Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 4, 20, 9:33 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: IAN-UK
Wiki Link
This thread is created for passengers with long connections in Istanbul Airport for TK.

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI CAREFULLY (especially the hotel fine print) before posting questions.

TRANSIT HOTEL (different from Stopover hotel):

TK will provide a free hotel to international transfer passengers at IST if:

- Economy Class ticket: connecting time is 12 hours or longer
- Business Class ticket: connecting time is 9 hours or longer

AND this connection must be the shortest possible option. If there is a 3-hour layover available, but you choose the 13-hour one, you are not eligible for the free transit hotel. This also applies if the shorter connection is fully booked: you still won't get the free hotel if there is a theoretical, but sold out, shorter connection.

If you need a visa to enter Turkey, you need to secure it at your own expense.
TK have a pool of hotels that they contract with, it is unfortunately not possible to know which hotel you'll end up at until you are sitting on the bus. Business class passengeres generally get five star hotels and Economy Class passengers get four star hotels. See the list on the bottom of this wiki for usual locations.

Hotel Desk E-Mail Adress: [email protected] - it's generally not necessary to email them, you can just show up
click here for Hotel Desk location

Click here for full Transit Hotel terms/conditions

STOPOVER HOTEL (different from Transit Hotel):

If you are on a round-trip ticket to-from certain cities/countries (click here for the list) and choose a connection longer than 20 hours, TK will provide one night at a four star hotel for Economy Class tickets and two nights at a five star hotel for Business Class tickets.

At least 72 hours before your first flight, you must send an e-mail to the address that corresponds to your departure point on the list on this page (click here) and include your

full name
reservation code (PNR) or ticket number
date range for the anticipated accommodation
preferred room type (single, double or triple)
telephone and e-mail address

Visas and transfer to/from the airport are not covered by TK.

Click here for eligible origins/destinations and FAQ

TOURISTANBUL:

If you are on an international connection through IST and your connection time is 6-24 hours, you can take a free guided city tour. You must arrive at the hotel desk at least 30 minutes before the tours are scheduled to depart. After clearing immigration and leaving the baggage claim hall, turn right and go to the hotel desk (for location click here).

Touristanbul schedule and FAQ can be found here.

SLEEPING ROOMS:

Business Class and Elite Plus passengers on connections between 4 hours and 9 hours can get a private sleeping room at the M&S and Business lounges. One of the flights must be longer than eight hours and both need to be on TK, codeshare flights are excluded.

-----------------

Please list the hotel that you were provided, travel class, the Miles&Smiles or Star Alliance status of the passenger, the date, your username below and the post # that you have shared in the thread ( you could find the number at the top right side of your posts ) to create a database of passenger experiences.

For example: XXXXXXX Hotel, Business Class, M&S Elite, DD/MM/YYYY, ISTFlyer, #1

April 2019:
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by dabee69 in post #54
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #79

May 2019:
Green Park Hotel ( Pendik ), IRROPS, reported by zing2istanbul in (post #753 in the TK ops from IST thread)
Crowne Plaza Aqua Florya, Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #91

June 2019:
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by finlandokie in post #169
August 2019:
Akgun Istanbul, economy class, per post 217
November 2019:
Polat/Renaissance, business-class E+ post 285 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31699696-post285.html)
December 2019:
Polat/Renaissance again, business-class E+ post 285
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 28, 20, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by ahopkins767 View Post
Does anyone have experience with the "Miniport" service, and what hotels they serve?

I would like to stoppover in IST with the family but we will probably have about 40kg each (some boxes as well as cases). Is there a limit to what Miniport will take?

Thanks
Their website would state the hotels that they deliver. In addition, they started to deliver some shopping malls.
There won't be an upper limit but you would need to pay separately for each bag/case.
Old Jan 28, 20, 8:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Thank you - I didn't realize there was a charge (it isn't obvious - only that it's available to TK pax only). I will have to do due research in time. Thanks again
Old Jan 31, 20, 11:41 am

Has anyone had trouble with emailing THY about the stopover benefit. A couple of months ago I emailed them for info about the program and they got back to me within a couple of days but now that I have booked my ticket they will not email me back. I have emailed them twice with no reply and it has been a week since my last email. For what it is worth I am flying from Houston, have a stopover in Istanbul for 2 days, then fly to Cairo. I also call the phone number listed but there is no answer and the system hangs up on me after about 10 rings.
Old Feb 1, 20, 12:24 pm

I used facebook /messenger with TK. I got an answer a few hours later.
Old Feb 2, 20, 9:28 am

