Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatürk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Turkish Air
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, the admission policy for sleeping rooms in the Miles&Smiles Lounge is that;
- Elite Plus members who has an international-international connection between 4h and 7h with the duration of one of their flights being more than 8 hours.

Technically Business pax are also allowed to use the M&S Lounge so, Business Class with the same layover condition could use those sleeping rooms as well.
They're rejecting everyone. Only about 1 of 10 people that come to ask the drones for a place to sleep actually gets one.

Why would anyone with a layover from 15:00 to 01:00 need a quiet place to rest... that's ridicu.... oh wait...

Last edited by jay49; Apr 23, 2019 at 9:33 am
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jay49............what on Earth are you talking about? I can assure you that no one over the last decade or so has ever said that the BA "Business lounge" at LHR (or I believe that you mean Galleries anyway) is better than the TK Busines lounge, either the old one or the new one, and I say that not only as a BA GCFL, but challenge you to find anyone on the BA board here on FT to concur with you. As for the BA F lounge, forgetting the fact that it is a FIRST lounge and not a Biz lounge, it does not hold a candle to the TK lounge. As for QR, yeas Safwa is better, it is a FIRST lounge, but Mourjan is not in anyway a better lounge, the food is and has always been mediocre at best, and unless you like having large water features to walk around, it offers very little.

As for the rest, as the lounge is/was considered one of the five best worldwide, they did not have to do too much to improve, did they. You don't like it that much, and have such a seething hatred of it and all things TK? Then perhaps you should find another carrier, and I say that as perhaps the FT member who in fact makes the most criticisms of TK, when they are justified, not just making some random things up.
johan rebel, CoweyB, DaveS and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:43 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
I have reviewed & reopened the thread after some rules violations. As always the FT rules apply https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

starflyergold
TK forum moderator
DaveS likes this.

Last edited by starflyergold; Apr 23, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by jay49
This lounge is awful. It's just like the old lounge in a new building. As previously noted, they moved over all the old furniture. So no modern seating with indegrated power. Also, the most shocking thing, they literally moved the old floor boards. You can easily see this is the same old squeaky, rickety, wooden floor from the old lounge by looking at all the wear and tear on it.

It totally escapes me why people give this lounge good ratings. It is big yes, but it isn't good. It's also frequently overcrowded. The food and drink offerings are very mediocre.

If you want to see a far superior lounge try Qatar's in Doha or British Airways business and/or first in London. Even some prime class lounges are far superior to this tired old shtick from Turkish.

Very disappointing.

Also the "exclusive lounge" is not open yet and won't be open until July.

Perhaps the most egregious screwjob at the "new" airport and lounge is that they flatly refuse to give you a sleeping space unless you have a layover that is between exactly 4 and 9 hours (regardless of the time of day) despite availability. Their old crappy furniture seems almost designed to prevent comfortable sleeping. This "policy" is almost funny because in the horribly designed new airport you will never have time for any kind of real sleep with "just" a four hour layover. If you are unlucky enough to have a "bus gate" in this "new world class airport" you might spend one hour from the time the wheels hit the ground to actually getting inside the terminal where the lounges are (especially if you have to do an unnecessary double security check which is still all the rage at Istanbul new airport but seems to be random if you have to do it or not).

I literally cannot think of another business that is so spiteful and ungrateful towards their most loyal customers. Even having elite plus gets you nowhere with this foul organization.
You’re entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else, but there’s much that’s off in your post.

The reused floorboard theory doesn’t make sense, they didn’t rip up the old lounge before it closed. That being said, hardwood floorboards can and should be reused!

’old furniture’ - while it’s true that they moved some of the white chairs, there is more new and improved furniture all over the place

’impossible to sleep’ - you must have missed the new daybeds. Not ideal, but definitely a nap space!

’food and drinks mediocre’ - again, de gustibus, etc...but the vast majority of people think otherwise.

’primeclass lounges superior’ - I have yet to see one of those.

The only point I’ll gladly concede is the crappy restrictions on the suites, it’s a gripe of mine as well.
johan rebel, TPJ and hugolover like this.

Last edited by gr8pirate; Apr 23, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
’old furniture’ - while it’s true that they moved some of the white chairs, there is more new and improved furniture all over the place
I'm sorry, but of course they did not move the same white chairs, or any other furniture. Everything in the lounge is brand new, the white chairs look like the old one, but if you look closely the chair legs are black in the new lounge, while in the old one it was silver. Also the design is slightly different.

I honestly cannot see to anything to complain about this lounge, TK has done an amazing job. Entry requirements? Yes they may be revised, but still, the lounge is spectacular.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: A3*S, FB*S, AerClub*S, Hertz PC
Apologies if this has already been answered. Tomorrow I am flying J with TK (DUB-ATH) and I have approximately 2 hours layover in IST.

