket actually arrives in ATL two hours later than my current direct ticket. So while it has a shorter transit time in IST, it is a longer total itinerary time.

Any reasonable standard would seem to support my booking as qualifying for the hotel, but I know TK applies these rules by the book. I'm just not sure how to read in the book in this case. Anyone with a similar experience have any thoughts?
If someone knows otherwise please correct me, but I'm sure that an alternate route with a shorter layover in IST wouldn't disqualify you from a transit hotel.

There are virtually always alternate routes that could apply. For example, United is a Star Alliance partner. United flies to every Turkish Airlines destination in the US, with the exception of JFK. This means that theoretically Turkish could route you via the US airport providing a short connection in IST, and send you to your final destination on United. This is not practical.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

Originally Posted by g289t
If someone knows otherwise please correct me, but I'm sure that an alternate route with a shorter layover in IST wouldn't disqualify you from a transit hotel.

There are virtually always alternate routes that could apply. For example, United is a Star Alliance partner. United flies to every Turkish Airlines destination in the US, with the exception of JFK. This means that theoretically Turkish could route you via the US airport providing a short connection in IST, and send you to your final destination on United. This is not practical.
Codeshares are excluded when calculating the shortest option, in the case of the OP, he is eligible for the transit hotel if he flies Business Class on both legs as his layover is between 9 and 12 hours. The "transit hotel logo" on the website could be misleading in some occasions.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Codeshares are excluded when calculating the shortest option, in the case of the OP, he is eligible for the transit hotel if he flies Business Class on both legs as his layover is between 9 and 12 hours. The "transit hotel logo" on the website could be misleading in some occasions.
Thanks. I am in J on both legs! It's an award ticket, and I've been bitten by the "not applicable on award fares" exception during layovers with both EY and QR previously, but my understanding is TK doesn't care which fare type your ticket is, only your travel class.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. I am in J on both legs! It's an award ticket, and I've been bitten by the "not applicable on award fares" exception during layovers with both EY and QR previously, but my understanding is TK doesn't care which fare type your ticket is, only your travel class.
The fact if it's an award ticket or not, does not matter.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:10 am

I just wanted to verify that the transit hotel program is still operating normally right now, since the last post was four months ago. Can I still just show up at the desk after clearing customs and get a hotel for a qualifying layover? Is there any need or advantage in contacting them in advance?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Last I heard (a few months back, so maybe things have changed) was that the program had been suspended due to the virus situation.
downinit likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The western part of the arrivals level ( where the TK hotel desk is ) was closed to the public during my visit on 31 July.
If they are not making any special arrangements, the hotel program is probably not active at this time.
downinit likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:01 pm

No surprise that it is closed, but that leaves the problem of where to stay for an overnight layover? Unfortunately, the LAX flights have pretty horrible timings when there is a connection to Europe involved. I have a 17:30 to 06:55 layover on the inbound segment, and a 23:45 to 13:10 layover before my flight back to LA. Are there any good alternatives to Yotel? I was thinking of Yotel landside for my early connection, but maybe something else for my last day? Are the airport hotel shuttles running normally? I don't mind paying for the e-VIsa, and really don't want to spend 24 hours airside.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by downinit
No surprise that it is closed, but that leaves the problem of where to stay for an overnight layover? Unfortunately, the LAX flights have pretty horrible timings when there is a connection to Europe involved. I have a 17:30 to 06:55 layover on the inbound segment, and a 23:45 to 13:10 layover before my flight back to LA. Are there any good alternatives to Yotel? I was thinking of Yotel landside for my early connection, but maybe something else for my last day? Are the airport hotel shuttles running normally? I don't mind paying for the e-VIsa, and really don't want to spend 24 hours airside.
There are no hotels that you could reach by a free transfer bus from Istanbul Airport. Your alternatives would be to take a taxi to one of the hotels near Durusu & Odayeri ( ₺50-60 per direction ), or take one of the İETT/Havaist buses to the city and stay in the city.

By the way, there is nothing open at the landside area, except 1-2 stores, the pharmacy, and a café.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The western part of the arrivals level ( where the TK hotel desk is ) was closed to the public during my visit on 31 July.
If they are not making any special arrangements, the hotel program is probably not active at this time.
I emailed the TK hotel desk, and their response was "We are able to provide service at the hotel." Unfortunately, no other details were given, which means either they forgot the negation or that the hotel desk is now open? Either way, it is a very unsatisfying response. Once I confirm my flights, I guess I will need to consult TK on Twitter to get a second opinion on the matter.
gr8pirate and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 2:55 pm

I can confirm that the hotel desk is open and operational. The exit past customs going right (the direction of the desk) was closed, but that side of the hall is still easily accessible and open once you exit from the left side doors.

That said, the new airport really is way way way out in the middle of absolute nowhere. The hotels they are using are all near the Mall of Istanbul...but unfortunately, the mall is not really accessible unless you have a helicopter. My hotel was only a couple hundred meters away from the mall, but on the wrong side of the freeway interchange. It would have been a 15 minute drive or 2.5 hour walk to get there

Also, I hate to say bad things about a very useful free service, but my driver drove past the hotel and kept going, eventually turning around near the old airport...but only after finding a major traffic jam on the road leading even further out of the way past ISL. In the end, we got back to the hotel about 45 minutes after we first passed it. And I was the only passenger and only stop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.