Just wanted someone to clarify that the lounge --> Immigration options mentioned upthread are still available as of Feb 2020. Is that correct?
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by lowfareair View Post
Just wanted someone to clarify that the lounge --> Immigration options mentioned upthread are still available as of Feb 2020. Is that correct?
Yes, the information related to "the walking directions from the lounge to the arrival passport check" located upthread is still valid.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 10:47 pm

I am getting really frustrated with Turkish Airlines. They will not reply to emails and there is never an answer on the phone regarding the stopover program. I have contacted them on FB messenger and now they say I am not eligible, but I believe they are confusing their own two programs, the stopover program and the transit hotel program.
Please let me know if I do qualify and give please give me some advice on how to get my benefit. I am flying IAH-IST-CAI, then CAI-IST-IAH, with a two night in IST on the outbound flight. I have business class accommodations.
Old Feb 3, 20, 4:29 am

I am booked on ORD-IST-ACC. I have a 22h 20m layover in Istanbul, but it is involuntary. Both routes operate once per day, so there are no options in the schedules. It appears that I would qualify for both the transit and the stopover. Is this correct? If I can do either, is there an advantage to one over the other?

Also, I upgraded the ORD-IST segment to J. I'm curious about whether or not I qualify for the business class accommodations in Istanbul.
Old Feb 3, 20, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by g289t View Post
I am booked on ORD-IST-ACC. I have a 22h 20m layover in Istanbul, but it is involuntary. Both routes operate once per day, so there are no options in the schedules. It appears that I would qualify for both the transit and the stopover. Is this correct? If I can do either, is there an advantage to one over the other?

Also, I upgraded the ORD-IST segment to J. I'm curious about whether or not I qualify for the business class accommodations in Istanbul.
The transit hotel would give you transportation to/from the hotel while the stopover hotel won't.
g289t likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
The transit hotel would give you transportation to/from the hotel while the stopover hotel won't.
Good point! So if I use the transit hotel option, I do not make any prior arrangements, correct? I just go to the hotel desk upon arrival?
Old Feb 3, 20, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by g289t View Post
Good point! So if I use the transit hotel option, I do not make any prior arrangements, correct? I just go to the hotel desk upon arrival?
Yes, no prior arrangments. Everything happens at the hotel desk after your arrival.
g289t likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 10:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Nexus
Was just denied TourIstanbul because my tickets were booked on AC stock, they said that the tickets had to be on TK stock to be eligible.
Old Feb 29, 20, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azhang24 View Post
Was just denied TourIstanbul because my tickets were booked on AC stock, they said that the tickets had to be on TK stock to be eligible.
Was one or both of the flights an AC codeshare one or the ticket was issued by AC but all the flights were marketed and operated by TK.
There were some people who had success getting on the tour if both of their tickets were marketed and operated by TK but on another airline stock.
Old Feb 29, 20, 6:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Nexus
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Was one or both of the flights an AC codeshare one or the ticket was issued by AC but all the flights were marketed and operated by TK.
There were some people who had success getting on the tour if both of their tickets were marketed and operated by TK but on another airline stock.
Both flights were marketed and operated by TK. The lady at the counter told me to check the website, but wouldn't budge when I explained that both were TK operated.
Old Mar 1, 20, 12:18 am

Hi!

I have question re the STOPOVER HOTELS offered. I have booked a 2 nights stopover in Istanbul flying BC with TK.
Oct 25th: KUL>LHR
Nov 5th: LHR>IST (ETA IST on the 6th)
Nov 8th : IST>KUL

I just sent the email to [email protected] requesting for 2 nights accommodation at their 5* hotel. Previously I had asked them if they could provide me a list of these hotels and they gave me 3:
1. Crowne Plaza Istanbul Old City
2. Polat Renaissance Hotel
3. Sheraton İstanbul Ataköy Hotel

Would anyone know which other 5* hotels are in the list? Also, is it possible for passengers to choose? I want to stay inside the city center and among the 3 provided only the Crowne Plaza fits my preference.

Secondly, any idea about TK's Arrival Lounge? Read it is in the pipeline but when? Our ETA into IST is 5:30am. I am sure it is too early to be able to check-in. Will be excellent if we can freshen up and wait it out a bit at the Arrival Lounge.

Thirdly, I read somewhere we can either check luggage through from LHR to KUL despite the 2 nights stop-over in IST. Is it true? Any other options besides storing them in a locker at IST? What is this Luggage Drop-off Service I read about?

Thanks,
Melanie

Search this Thread
Search Engine: