Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Lefly
This thread is created for passengers with long connections in Istanbul Airport for TK.

PLEASE READ THIS WIKI CAREFULLY (especially the hotel fine print) before posting questions.

TRANSIT HOTEL (different from Stopover hotel):

TK will provide a free hotel to international transfer passengers at IST if:

- Economy Class ticket: connecting time is 12 hours or longer
- Business Class ticket: connecting time is 9 hours or longer

AND this connection must be the shortest possible option. If there is a 3-hour layover available, but you choose the 13-hour one, you are not eligible for the free transit hotel. This also applies if the shorter connection is fully booked: you still won't get the free hotel if there is a theoretical, but sold out, shorter connection.

If you need a visa to enter Turkey, you need to secure it at your own expense.
TK have a pool of hotels that they contract with, it is unfortunately not possible to know which hotel you'll end up at until you are sitting on the bus. Business class passengeres generally get five star hotels and Economy Class passengers get four star hotels. See the list on the bottom of this wiki for usual locations.

Hotel Desk E-Mail Adress: [email protected] - it's generally not necessary to email them, you can just show up
click here for Hotel Desk location

Click here for full Transit Hotel terms/conditions

STOPOVER HOTEL (different from Transit Hotel):

If you are on a round-trip ticket to-from certain cities/countries (click here for the list) and choose a connection longer than 20 hours, TK will provide one night at a four star hotel for Economy Class tickets and two nights at a five star hotel for Business Class tickets (three nights if traveling to/from USA).

At least 72 hours before your first flight, you must send an e-mail to the address that corresponds to your departure point on the list on this page (click here) and include your

full name
reservation code (PNR) or ticket number
date range for the anticipated accommodation
preferred room type (single, double or triple)
telephone and e-mail address

Visas and transfer to/from the airport are not covered by TK.

Click here for eligible origins/destinations and FAQ

TOURISTANBUL:

If you are on an international connection through IST and your connection time is 6-24 hours, you can take a free guided city tour. You must arrive at the hotel desk at least 30 minutes before the tours are scheduled to depart. After clearing immigration and leaving the baggage claim hall, turn right and go to the hotel desk (for location click here).

Touristanbul schedule and FAQ can be found here.

SLEEPING ROOMS:

Business Class and Elite Plus passengers on connections between 4 hours and 9 hours can get a private sleeping room at the M&S and Business lounges. One of the flights must be longer than eight hours and both need to be on TK, codeshare flights are excluded.

-----------------

Please list the hotel that you were provided, travel class, the Miles&Smiles or Star Alliance status of the passenger, the date, your username below and the post # that you have shared in the thread ( you could find the number at the top right side of your posts ) to create a database of passenger experiences.

For example: XXXXXXX Hotel, Business Class, M&S Elite, DD/MM/YYYY, ISTFlyer, #1

April 2019:
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by dabee69 in post #54
Renaissance Polat (Atatürk Airport), Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #79

May 2019:
Green Park Hotel ( Pendik ), IRROPS, reported by zing2istanbul in (post #753 in the TK ops from IST thread)
Crowne Plaza Aqua Florya, Business Class, TG*G, reported by bmi_Barry in post #91

June 2019:
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business Class, M&S ELPL, reported by finlandokie in post #169
August 2019:
Akgun Istanbul, economy class, per post 217
November 2019:
Polat/Renaissance, business-class E+ post 285 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31699696-post285.html)
December 2019:
Polat/Renaissance again, business-class E+ post 285

December 2020:
Polat Renaissance, business class E+

January 2021:
Polat Renaissance, business class (No Status)

November 2021:
Holiday Inn Istanbul Airport, economy class (No Status), #537
May 2022 Stopover hotel
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel, business E+

May 2022
Westside Arjaan by Rotana, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper
Centro by Rotona (transit hotel), Business, *G, Nacho
Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel (stopover hotel), business, *G, Nacho

July 2022
Pullman, Business,*G, Sandy Hopper

July 2023
Polat Renaissance, business class, TK-E, iamaho
Sheraton Otel Esenyurt - with dinner included, business class, TK-E, iamaho