From you experience is this sufficient time to access the lounge (M&S or Business whichever is closer)? If I understood properly I need to go through passport screening?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:22 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by DUBBRU
Apologies if this has already been answered. Tomorrow I am flying J with TK (DUB-ATH) and I have approximately 2 hours layover in IST.

From you experience is this sufficient time to access the lounge (M&S or Business whichever is closer)? If I understood properly I need to go through passport screening?
NO - they kept the EU One Stop Security. No transit security for EU originating flights (same as it was at Ataturk).
DUBBRU and Squalusss like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by DUBBRU

2 hours could be marginal. It depends how many times your aircraft taxis around the terminal before reaching the gate and how far the gate is from the lounge. If you can get off the aircraft quick and have your route to the lounge worked out from the map, you may be in luck.
DUBBRU likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I landed from BKK 27 april at 04h at gate B12 and had a long walk to transfer terminal floor, about 5 people in line at each checkpoint.
Once down with rolling staircase I did not see indications for M§S lounge nor business lounge.
I knew from reading here both were up there near C1 and E1, but where to find the staircase up?
Looking up i saw a big notice left side mentionning Business lounge, still not sure how te get up there.
I walked towards E gates and found the rolling stair case around gate E1, entries are somewhat hidden.
Not really happy not seeing any indicating once you getdown at departures floor.
I very much liked the biz lounge, I find it an improvement over the old lounge, easier to navigate.
Was there from 05h to 08h, not overly crowded at all.
As for the airport itself a vast improvement, I did not like the old crowded Ataturk airport.
I guess the long walks are inevitable...
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by tartempion
I landed from BKK 27 april at 04h at gate B12 and had a long walk to transfer terminal floor, about 5 people in line at each checkpoint.
Once down with rolling staircase I did not see indications for M§S lounge nor business lounge.
I knew from reading here both were up there near C1 and E1, but where to find the staircase up?
Looking up i saw a big notice left side mentionning Business lounge, still not sure how te get up there.
I walked towards E gates and found the rolling stair case around gate E1, entries are somewhat hidden.
Not really happy not seeing any indicating once you getdown at departures floor.
I very much liked the biz lounge, I find it an improvement over the old lounge, easier to navigate.
Was there from 05h to 08h, not overly crowded at all.
As for the airport itself a vast improvement, I did not like the old crowded Ataturk airport.
I guess the long walks are inevitable...
Thanks for sharing your experience.

The reason why the lounge entrance is in a hidden place is that in Atatürk Airport, there were many people without status and flying in Economy Class that thought that the lounge was the boarding gate. I've always noticed Economy class passengers sitting in front of the lounge ( on the floor ), trying to enter when they're ineligible etc... and obviously this was not a good image.

Long walks are inevitable if you decide to pay for the buggy service €5 per ride. However, I think that some passengers would request disability services to avoid these walks. I've seen these kinds of people requesting disability services to avoid queues at immigration and security lines in Turkey as they have a dedicated lane at each checkpoint.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Personally I don't see what the problem is with the long walks. Particularly after a long-haul flights, it's quite nice to have a stroll to stretch the legs and I certainly don't see it as a negative in a large airy airport. Another one of my pet hates is the transit system in airports with multiple terminals. The last thing I want to do after a long flight is have to wait for the train and then have to squeeze in with all the other passengers. Much better to be able to walk at my leisure. Speaking as a healthy middle-aged man, obviously different for some people.

I love the look of the new airport and lounges, and can't wait to visit next month. Well done Turkish Airlines and the airport authorities for the relatively smooth move to their new home. ^
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by headingwest
Personally I don't see what the problem is with the long walks...
1. Less time in the lounge.
2. Running a long distance when in short layover and the arriving a/c is late.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerby

1. Less time in the lounge.
2. Running a long distance when in short layover and the arriving a/c is late.
Well, as far as I understand it there are 'short connection points' if you have a short connection, so I think the second point is a bit of a non-issue.

Regarding the lounge, yes, I agree that less time in the lounge is a trade-off. That said, the larger the airport, the more of an issue it will always be. Let's take one of those airports where there is a transit system and it'll more than likely waste time - the wait for the train - waiting for everyone to get in - transferring to the appropriate terminal. Those factors can add quite a bit of time anyway. Looking at the food & beverages offered in the lounge, I think I will be grateful for a bit of a walk anyway after stuffing my face!

This one terminal design was never going to please everyone, but I don't agree with a lot of the negativity regarding the long walks.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
As of yesterday apparently, lounge entry rules are in effect; only business class passengers can use the business lounge. For the first few weeks Star Gold passengers could also use it, but that’s not the case anymore.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, Marriott Platinum... Previously AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador
How are the lockers in the International Miles&Smiles lounge? Is it the same disaster as with IST where some lockers worked, some didn't? Or are they new lockers?

Also, if I am on a layover from 0530-1910 (AUH-IST-ATH), can I enter the lounge at 0600 store a bag in the locker (if I get one), and then re-enter the lounge at 1600 to retrieve my bag before my flight? I plan on heading out and exploring a bit.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.