Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Unlike like Atatrk Airport, at Istanbul Airport there is more than one international lounge. Eligibility depends on your travel of class and your frequent flyer card status. PLEASE READ THIS WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.

For discussions and questions regarding outstation lounges ( Moscow, Nairobi, Washington DC ) and all other domestic lounges ( including SAW ) please refer to the respective forum.
For PriorityPass Lounges in Istanbul Airport (IST) please consult this thread in the Europe forum or the Istanbul Airport Master Thread for questions regarding contract lounges.

This thread covers TK Lounges at IST airport.

Chart of Eligibility for Lounges:

Thanks to DELLAS for sharing this chart.

International Lounges:
Miles&Smiles Lounge: This lounge is open to all Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus card holders and Star Alliance Gold status holders along with one of their guests when flying Turkish Airlines or another Star Alliance member. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus members are also able to guest family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Also Turkish Corporate Club members are allowed to access this lounge with one fellow guest who holds a valid boarding pass on Turkish Airlines.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate C1 to the mezzanine level.

Business Lounge: This lounge would be open for all Business Class passengers on Turkish Airlines and Star Alliance partners. Unfortunately, no guests are allowed to this lounge.

To access this lounge take the elevators across gate E1 to the mezzanine level.

Both lounges are non-smoking. The nearest "terrace" (IST does not advertise smoking areas) is: For the business lounge: exit via the escalators, turn left and left again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the right hand side. For the M&S lounge: exit via the escalators, turn right and right again, past the public rest areas, and the terrace is on the left hand side. In both cases a 3 minute walk.

Exclusive Lounge: This lounge will be Turkish Airlines's top tier lounge, no opening date is in sight. Business Class passengers holding Elite or Elite Plus status on Miles&Smiles will be able to access this lounge. There is no information about if non-TK-*G pax traveling in TK J will be admitted to the lounge. Also, the features of the lounge remain unknown.

Arrivals Lounge: Similar to Atatrk Airport, there will also be an arrivals lounge which will be opened in a future unspecified date. However, the lounge hours and eligibility are not known yet. In Atatrk Airport, the arrivals lounge operated from 04:30 to 12:30 for arriving international Turkish Airlines Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers on arriving international Turkish Airlines flights.

Both the Business Lounge and the Miles&Smiles Lounge have showers, sleeping rooms and Turkish speciality food.

To use the sleeping rooms, you must have a connection time between 4h and 9h and the duration of one of your flights must be more than 8 hours. Unfortunately, Miles&Smiles Elite card holders and Star Alliance Gold card holders traveling in Economy Class are not eligible to use the sleeping room service. For sleeping room related issues please consult the this thread.

None of the international lounges have direct lounge access from the check-in hall; however, priority immigration and security checkpoint are available both for transfer passengers and passengers starting their journey in Istanbul.

Domestic Lounges:

The domestic lounge has two sections; one for Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles Classic Plus and Elite card holders, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members (if they have a same day onward international connection); and the other one for Business Class passengers and Miles&Smiles Elite Plus card holders.

Miles&Smiles Elite passengers, Star Alliance Gold card holders and Turkish Corporate Club members can invite one guest into the lounge. Miles&Smiles Elite Plus passengers can also guest one passenger or their family members regardless of the number of people (spouse and children). Miles&Smiles Classic Plus card holders do not have the right to guest someone.

The lounge has a separate entrance and check-in lobby from the street, along with a special valet parking drop-off point. Transfer passengers and passengers who decide to use the main terminal building can also access this lounge by using the elevators across gates G6 and G7. Be aware that there are no lounge signs within the terminal so it's advised to follow signs for gates G6 and G7.
Print Wikipost

TK in Istanbul Airport: Thread #2 - Lounges

Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Without an onward BP you will get nowhere near the airside lounges. You need to shower at your hotel.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 12:18 pm

If one has come off of a TK longhaul flight in business class... but the onward connection is in economy, is there any lounge access?
Old Aug 7, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by arf1410
If one has come off of a TK longhaul flight in business class... but the onward connection is in economy, is there any lounge access?
No, unless you are *A Gold.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
does anyone have any info on the mass eviction from the M&S lounge theater today?

This morning (15 Aug) around 8 or 9 AM I wandered into the theater to find staff checking passports and boarding passes as they asked people to leave the theater so it could be cleaned. A few passengers strenuously objected to showing their passports, even if they were willing to show their BPs. Overhead one pax say he'd been in the lounge for 3 days. Staff seemed on edge as well, which is what give me the thought that there might be a lot more to the story.

ETA: The lights have been on in the theatre all day as well.

Last edited by TPACjv; Aug 15, 2023 at 12:18 pm
Old Aug 15, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, FB Silver, TK Elite/*G, ITA Premium, Hilton Gold; BW Diamond Select; Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by TPACjv
This morning (15 Aug) around 8 or 9 AM I wandered into the theater to find staff checking passports and boarding passes as they asked people to leave the theater so it could be cleaned. A few passengers strenuously objected to showing their passports, even if they were willing to show their BPs. Overhead one pax say he'd been in the lounge for 3 days. Staff seemed on edge as well, which is what give me the thought that there might be a lot more to the story.
3 days is extreme! I experienced (15 Aug around 17:00) more strick check of credentials to pass through the fast track international transfer lines
ankomonkey and TPACjv like this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 4:09 am

How are the Lounge access rules in practice now? Can I bring a friend as a guest when departing as TK Elite on TK metal if the friend is departing on RAM (no status, economy)? We are meeting in IST and want to go to the lounge to chat there.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You friend will not be allowed to enter

Find a spot to talk in other parts of the airport.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You friend will not be allowed to enter

Find a spot to talk in other parts of the airport.
Can you please refer me to the access rules/policy which say so? I cannot find anything like that online. What I find does NOT set requirements for the guest like that. The only requirement I can find is that the guest holds an international economy ticket (requirement that it needs to be on TK is not stated). I know Star Alliance rules differ and require the guest to be on the same flight as the *G pax, but TK rules do not have that requirement.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But your friend is not even flying TK or Star Alliance; why should he/she be allowed? It is similar to bringing a guest from the "street"/from totally outside.

You can refer to no rule etc, but the fact is that with 99% certainty you/your friend will receive a "No" at the lounge entrance.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:25 am

But your friend is not even flying TK or Star Alliance; why should he/she be allowed? It is similar to bringing a guest from the "street"/from totally outside.

You can refer to no rule etc, but the fact is that with 99% certainty you/your friend will receive a "No" at the lounge entrance.
Wait, so you dont have a reference to the rules, and this is just your personal opinion? The reasoning why my friend would in most cases be accepted as my guest is: Because bringing a guest is MY BENEFIT and not my friends. It is to make my time in the lounge more enjoyable with a company. I brought guests not flying the same alirline or alliance many times to many lounges. It is not something so extraordinary as you are trying to picture it.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, give a try and report back!

you are right, it is my personal opinion based on my experience and the attitude of the TK lounge staff, so I'm probably wrong on this...
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:19 am

Im waiting for ISTflyer to maybe give some valuable information.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 7:12 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
OK, give a try and report back!

you are right, it is my personal opinion based on my experience and the attitude of the TK lounge staff, so I'm probably wrong on this...
You are wrong that you are probably wrong on this

Last edited by flyerby; Aug 28, 2023 at 10:32 am
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by flyerby

Doesnt say anything about other airlines. Or am I reading that wrong?
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:52 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by MitjaPod
Doesnt say anything about other airlines. Or am I reading that wrong?
IMHO you are not - RAM is oneWorld while the rule clearly reads 'on a different Star Alliance flight'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.