September 2023
Pullman, Business, *G, SEA-Flyer
Pullman, Business, no status, SEA-Flyer
LaQuinta by Wyndham, Y E+, DaveS
Sheraton Esenyurt, Business, E+, Jaenks, assigned by my request

October 2023
Ramada Plaza Tekstilkent, Business, TK E, Lefly

Print Wikipost

TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Question about the transfer hotel eligibility. I am flying on a route where both flights are once daily. There was a schedule change so now instead of 20 hours, the stopover is 12 hours and so I have decided to change to fly out the next day instead, so I would still have some time in Istanbul (rather than just overnight). So just curious if I would be able to get 1 night free in a hotel since the earlier flight I could take would meet the criteria. If not, it's no big deal. Just wanted to know so I know whether I need to book something. (Mainly interested in the convenience of the shuttle more than anything else) Thanks for the assistance.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
Question about the transfer hotel eligibility. I am flying on a route where both flights are once daily. There was a schedule change so now instead of 20 hours, the stopover is 12 hours and so I have decided to change to fly out the next day instead, so I would still have some time in Istanbul (rather than just overnight). So just curious if I would be able to get 1 night free in a hotel since the earlier flight I could take would meet the criteria. If not, it's no big deal. Just wanted to know so I know whether I need to book something. (Mainly interested in the convenience of the shuttle more than anything else) Thanks for the assistance.
If there is no other options less than 10 hours, you would be eligible for the hotel. Also, how could there be an earlier flight if both of your departure point and arrival point has one flight each day? Specific flight numbers with the week day ( Mon, Tue... ) and the travel month would be helpful to determine a specific answer for your case if you're eligible or not.

If you think that you're eligible for the hotel service, e-mail the hotel desk and reserve your room in advance. You could find the e-mail address(es) at the WIKI section of this thread. You could either choose to e-mail the general e-mail address for all passengers or the specific e-mail address for the country of your point of departure.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
When passing by the hotel desk, have you noticed if there was any sign of the Arrival Lounge? It should be somewhere around there but as it's not ready yet, nor Turkish Airlines nor the airport doesn't give any information.
I had a chance to check the area again today and looks like they are still building the arrivals lounge - it is far from being ready.
The entire area is still under construction- not sure where exactly the lounge will be located.

ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984

I had a chance to check the area again today and looks like they are still building the arrivals lounge - it is far from being ready.
The entire area is still under construction- not sure where exactly the lounge will be located.

Thanks for these images. Yes, probably the arrivals lounge and the exclusive lounges are not the top priority of Turkish Airlines. I am wondering when would they open this lounge. As becoming Elite Plus next month, I would probably spend a lot of time there, especially when I need to wait for a Havaist shuttle.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:42 am

Thanks for these images. Yes, probably the arrivals lounge and the exclusive lounges are not the top priority of Turkish Airlines. I am wondering when would they open this lounge. As becoming Elite Plus next month, I would probably spend a lot of time there, especially when I need to wait for a Havaist shuttle.
Since you mentioned the Havaist shuttle... I took the bus from Maslak station today and can only recommend it. Clean, new bus, with WiFi, very cheap and on time! I was the only passenger... Great experience.
The Havaist website isn't very self-explanatory: it has a map of all the bus stops, but it would be helpful to have a route map (like a subway map). Took me a while to figure out which bus would actually stop at Maslak...

ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:16 am

Glad to be assistance! But I cannot find baggage storage, where we can leave bags while visiting Istanbul on the layover. Safe Travels!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum

Hotel desk, to the very right when you leave the baggage claim area

Looks like there's a separate sign for business/E/E+
was there a separate desk for those or is this something that's not yet implemented? Would be lovely.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Hotel desk, to the very right when you leave the baggage claim area

Looks like there's a separate sign for business/E/E+
was there a separate desk for those or is this something that's not yet implemented? Would be lovely.
you are right, the Hotel desk has a separate line for Elites. There might be a dedicated desk also to the left - but not sure how this would work as everybody has to pull a number.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, Marriott Platinum... Previously AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador
How is the Touristanbul operating out of ISL now?
I have a day time 0530 to 1900 layover (Friday) and am planning on doing Touristanbul with my wife
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciate :-)

[update] - should have looked at the website:

Touristanbul is moving to Istanbul Airport!
Due to our move to Istanbul Airport, we will not be holding tours between 06 April 2019 - 13 April 2019. Tours will continue at Istanbul Airport, from 14 April 2019 onwards.

