Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatürk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet
Arrivals Lounge: No details, no plans as of yet

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
LoyaltyLobby has a report on the business class lounge

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/04/08/...​​
yes and if you look at the sign on one of the pictures under "businesss" it says "star alliance gold"
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Running with Miles published a walkthrough video. https://runningwithmiles.boardingare...-class-lounge/
CoweyB, headingwest and jhneoh like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:51 am

The review here mentions that the executive lounge will only be open for long-haul business class passengers, which makes sense to me:

https://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/review-brand-new-turkish-airlines-business-lounge-at-the-istanbul-new-airport/
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
There are various reports/reviews out there already, so I’ll only post my observations:

At the hub of the airport, you’ll find the M&S lounge on a mezzanine on the right and the business lounge on the left. (EDIT: it’s the other way round, sorry)
The exclusive lounge isn’t open yet, but it looks like it will be up another level, right in the middle. That physical setup/location alone looks amazing!

The M&S/biz lounges are virtually identical as far as setup and offerings go, with the exception that the business one has a (yet empty) hall that’s supposed to become an art gallery where the M&S one has a cinema.

Both are partitioned in multiple smaller sections with distinct themes/looks. This makes the lounges feel smaller than they actually are if that makes sense. I mean it in a good way.

A welcome improvement are lounge chairs overlooking the concourse and semi-private ‘cabanas’ with little sofas. These are short, but can be slept on in a pinch. Spent my time here, I think these will be much sought after spots.

There’s 12 showers 12 sleeping suites in both biz and M&S lounges, I was told that the access rules for the suites are the same as in Atatürk: 4-7 hours layovers to/from long haul and for business and E+ passengers only. Damn, I was hoping they would change or relax these rules a little, not once have I found a connection that would qualify.

Waiting time in business lounge for shower around midnight: 10 minutes. No wait at m&s lounge at 10am.

There are two sets of bathrooms in each lounge, a much needed improvement from Atatürk.

So far so good - new IST gets a thumbs up from me.

Last edited by gr8pirate; Apr 11, 2019 at 9:09 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
There are various reports/reviews out there already, so I’ll only post my observations:

At the hub of the airport, you’ll find the M&S lounge on a mezzanine on the right and the business lounge on the left. The exclusive lounge isn’t open yet, but it looks like it will be up another level, right in the middle. That physical setup/location alone looks amazing!

The M&S/biz lounges are virtually identical as far as setup and offerings go, with the exception that the business one has a (yet empty) hall that’s supposed to become an art gallery where the M&S one has a cinema.

Both are partitioned in multiple smaller sections with distinct themes/looks. This makes the lounges feel smaller than they actually are if that makes sense. I mean it in a good way.

A welcome improvement are lounge chairs overlooking the concourse and semi-private ‘cabanas’ with little sofas. These are short, but can be slept on in a pinch. Spent my time here, I think these will be much sought after spots.

There’s 12 showers 12 sleeping suites in both biz and M&S lounges, I was told that the access rules for the suites are the same as in Atatürk: 4-7 hours layovers to/from long haul and for business and E+ passengers only. Damn, I was hoping they would change or relax these rules a little, not once have I found a connection that would qualify.

Waiting time in business lounge for shower around midnight: 10 minutes. No wait at m&s lounge at 10am.

There are two sets of bathrooms in each lounge, a much needed improvement from Atatürk.

Do you feel is going to get crowded like the old one used to?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
Do you feel is going to get crowded like the old one used to?
People complained about the old one being crowded years before I felt it got bad, so this is subjective. It was crowded way beyond what I find okay the handful of times I visited last month.

The new lounge should be enough space for the time being and an additional exclusive lounge should help once that’s done. There’s space for TK to spread out the lounges if need be if passenger numbers skyrocket before the next phase of the expansion is finished.

Will it get crowded? - Probably, eventually at times.

Will it get crowded like Atatürk IST 2019? - I really hope not.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: TK Gold
I have not been the actual lounge yet (will be there in July) but I already miss the spiral staircase that feels quite cosy/warm to me. Seems like the lounge are big and tidy from the video posted above!
TPACjv likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:46 pm

The new lounge is impressive.

Visited the old lounge couple days before the move - the yogurt drink, manti, cakes are there in the new lounge. In the shower room, the same furniture and amenities appear in the new lounge. The got rid of the "stone" shampoo, soap dispenser and replaced with new ones.

The open air lounge is certainly a plus to the new impressive TK lounge.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S
someone post a new video
mkm4 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by mandilmos
new lounge
someone post a new video
it really looks fantastic and quite nice to see some familiar things from the old lounge brought over as well.

It was also interesting to see inside a sleeping room and the prayer room about 9 minutes in.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: NZ: ELT; CX: *G

I’m at the lounge now (7:30AM on a Thursday), and the shower wait time is a very meager 2 hours. That’s right. No typo. I was given an electronic buzzer and told to have a sleep. The lady showed me the waiting list on the screen and it was an infinitely long scroll to get to the end. It seems a totally missed opportunity to have chosen to build only 12 showers, given the incredible amount of space available.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by thewanderingv

I’m at the lounge now (7:30AM on a Thursday), and the shower wait time is a very meager 2 hours. That’s right. No typo. I was given an electronic buzzer and told to have a sleep. The lady showed me the waiting list on the screen and it was an infinitely long scroll to get to the end. It seems a totally missed opportunity to have chosen to build only 12 showers, given the incredible amount of space available.

eek. And so it begins. I thought 24 showers total were going to be an improvement over the dozen (?) they had at Atatürk.

was that the M&S or the business lounge?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
This lounge seems a missed opportunity all around; same furniture, same food, not enough showers, noisy open space over the terminal.
Let's just hope they are gonna improve things over time, like they did in the old airport.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Just a small rant re showers. It used to be horrible queues but I always wondered how much is it really due to demand and how much due to inefficient processes TK has regarding everything or how much finally due to dirty pax how dwell half an hour there with all makeup and oceanic water consumption etc so that another half hour is needed for cleaning.
For me, if I want luxuous shower I go to a spa. In a lounge shower, I am done in 2 minutes in and out. Just saying...
Squalusss likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
I will be arriving at IST on Wed 1 May at 0630, leaving six hours later at 1300. I am travelling TK economy and no longer have lounge status. I know I could take the free bus tour, but I would have to exit immigration and buy a visa (I have an Irish passport). I would prefer to pay for lounge access and have a rest. Is there a 'paid access' airside lounge in the new airport? All suggestions appreciated. Grantosol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.