Tour hours from Istanbul Airport:
08.00-11.30 / 08.30-15.00 / 08.30-18.00 / 12.00-18.00 / 16.00-21.30

Enjoy our daily Bosphorus tours from 1 May - 31 September (18:00-23:00).
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by cager; Apr 10, 2019 at 1:43 pm Reason: Update
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: TK *G
Anyone know how long can it take to walk from arrival gate to the hotel desk?

I will be on TK18 YYZ-IST, with scheduled arrival of 3:15pm, is there enough time to make the 4pm tour? I am in business class so can get off plane early and use fast track passport control (if any is in operation), and I can walk fast.

Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by songsc
Anyone know how long can it take to walk from arrival gate to the hotel desk?
It depends on the parking stand of your aircraft. I could take 20-25 minutes ( including the taxi to the gate/stand ) if you're lucky and if you're not and you end up parking to a remote stand, the total journey starting from your arrival to Istanbul Airport and to the hotel desk could take up to an hour.

I will be on TK18 YYZ-IST, with scheduled arrival of 3:15pm, is there enough time to make the 4pm tour? I am in business class so can get off plane early and use fast track passport control (if any is in operation), and I can walk fast.

Thanks.
It really depends on the arrival position for your flight. There is a dedicated fast-track lane at the passport control at arrivals but I don't know if it's operational at the moment.
songsc likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: TK *G
It depends on the parking stand of your aircraft. I could take 20-25 minutes ( including the taxi to the gate/stand ) if you're lucky and if you're not and you end up parking to a remote stand, the total journey starting from your arrival to Istanbul Airport and to the hotel desk could take up to an hour.

It really depends on the arrival position for your flight. There is a dedicated fast-track lane at the passport control at arrivals but I don't know if it's operational at the moment.
Thanks for your response.

The Bosporus Cruise for business class is currently not available, and the new cruise tour for everyone doesn't start until May 1st. I guess I will bet on an early arrival (which is generally the case for TK18), parking at a gate near passport control (no clue about the likelihood of parking at C/E gates) , the fast track in operation, me walking very fast, and they are not too strict about the 30 minute cut off. If it doesn't work out I will arrange something on my own.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:25 pm

So, any confirmation wrt. ability to go into transit area first and then pass through immigration?
We will have a very early flight into IST followed by a long connection (4am to 6pm) - was hoping to get to the lounge first, and then go out for the "Touristanbul".
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for your response.

The Bosporus Cruise for business class is currently not available, and the new cruise tour for everyone doesn't start until May 1st. I guess I will bet on an early arrival (which is generally the case for TK18), parking at a gate near passport control (no clue about the likelihood of parking at C/E gates) , the fast track in operation, me walking very fast, and they are not too strict about the 30 minute cut off. If it doesn't work out I will arrange something on my own.
No chance of C or E gates. All gates in that concourse are designed for narrow body aircraft.

Originally Posted by tr3k
So, any confirmation wrt. ability to go into transit area first and then pass through immigration?
We will have a very early flight into IST followed by a long connection (4am to 6pm) - was hoping to get to the lounge first, and then go out for the "Touristanbul".
It should be technically possible but nobody knows where to proceed. As Istanbul Airport has care points at the airside as well, I don't think there would be a path to the transfer desk similar to Atatürk but there should be some way to access the lounge and exit the airport.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:20 pm

It should be technically possible but nobody knows where to proceed. As Istanbul Airport has care points at the airside as well, I don't think there would be a path to the transfer desk similar to Atatürk but there should be some way to access the lounge and exit the airport.
Sure hope someone discovers it before we travel.

I guess by that time the arrival lounge might be operational, so that's one way to handle this situation (and, perhaps, thats what TK intends - except that it does not help *Gs)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.